Plagiarism & Cheating Watch

This discussion is closed.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Have you, or do you know anyone who's plagiarised/cheated with coursework/essays? (Just some research for an article...)
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
...and if you want to be quoted in a national newspaper on the topic, you can remain anonymous if you want, PM me your email addy / mobile.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yes. i have blenently copied my coursework for this year...

and my gcse physics coursework was written by my physics teacher...all i did was sign the form saying it was my work.

love Katy ***
starry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Obviously
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know someone who nicked their results for their practical in their biology dissertation out of a text book.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I had a Frenchman do my GCSE French coursework, if that counts

Ironically I only got an A, whereas I got A* in my German which I did myself.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
my friend's dad did her maths coursework for her, and the teacher knew but when it came to signing the form she was like did I write in the other help received bit, and my maths teacher just grinned insanely and just told her to sign it...
zazy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A few of my mates repeated their biology coursework plan of the web and as we ha d an extremely strict teacher she gave them all a nice 0.
robo
Report 15 years ago
yep on coursework downloaded it from internet anominous
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Have you, or do you know anyone who's plagiarised/cheated with coursework/essays? (Just some research for an article...)
It would probably be easier if you asked if we do not know of anyone that has plagiarised
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes

There was somebody on my course who cheated on his ASP assignment, he did a fully blown online shop with a full stock management and control . He was only average at best and my course tutor saw right through it. He was made to explain every line of code (there were 1000's!) he got stuck after about the 5th line and was chucked out of the university as a result.

Universities are so strict on plagiarism its virtualy impossible to cheat and get away with it.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yes

There was somebody on my course who cheated on his ASP assignment, he did a fully blown online shop with a full stock management and control . He was only average at best and my course tutor saw right through it. He was made to explain every line of code (there were 1000's!) he got stuck after about the 5th line and was chucked out of the university as a result.

Universities are so strict on plagiarism its virtualy impossible to cheat and get away with it.
indeed, short of sleeping with the vice chancelor's daughter, at exeter there isn't much worse!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
indeed, short of sleeping with the vice chancelor's daughter, at exeter there isn't much worse!
Some tutors are getting quite sneaky and choosing random lines from essays and typing them into google to look for matches.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Some tutors are getting quite sneaky and choosing random lines from essays and typing them into google to look for matches.
Hence the disclaimer on my Essays site:

DISCLAIMER - Essays are intended for guideline use, not for coursework cheating. Short quotes from these essays may be usable in your own work provided you quote the source, e.g. © Adam Craig. However direct plagiarism is illegal and can result in disqualification from the series of exams - you can be easily caught if your tutor simply types in a text string into Google.

Yet Private Eye dismissed that as a standard disclaimer & implied I was promoting plagiarism.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Erm I am not sure, I think as longs as your stuff is on the web and not password protected then you're not promoting plagarism as the tutors marking your work will easily be able to trace the work.

If I get any info from the internet I always quote my source without fail.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Plagiarism, well duuh! I don't think I've ever done it myself (and I mean that) but I've seen plenty of it about. My mate's entire background knowledge for his economics coursework is a copy-and-paste job. He also cheated on the Senior Maths Challenge (saw a few answers) and got gold. Cad. Still, karma prevails, unfortunately for him, as he has scored 4/6 rejections and no offer from universities. Sad really, but heehee in a way too.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Nope, i'm too lazy to pass other peoples work off as my own.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Hence the disclaimer on my Essays site:

DISCLAIMER - Essays are intended for guideline use, not for coursework cheating. Short quotes from these essays may be usable in your own work provided you quote the source, e.g. © Adam Craig. However direct plagiarism is illegal and can result in disqualification from the series of exams - you can be easily caught if your tutor simply types in a text string into Google.

Yet Private Eye dismissed that as a standard disclaimer & implied I was promoting plagiarism.
Providing top quality essays online is in a bit of a grey area, so not surprising someone pounced on the fact you were doing it and used it against you, even though it was meant with good intention.
There are good arguments on either side, however I used to know a few people who got around the 'google + tutor' problem by rearranging sentences and use of the "Shift+F7" key in MS Word.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Yes, a girl in my class who got 10 A*'s at GCSE copied my English Coursework.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
Just being nosy (and trying to find out if the Exeter VC had a daughter) and found out that Professor Steven M Smith, BSc MSc PhD is a Southampton graduate :cool:
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.52%
Excited (156)
9.13%
Worried (306)
17.91%
Terrified (380)
22.24%
Meh (168)
9.83%
Confused (37)
2.17%