Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayrosser2004)
    all over
    if smoking bans completely, this sucks and definitely a bad idea

-nhs has to pay **** loads to care for all the people who would have died if they carried on smoking

-retail industry suffers

-incredible amount of black market

..etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    if smoking bans completely, this sucks and definitely a bad idea

-nhs has to pay **** loads to care for all the people who would have died if they carried on smoking

-retail industry suffers

-incredible amount of black market

..etc
    saves the NHS

ReputationRep:
    saves the NHS

ReputationRep:
    saves the NHS

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt save the nhs if less people die does it

ReputationRep:
    saves the NHS
    If tobacco raises 11 billion in tax yet only costs the NHS 1.5 billion how would banning tobacco "save the NHS"?

ReputationRep:
    there are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking.

this makes me think too much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I despise lots of things but don't want them banned because its none of my business what people do. There is a very good reason to keep it legal: 17m people smoke. The world is only 20 B&H away from anarchy...
    I'm quite sure it's the business of the passive smoker who doesn't want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Cigarettes will never be banned as they raise sh*tloads of revenue. But I think there should be more restrictions on smoking in public places. Whether passive smoking is damaging or not it's still not very nice for a non-smoker to have to breathe smokey air, get smokey clothes/hair, look at dirty ashtrays...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdooooo!!!)
    there are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking.

this makes me think too much...
    Or you could just do the research and come up with some objective facts instead.

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about 'the passive smoker' who occassionally gets a whiff, or the passive smoker who sits there day after day next to a smoker?
    Any of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Or you could just do the research and come up with some objective facts instead.
    Such as "smoking kills"

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's wait and see what happens in Ireland where a comprehensive ban on smoking in "inside" public places (including pubs, clubs and restaurants) is coming into effect. I for one dislike coming home with my clothes stinking of cigarettes if I go to the pub and don't particularly like breathing in other people's smoke. Some may argue that driving is just as bad and selfish, but at least it has a point to it.

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about 'the passive smoker' who occassionally gets a whiff, or the passive smoker who sits there day after day next to a smoker?
    Those little wasp breaths that induce annoying fake couging fits. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Such as "smoking kills"
    I know that. I don't live in a cave. I was referring to researching the massive surplus revenue provided by the tax taken on tobacco products.

ReputationRep:
    As long as there are public places that cater for the non-smoker, the smoker, and the i-don't-care-if-i-passive-smoker, there is no reason for it to be banned at all. The health risks are not an excuse because there are plenty of dangerous things people do that are perfectly legal; drinking is the most obvious example.

Some people actually like smokey places and passive smoking.

ReputationRep:
    one of my teacher's sits there smoking at lunchtimes but while she's still with students, I came home once and stank of cigarettes (sp), nearly got me in big trouble

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Smoking should be banned, at least indoors. I'm sorry, but a smoker's "right" to smoke appears to override my right to fresh air and that seems unjust to me. Let them go outside and smoke. My mother's got acute asthma and I've lost count of the number of times we had to leave places because of the damned smokers - who always seemed to come right over and light up next to us - causing my mother breathing difficulties. As for you, Howard - go to the non-smoking places? Well, fine, but why is the balance skewed towards the smokers? There are very few non-smoking pubs, for example. I like pubs. I don't like the smoke. Show me a non-smoking pub near me and I'll willingly go there. I believe I'm right in thinking that you live in Florida? There are far more non-smoking places to eat in the States than there are here, in case you'd forgotten that. (And don't please mention non-smoking areas - what a joke! The smoke stops when it realises it's reached the bounds of the smoking area, does it?)

But I don't see why it's so difficult for a smoker to pop outside for a fag. Incidentally, your comment about kids in restaurants was a joke, right?

Rant over

smokers should be shot, if they wanna kill themselves they may as well do it the quick way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-man)
    smokers should be shot, if they wanna kill themselves they may as well do it the quick way
    Thats a bit harsh.....your going to die, should you be shot dead, the 'quick way'?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.