Assasinations Watch

This discussion is closed.
Thunder
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Was the assasination of yassin bad because it was intrisincally bad to kill him ( no links to terror, cripple, unarmed) or becuase the consequences of his assasination outweigh the security gains , if any?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Thunder)
Was the assasination of yassin bad because it was intrisincally bad to kill him ( no links to terror, cripple, unarmed) or becuase the consequences of his assasination outweigh the security gains , if any?
What do you mean "no links to terror"? The guy founded Hammas didn't he? :rolleyes:
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Thunder)
the assasination of Yassin was bad for Hamas and the Palestinian terrorists, no one else.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
the assasination of Yassin was bad for Hamas and the Palestinian terrorists, no one else.
surely its also bad for the israeli citizeans who will be killed in the retalitatory attacks
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
surely its also bad for the israeli citizeans who will be killed in the retalitatory attacks
I'm certain there will be retaliatory attacks but terrorists cannot be ignored or appeased in the hope that if left alone, they'll go away.

Retaliatory attacks are par for the cause. Israel will just have to retaliate harder still!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and they were never going to be attacked again? Hamas attacks Israel as much as it can..this IS full output..
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I'm certain there will be retaliatory attacks but terrorists cannot be ignored or appeased in the hope that if left alone, they'll go away.

Retaliatory attacks are par for the cause. Israel will just have to retaliate harder still!
So long as they target the terrorist and not the Palestine.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
with a military as efficient as the IDF, that can be taken as a proven assumption.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
are people of the agreement then the assination was an escalatory step in the confict since it hightens the desire for revenge in palestine. this will thus led to more attacks by israel, and thus this attack wasnt only bad as vienna puts it:

it was bad for the whole peace process
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
I'm sure they'll try to. Look at Yassin. A direct hit. Knocked him clean out of his wheelchair.

However, it is inevitible that if country A harbors/is home to a particular terrorist then country B will have to strike that terrorist in his own country and civilian deaths are bound to result. Sad but inevitible fact of life I'm afraid.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vienna95)
with a military as efficient as the IDF, that can be taken as a proven assumption.
hhmmm not so sure about this one personally, the fact that 5 students have been put in prison for not doing their year of service saying that they disagree with the policies and were prepared to do something different as a service ie not military shows how unethical israeli can be at times
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
are people of the agreement then the assination was an escalatory step in the confict since it hightens the desire for revenge in palestine. this will thus led to more attacks by israel, and thus this attack wasnt only bad as vienna puts it:

it was bad for the whole peace process
hehe, what peace process!!! the PA circus? the peace process is in tatters...

israel is getting ready to unilaterally withdraw. when it leaves there will be a vacuum into which it wants a mixed up coalition of hatred to squabble, as opposed to an organised mass that has a spectrum of spiritual and operational leaders..Israel doesnt care about the peace process, its dead. it wants to weaken Hamas as much as possible before it retreats..the assassination was legal, just and correct.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hhmmm not so sure about this one personally, the fact that 5 students have been put in prison for not doing their year of service saying that they disagree with the policies and were prepared to do something different as a service ie not military shows how unethical israeli can be at times
its called not doing military service. if i defect from the army i go to prison. and what has this got to do with military targets.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
its called not doing military service. if i defect from the army i go to prison. and what has this got to do with military targets.
to defect from the army u must of joined it surely? everyone in israeli is consripted for a year = military service

its has nothing directly to do with the military targets but is an example of the IDF and the policy that governs it being contary to your suggestion, inefficient. These students dont mind giving up a year of their life for the state but they dont want to do something they see as immoral (i wonder why israelis would think that now). This shows the IDF is far from perfect.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hehe, what peace process!!! the PA circus? the peace process is in tatters...

israel is getting ready to unilaterally withdraw. when it leaves there will be a vacuum into which it wants a mixed up coalition of hatred to squabble, as opposed to an organised mass that has a spectrum of spiritual and operational leaders..Israel doesnt care about the peace process, its dead. it wants to weaken Hamas as much as possible before it retreats..the assassination was legal, just and correct.
agreed the israelis dont care about the peace process, but they should since alot more israelis are going to proberbly end up dying in the long run. peace after all if achieved would stop the attacks, more violence just prolongs them.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
to detect from the army u must of joined it surely? everyone in israeli is consripted for a year = military service
i was referring to the British army, which if i joined then i would be sent to prison for defection. comparable principles apply for national service.

its has nothing directly to do with the military targets but is an example of the IDF and the policy that governs it being contary to your suggestion, inefficient. These students dont mind giving up a year of their life for the state but they dont want to do something they see as immoral (i wonder why israelis would think that now). This shows the IDF is far from perfect.
the IDF has one of the highest application rates in the military world. in short, israel men and women are queing up to serve in the IDF.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
agreed the israelis dont care about the peace process, but they should since alot more israelis are going to proberbly end up dying in the long run. peace after all if achieved would stop the attacks, more violence just prolongs them.
I think the Israelis are showing remarkable restraint. They could scorch the earth of Palestine any day they want. But they don't.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no no no..the israelis tried the peace process...it didnt work, the attacks keep coming, Hamas is unrelenting. the peace process was a stall by the PA and now Israel has correctly decided to protect itself the best way possible. israel is assassinating leaders of a terrorist group that cannot be replaced, this will only reduce the israeli death count if anything..how can more israelis die through Sharons current policies?
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I think the Israelis are showing remarkable restraint. They could scorch the earth of Palestine any day they want. But they don't.
yes given the fact that their parliament quite right wing and has proposed more radical policies they are showing restriant for israelis. A scorched earth policy is tho far from political reality since it would alienate those who support israel in the US. however given the occupation and the new wall i personally think that they could show alot more restraint. however that is that is my personal opinion and u are welcome and im sure you will disagree on that
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i was referring to the British army, which if i joined then i would be sent to prison for defection. comparable principles apply for national service.
i dont think so personally as one is voluntary and the other is enforced they are two totally different things. if you didnt agree with the british army policy you wouldnt join the army would you to start with surely? or join doing something else? these students dont have that option and since israeli is a democarcy then there surely should that choice
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1410)
79.66%
Leave (360)
20.34%

Watched Threads