children and tv Watch

This discussion is closed.
happyny
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
hi!im asking for your general thoughts on the representation of ethnic minorities in childrens tv in the uk. Do you feel it is truly reflective of the multicultural society we live in? Is it important to give the child a well rounded idea of the country he/she is growing up in? Do you think we should represent ethnics in childrens tv more carefully, not by using stereotypes?(eg indians owning newsagent/muslims have arranged marriages). I will be very interested to hear other students thoughts on this topic.
thankyou
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happyny)
hi!im asking for your general thoughts on the representation of ethnic minorities in childrens tv in the uk. Do you feel it is truly reflective of the multicultural society we live in? Is it important to give the child a well rounded idea of the country he/she is growing up in? Do you think we should represent ethnics in childrens tv more carefully, not by using stereotypes?(eg indians owning newsagent/muslims have arranged marriages). I will be very interested to hear other students thoughts on this topic.
thankyou
I suppose the representation of ethenic minorities seems like there are more than there actually are (well were I live anyway). I don't have a problem with this though because the more exposure the better and it's good to get a message of acceptance accross through to children through TV being as this is one of the things children learn about the wider world.

I don't think they are represented any worse than the ethenic majority and the writers don't seem to give all the black people gangsta roles. Usually the people are just characters bad and good despite their race. Although I would say you do see a lot of Indians owning newsagents but this is quite a fair portrayal.
Powerline
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I suppose the representation of ethenic minorities seems like there are more than there actually are (well were I live anyway). I don't have a problem with this though because the more exposure the better and it's good to get a message of acceptance accross through to children through TV being as this is one of the things children learn about the wider world.

I don't think they are represented any worse than the ethenic majority and the writers don't seem to give all the black people gangsta roles. Usually the people are just characters bad and good despite their race. Although I would say you do see a lot of Indians owning newsagents but this is quite a fair portrayal.
I agree....there should be more of a range of the multicultural society-not just stereotypes....
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
I agree....there should be more of a range of the multicultural society-not just stereotypes....
If you don't stereotype then how are people meant to understand what/ who you're trying to represent...
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
can't stand any children on tv, none of them represent real life in anyway, ethnicity is irrelivant
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (206)
18.61%
No (673)
60.79%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.6%

Watched Threads