This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Hamas will now have more support
from who? the former israel-loving muslims/arabs/palestinians?

of course Hamas is trying to do everything it can to kill israelis at the moment, but with this assination their cause will become more popular with the palestinian people and foreign backers meaning Hamas will have increased resources and a stronger message.
more popular with the palestinians? the point is, there is very little margin left..they cant support much more...to have more support, implies that some palestinians actually sympathised with Israel.

foreign backers? like? the EU already pumps millions into Hamas as it is..
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vienna95)
more popular with the palestinians? the point is, there is very little margin left..they cant support much more...to have more support, implies that some palestinians actually sympathised with Israel.

foreign backers? like? the EU already pumps millions into Hamas as it is..
from the newspaper reports i have read, alot of palestians do not support the use of sucide bombers by Hamas, and i would expect the effects of the attack to make these people more sympathic towards hamas's cause. and as for the support i was talking about the support Hamas recieves from arabs in countries like saudi arabia.

you view if i am correct is that support for hamas is at a maximum and that thus the israelis should attacks. i disagree with this since i dont think for one moment that the entire population of palestine support hamas's use of sucide bombers, they may well think the views promoted by hamas are correct by i dont think they necessary support the means. however with the assination the use of sucide bomber might now seem more justified to more people in palestine which is a very dangerous thing
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
from the newspaper reports i have read, alot of palestians do not support the use of sucide bombers by Hamas,
and i would expect the effects of the attack to make these people more sympathic towards hamas's cause. and as for the support i was talking about the support Hamas recieves from arabs in countries like saudi arabia.

you view if i am correct is that support for hamas is at a maximum and that thus the israelis should attacks. i disagree with this since i dont think for one moment that the entire population of palestine support hamas's use of sucide bombers, they may well think the views promoted by hamas are correct by i dont think they necessary support the means. however with the assination the use of sucide bomber might now seem more justified to more people in palestine which is a very dangerous thing
i) the difference in numbers between those that now support suicide bombings and those that didnt is negligible to effect Israeli policy

ii) support for Hamas is already saturated beyond their means..it makes little difference to the practical or political actions of the group.

if a significant proportion of our liberal left support palestinian suicide bombing, its not hard to conceive that a healthy majority of palestinians, with the ultimate destruction of Israel and Jews as their dream, should have a hard time condoning Hamas.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it cannot be that isreali tactics are effective in reducing hatred/terrorism. strong arm tactics are effective in the short term but the ex-hamas leader is a matryr now, which is a dangerous thing.

the wall as well. it effectively sends out the message that israel doesnt want anything to do with palestine. that isnt good for peace whatsoever. IMHO isolationism will not work in this situation.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
it cannot be that isreali tactics are effective in reducing hatred/terrorism. strong arm tactics are effective in the short term but the ex-hamas leader is a matryr now, which is a dangerous thing.

the wall as well. it effectively sends out the message that israel doesnt want anything to do with palestine. that isnt good for peace whatsoever. IMHO isolationism will not work in this situation.
but ppl talk about peace as though its a pre-planned solution and that Sharon can just afford to see a few thousand more die or mutilated by Hamas before its acheived. legal border fences and assassinations of terrorist leaders, and a unilateral withdrawal are the only realistic and certainly the best options that Ariel Sharon could make. until anyone can say that peace can be acheived by any method that wont cost the lives of hundreds of innocent civilians, then he has no choice.

a martyr maybe, but among a popn that wanted and has always wanted to see the Israeli nation exterminated...the difference is Europe and the intellectual left just feel that little bit more sorry.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
Why should Israel want anything to do with Palestine?
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Why should Israel want anything to do with Palestine?
you need some level of coperation with nearby states/terrorities. you know that.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
you need some level of coperation with nearby states/terrorities. you know that.
Well, I'm just trying to imagine being an Israeli myself.

I might well be inclined to say "build the wall, place armed turrets every 100yards, and mine a 250yard border approach to it.......in short seal us off from Palestine and machine gun anyone who approaches from that side......and to hell with "cooperation"

It's not difficult to imagine a lot of Israelis thinking along similar lines.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
And some of the reasons most israelis do not beleive to strongly in the cooperation with their neighbours is given bellow:

1948, 1967, 1973, 1987, 2000
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (24)
17.39%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (22)
15.94%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (29)
21.01%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (55)
39.86%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (2)
1.45%
No particular grades needed (6)
4.35%