The Student Room Group

Can I go to two unis?

I have an offer at LSE that I am definitely taking up.

But UEL have also given me an offer. There is massive overlap between the two courses and financing the two degrees isn't an issue.

Why I want to go to UEL also is because of their fantastic sports facilities which LSE simply doesn't have.

Is it imperative that UEL use UCAS to accept me? I just want to keep LSE with UCAS and UEL independent of that and don't want the two unis to know because I'm sure they'll both have issues with it.

What can I do?

Edit: thank you to the mod who deleted all the abusive comments. This is a genuine question. My explanation for wanting to study at both was presented in a post I made a while ago but basically UEL have really good sports and company start-up facilities as well as wanting to get me involved in their executive organisation.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to one or the other. You can't go to two; that's the point of having a single FIRM choice. Plus, you wouldn't have the time, regardless of a lack of financial issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Not at the same time. You need to choose one of them.
No you really can't go to two uni's...Just pick one.
Reply 4
Not possible..................
Op was certainly hedging his bets by applying to both LSE and UEL...
No you can't. Even if you could that's mightily unfair on the person you're taking a place from.
What? If lack of sports facilities at LSE is a major concern to you, can't you just join a gym and sports clubs, since money doesn't seem to be an issue for you. I'm pretty sure you can find sports facilities in London that you'll be able to use without having to enrol at 2 different universities!
Reply 8
Unless you happen to have a clone of yourself lying around, no.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Go to LSE and use UEL's sports facility ?
Reply 10
Original post by Jam'
:I I'm disappointed - I generally like your posts.

No, I'm not trolling.

And for those who are using this unusual 'logic' argument against me, let me ask you this :

What's illogical about:

Finding two institutions offering two different things in ways that will benefit you in different ways and then pursuing both?

UEL has Olympic-level sporting facilities. They invest a lot in it. They also have a business-centre where you can rent out an office on-site and manage your company from there. The director of the school met with me and she was very eager to have me on board. She told me that she would be able to offer me a lot of opportunities if I went there.

Now look at it this way:

LSE have far stronger academics. I'm going to get something, a certificate, that looks muh better from LSE - I'll learn much more there and this will be a name employers are familiar with and more comfortable with. However, in terms of attention and opportunities, they are plentiful, HOWEVER, they are spread over a large cohort of extremely intelligent students - it's easy to get lost as phased out as an average student at a really good university and therefore opportunities are harder to come by.

On the other hand, the degree from UEL won't look as good. But I will get attention. I'll be one of the highest attainers there and as a result I'll get a lot of attention. When external figures come in, the Uni will want them to meet me; when events are run, I will be involved; when opportunities come up, they'll be delivered straight to me. Being at the top of a not-so-great university has its pros because of the way you stand out.

There WILL be high-profile figures who visit UEL, maybe not as often at LSE but they'll still attend.

Maybe in terms of time ill be a little hard pressed BUT I don't think that's enough for people to be branding me 'troll', 'stupid' and 'illogical'.

I'm massively disappointed in this forum.

no you can't go to two unis, and I'm surprised you were even smart enough to get in to either with this logic. If you're so desperate to go to both, you could always do a undergraduate degree at lse and a postgraduate degree at uel - or vice versa. But if it's only lse's sport's facilities that are holding you back, than that's a pretty stupid reason to not go, I'm sure there are numerous sports facilities in London.
Reply 11
If you say that a degree from LSE will look better to employers and that the course will benefit you more academically, go there. Remember what you're actually going to university for, I.e. a good degree and better employment prospects! Besides, why the hell would you want to give yourself all that extra work?
Reply 12
Original post by Casshern1456
Hold on. At one of the uni's LSE namely you have a better and wider variety of resources,higher calibre of students to network with, more employment opportunity after graduation. Why miss out on this to get a better sports facility, just sign up to a gym/club - isn't that what people do. :K:

Thanks for the reply, esp as it's helpful and not abusive.

The issue with just a gym is that you don't get the coaching, the physio, the push that UEL give. They spend millions on their sporting department; they have quite a few students who go on to perform at the Olympics - it's such an amazing facility it'd be a shame to pass up.

Original post by maryamzahid
if only.... but seriously I am certain that you can't. This is because the university will need to give another applicant a place at their university and it would be unfair if you already have another place at different university. You can have one as an insurance but there is only ONE firm which will be the university that you will go to.

Thanks for being polite :smile:. Damn this is annoying though haha :frown: I think it would be nice to attend both.

I don't think it's much of an issue surrounding fairness. I don't think UEL generally fill all of their places so I'd be doing them a favour to be honest.

The director of the Uni said that they would be very keen for me to be an ambassador there and really get involved with their operation which just sounds phenomenon. It feels like a natural thing for me to do, and here's why: I've been working since I was 15-years-old and I'm now on a 25k salary and then OTE of about 3-7k, I just feel as though I need to be massively involved - almost like I'm doing a job. It'll be a very foreign feeling for me otherwise.
Thanks for the reply, esp as it's helpful and not abusive.

The issue with just a gym is that you don't get the coaching, the physio, the push that UEL give. They spend millions on their sporting department; they have quite a few students who go on to perform at the Olympics - it's such an amazing facility it'd be a shame to pass up.

Entirely depends. Do you want to go into academic or start working afterwards or train to become an Olympic star at Rio 2016? The choice is yours! :h:
Reply 14
I don't see what is actually wrong with the original question. Nor do I see what is wrong with being able to speak the English language correctly. I am quite shocked because the last time that I visited this forum, I was given a lot of support and I think everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

#justsaying
Reply 15
Original post by Exon
Unless you happen to have a clone of yourself lying around, no.

I generally love the comments on this thread!:colone:
Original post by Jam'

I don't think it's much of an issue surrounding fairness. I don't think UEL generally fill all of their places so I'd be doing them a favour to be honest.

This probably why people are being less than polite to you as you sound incredibly smug. Also sorry but it is still unfair because you could be taking a place away you don't know for a fact you aren't.

Anyway like others have said you just have to decide whether you want sport or a more highly regarded uni. Which do you think will offer you more career opportunities in the future? Give you more networking opportunity? How important is sport to your life plan? Answering those questions should help you decide which you prefer.

I hope you make a choice you're happy with :smile:

PS you could always go to LSE and then transfer for 2nd year if you don't like it (I'm assuming it will be easier to trasfer from LSE to UEL rather than the other way round).
This can't be a real thread now, is it? I'm not trying to be abusive here but you must be trolling. It just sounds like you have picked these two, well.. quite different unis on purpose.
Have you thought about going through adjustment to another university which is highly regarded and has good sport facilities like Loughborough?
I think there will be something in the exam regulations that says you cannot study for two degrees at the same time - so the short answer is no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending