This discussion is closed.
Thunder
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I go to Selligen College and ive just started up debating at my school. Does anyone do debating seriously on this list. How long have u been doing it for and what competitions do you enter
abdooooo!!!
Report 16 years ago
any issue worth debating is worth avoiding altogether.
Rashmi
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Thunder)
I go to Selligen College and ive just started up debating at my school. Does anyone do debating seriously on this list. How long have u been doing it for and what competitions do you enter
i used to do it at school & we used to do Interleague debating but as i live in South Africa i doubt i'll be much help anyway.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What do you want to know exactly?

I've been debating now for 1yr.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My friends and I debate en masse.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
My friends and I debate en masse.
What style?
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I used to do inter-school debating but gave up when I realised that to a large extent it's just a popularity contest.
I also don't like the restrictions (e.g. you have to stop talking after 3 minutes, even if you're mid-sentence).
But these were some of the motions I did:
"This house believes that GM crops should be illegal" (opposed)
"T.H.B.T. poetry is the only form of writing that can truly express emotion" (opposed)
"T.H.B.T. a benevolent dictatorship is preferable to democracy" (proposed)
"This house would ban vivisection" (opposed)
"T.H.B.T. religion should be abolished" (opposed)
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
What style?
All sorts, we're not fussy
s-man
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
some guy at our skool does maths debates, he maths debates in class all the time, hes a propa freak i even think he entered a maths debating competition and won
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-man)
some guy at our skool does maths debates, he maths debates in class all the time, hes a propa freak i even think he entered a maths debating competition and won
Sigh. How unsubtle :rolleyes:
s-man
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Sigh. How unsubtle :rolleyes:
wot? hes a maths debator its not my fault
Thunder
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Zapsta, wat comps did u enter this year
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Helped with a couple my school was in.olved with I think one of them was called the MACE debating competition and another was to do with the Ministry (? might be something else) of Ideas. I also ran my school debating society until I went on study leave.
roxy potter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I live in Ireland and did what are called the Concern debates run by the ngo concern motions include;

Overseas aid is bypassing th epoor in the developing world,

GM food is unnecessary in the fight against world hunger,

The west is committed to defeating aids globally,

the motions were quite difficult because if you didnt have the politically correct side of the motion then it was harder to win.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I did a few debates in year 10. One time I proposed the motion that "computer and video games are having a negative impact on young people" (or something along those lines).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.1%
No (603)
65.9%

Watched Threads