This discussion is closed.
miss pears
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
can anyone help me, i am currently studying A level History for which iam predicted an B, and i have AS Politics - A and AS law B, i am considering going to Hertordshire uni to study law but iam not sure whether or not to wait another year finish my Alevels and apply to a more reputable uni, i or to go to hertfordshire with what i have, i will be 21 in july, so the clock is ticking, what should i do ?????
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by miss pears)
can anyone help me, i am currently studying A level History for which iam predicted an B, and i have AS Politics - A and AS law B, i am considering going to Hertordshire uni to study law but iam not sure whether or not to wait another year finish my Alevels and apply to a more reputable uni, i or to go to hertfordshire with what i have, i will be 21 in july, so the clock is ticking, what should i do ?????
It doesnt matter that you are 21. ALot if not all unis reserve places for mature students ie over 21, i know nottingham has 8. It may help you, and you have good grades so perhaps wait. Tho i dont know anything about hertfordshire uni
mooter
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wait another year and apply to a better uni, you'll have more chances of gettin a job if you graduate from a better uni aspecially with law,
good luck
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wait another year, the job opportunities available from studying law at a reputable uni outweigh the long wait to start!
miss pears
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
thanks guys, i agree, i'll wait another year its just tough being in classes full of 16-18's and the college advisers keep telling me to go this year coming and my friends and family keep saying that i'm getting older so i should go now but what do they know!, sod them i'm going to wait for my dream uni
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Wait another year, the job opportunities available from studying law at a reputable uni outweigh the long wait to start!
Yeah, goin to a not so good uni to do law is a bit of a waste, you need good grades to get in but dont have the employability that you deserved from ur A levels
ritual
Report 16 years ago
actually i dont recommend you doing law from hertfordshire...law is so competitive that only people from top 20 universities are being employed and the rest change career lines....so there is very little point,trust me
Laahb
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ritual)
actually i dont recommend you doing law from hertfordshire...law is so competitive that only people from top 20 universities are being employed and the rest change career lines....so there is very little point,trust me
Namely?

Those that want AAB at A-level?
ritual
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Laahb)
Namely?

Those that want AAB at A-level?

yeah......after oxbridge, london colleges and then unis like manchester, nottingham (big city ones ) and small cities' ones are like warwick, sheffield etc. these are top of the league so try your luck on them.....trust me you only have a chance of success if you go in these......and do a third year at college if necessary to achieve AAB
TheMutantGerbil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah......after oxbridge, london colleges and then unis like manchester, nottingham (big city ones ) and small cities' ones are like warwick, sheffield etc. these are top of the league so try your luck on them.....trust me you only have a chance of success if you go in these......and do a third year at college if necessary to achieve AAB
sheffield a small city??
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh I think it'd be great if you could go to your dream uni Any ideas on which ones you'd like? I think if you try up your grades to AAB/AAA, you can get into most of the good unis, and don't worry about being slightly older, you'd defitely provide a new perspective to your department.

Take care! xoxo
Laahb
Report 16 years ago
Didn't a member here do that?
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm a first year law student studying at London Metropolitan uni. Don't worry about being older, seriously there are many mature students in my lectures and tutorials!

A friend of mine wants to transfer to a uni with a better reputation, but apparently London Met (Formally Guildhall, before it merged with North London [Much better as Guildhall in my opinion!]) already has quite a good reputation with Law firms. Can anyone confirm this?
ritual
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
sheffield a small city??

yeah (duh) its smaller than london, manchester, birmingham, etc etc it is one the smallest cities, the town area has been built for students literally,you can assume its size thinking that it has no major cricket ground and a very small percentage of ethnic minority Britons.
ritual
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by red665)
I'm a first year law student studying at London Metropolitan uni. Don't worry about being older, seriously there are many mature students in my lectures and tutorials!

A friend of mine wants to transfer to a uni with a better reputation, but apparently London Met (Formally Guildhall, before it merged with North London [Much better as Guildhall in my opinion!]) already has quite a good reputation with Law firms. Can anyone confirm this?

i beg your pardon, but London Guildhall or Met does not have a good reputation at all
the problem with law is that jobs are very rare and competition is crazy.only application from the top 20 institutions or such are being considered by reputable firms and chambers. therefore, i would advise to anyone that if you dont achieve AAB or AAA at A-level, forget about doing law or do something else in which there is higher demand, like plumbing or engineering, medicine or accounts. sorry.
if you have graduated from a crap uni and found a job than seriously, the only thing which has helped you is LUCK.
i have a friend who graduted from oxford. it took him six months to find a job.
i hope this will answer your query.
TheMutantGerbil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah (duh) its smaller than london, manchester, birmingham, etc etc it is one the smallest cities, the town area has been built for students literally,you can assume its size thinking that it has no major cricket ground and a very small percentage of ethnic minority Britons.
It's the 5th/6th biggest city in the UK with a population of over half a million...
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i beg your pardon, but London Guildhall or Met does not have a good reputation at all
the problem with law is that jobs are very rare and competition is crazy.only application from the top 20 institutions or such are being considered by reputable firms and chambers. therefore, i would advise to anyone that if you dont achieve AAB or AAA at A-level, forget about doing law or do something else in which there is higher demand, like plumbing or engineering, medicine or accounts. sorry.
if you have graduated from a crap uni and found a job than seriously, the only thing which has helped you is LUCK.
i have a friend who graduted from oxford. it took him six months to find a job.
i hope this will answer your query.
You sound rather bitter about something! Been through this all yourself have you?! And thank you, yes you have answered my query.
ritual
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by red665)
You sound rather bitter about something! Been through this all yourself have you?! And thank you, yes you have answered my query.

well, i admit this whole job/situation about law has made me bitter and very frustrated! but altogether i'm not such a bitter person....:-)
Sade
Report 15 years ago
Hey Red665- I knew someone who studied law at South bank Uni(not the best of unis) and he immediately got a job in a city law firm! It all depends on the individual at the end of the day!
magiccarpet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i am forecast 5As in math physics chemistry english and art, and im going to apu to study law. is anyone else doing this? and is it really true about the uni's reputations being really important? i thoght if u get a 1st, nobody will care and you'd be employed in the local area?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (293)
34.15%
No (565)
65.85%

Watched Threads