The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do Geology without Physics A level?

I'm about to start A levels with Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Classics and Further Maths. I could take Physics outside of school but I will have bio, chem and maths anyway... although a lot of Geology applicants seem to have physics. I know for Geophysics that is a given requirement, however I didn't know Geology was the course I would be considering, therefore I didn't think to pick Physics. Has anyone else been successful without physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by emilierichards
I'm about to start A levels with Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Classics and Further Maths. I could take Physics outside of school but I will have bio, chem and maths anyway... although a lot of Geology applicants seem to have physics. I know for Geophysics that is a given requirement, however I didn't know Geology was the course I would be considering, therefore I didn't think to pick Physics. Has anyone else been successful without physics?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes plenty of people get in without physics. While it is a useful subject to have, it is not necessary for admission for most departments. Many departments will give those without an A level in physics additional teaching in the first year to catch up. Given your maths background this shouldn't be too difficult for you. So don't worry about it.

You have an excellent subject combination for Geology - 2 core sciences and 2 maths. This will put you in a strong position when applying.
Yeah it's easily done. Many universities just require two sciences, so you'll be just fine :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Zottula
Yes plenty of people get in without physics. While it is a useful subject to have, it is not necessary for admission for most departments. Many departments will give those without an A level in physics additional teaching in the first year to catch up. Given your maths background this shouldn't be too difficult for you. So don't worry about it.

You have an excellent subject combination for Geology - 2 core sciences and 2 maths. This will put you in a strong position when applying.

Thank you for your input, this has made my day! I'm glad I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts to take a Physics A level outside of school! So my chances won't be less if I don't have Physics? What if I wanted to do Geophysics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you for your input, this has made my day! I'm glad I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts to take a Physics A level outside of school! So my chances won't be less if I don't have Physics? What if I wanted to do Geophysics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to do Geophysics you won't get in without physics A level (I expect this will be the case for most geophysics courses). However, I know that at my university (Imperial) you can apply for dual honours Geology and Geophysics without an A level in physics so long as you have maths. You'll find most departments have quite a lot of flexibility and you can transfer between degree paths fairly easily within the first year or so.
Reply 5
Original post by Zottula
If you want to do Geophysics you won't get in without physics A level (I expect this will be the case for most geophysics courses). However, I know that at my university (Imperial) you can apply for dual honours Geology and Geophysics without an A level in physics so long as you have maths. You'll find most departments have quite a lot of flexibility and you can transfer between degree paths fairly easily within the first year or so.

Ahh thanks :smile: that sounds very reasonable. How do you find the course at imperial? Certainly a uni I will apply for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ahh thanks :smile: that sounds very reasonable. How do you find the course at imperial? Certainly a uni I will apply for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's excellent. Very friendly department, lots of support available and good facilities. Lecturers are generally very good, enthusiastic about the subject and the important thing is that they actually enjoy teaching us.
Reply 7
Original post by Zottula
It's excellent. Very friendly department, lots of support available and good facilities. Lecturers are generally very good, enthusiastic about the subject and the important thing is that they actually enjoy teaching us.

That's brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending