This discussion is closed.
Powerline
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am against smoking, but to the question,should smoking be banned, im not sure.

I would prefer it if smokers didnt smoke so freely and everywhere, where non-smokers are around. i think that if people are going to smoke, they should do it privately.

(N.B-the quote in my signature has nothing to do with my views, i just thought it was kind of funny)
s-man
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
Thats a bit harsh.....your going to die, should you be shot dead, the 'quick way'?
smokers are willingly risking their health and if they dont know that smoking damages their health they shouldn't be living in the first place, no matter how you justify it, at the end of the day if people wanna smoke thats up to them, but doing it in public around people who choose not to is wrong
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-man)
smokers are willingly risking their health and if they dont know that smoking damages their health they shouldn't be living in the first place, no matter how you justify it, at the end of the day if people wanna smoke thats up to them, but doing it in public around people who choose not to is wrong
I agree with that, but there are other solutions then just 'shooting' them. like i suggested, maybe there should be some kind of a law forcing smokers to smoke in private, away from non-smokers.
s-man
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I agree with that, but there are other solutions then just 'shooting' them. like i suggested, maybe there should be some kind of a law forcing smokers to smoke in private, away from non-smokers.
i was being a prick about the shooting thing but still..... having some random ******** blow smoke in your face at a bus stop does become extremely annoying
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-man)
i was being a prick about the shooting thing but still..... having some random ******** blow smoke in your face at a bus stop does become extremely annoying
Yeah.... i agree. there really must be something done about it......
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Yes! Smoking should be banned, at least indoors. I'm sorry, but a smoker's "right" to smoke appears to override my right to fresh air and that seems unjust to me. Let them go outside and smoke. My mother's got acute asthma and I've lost count of the number of times we had to leave places because of the damned smokers - who always seemed to come right over and light up next to us - causing my mother breathing difficulties. As for you, Howard - go to the non-smoking places? Well, fine, but why is the balance skewed towards the smokers? There are very few non-smoking pubs, for example. I like pubs. I don't like the smoke. Show me a non-smoking pub near me and I'll willingly go there. I believe I'm right in thinking that you live in Florida? There are far more non-smoking places to eat in the States than there are here, in case you'd forgotten that. (And don't please mention non-smoking areas - what a joke! The smoke stops when it realises it's reached the bounds of the smoking area, does it?)

But I don't see why it's so difficult for a smoker to pop outside for a fag. Incidentally, your comment about kids in restaurants was a joke, right?

Rant over
There are very few non smoking pubs for a very good reason. Smoking and alcohol consumption make good bed fellows. Smokers drink more than non smokers as a breed and pubs that ban smokers see a fall off in trade. If that were not the case then non-smoking pubs would be mushrooming all over the country....which they're not.

The thing about rights is that by giving one person a right you invariably take away somebody else's right. Now when we are talking about smoking, if we were talking about a very small % of people, this might seem fair. But when we are talking about the right of 17million people to enjoy a cigarette in a pub it doesn't seem fair to say "well, tough ****, they will just have to stand outside"

Smoking is banned on public transport. In offices. In public buildings. Just about everywhere. I don't see why it should be banned in bars as well.

I think one possible solution would be to have bars with a pro-smoking policy. "We welcome smokers" signs could be put up at the entrance so everybody knows what they're walking into and those who really can't stand it could go elsewhere.

Other pubs could have an active non-smoking policy "Definately no smoking permitted" so that those that want a fag with their pint can avoid those type of places.

As I say, the only problem is that the non-smoking pubs would probably go bancrupt very quickly.
s-man
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah.... i agree. there really must be something done about it......
you agree with me being a prick, the rest of what i sed or all of it?
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-man)
you agree with me being a prick, the rest of what i sed or all of it?
no....the rest of what you said.....lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads