This discussion is closed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
i dont think there is a problem with cheating, if you get away with it, its the fault of the system, not the problem for the cheater
but the person who suffers is the cheat (in the end)....especially at university level it just isn't possible to get away with BS - especially in exams.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
but the person who suffers is the cheat (in the end)....especially at university level it just isn't possible to get away with BS - especially in exams.
but cheating getting your coursework to a higher mark than before- will surely benefit the person?
Powerline
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
but cheating getting your coursework to a higher mark than before- will surely benefit the person?
but when it comes to putting those skills into practice-what would that person do then???
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do you think you can get away with it?

coursework topics are often repeated in exams (my evaporites essay certainly was - luckily all that rewording and rephrasing actually meant that I had to understand the topic in great detail and retained the knowledge for the exam)....if you're literally copy and pasting chunks of text/essays and passing it off as your own work then you're going to end up failing the exam.

Plus once you start moving on to second and third year modules/courses if you don't understand the basics you're going to struggle. And of course if you try and cheat in the exams/courseworks that will influence your final mark you increase the chances of getting caught tremendously.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The final year projects and diseration are so big and advanced that there is no way you can cheat in that. If you cheated in the first and second year modules come the final disertation you will be screwed.

I think cheaters are fruads because they are robbing marks of harding working people that do the work properly.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
but when it comes to putting those skills into practice-what would that person do then???
Exactly, this escpecialy applies to the sciences. Even programming for example you can cheat but it will soon become apparant you know nothing.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
do you think you can get away with it?
At GCSE Level, yes.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
That statement ranks alongside 'its not the winning its the taking part' in my book, i.e. nonsense. Cheating is a form of fraud more than anything; pretending you know more than you do. But you know personally what you know and what you don't know, so you're not 'cheating yourself'.
I meant cheating yourself as in the sense of usually putting off learning stuff that you need to know for exams etc anyway. It may be effective in the short term, but long-term it means doing more work and there's the chance you could get caught and fail all together.
Not to mention, I would personally not be happy if I got a distinction knowing that I cheated to obtain the high mark. It would just not be the same, and I would feel guilty.
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
I meant cheating yourself as in the sense of usually putting off learning stuff that you need to know for exams etc anyway. It may be effective in the short term, but long-term it means doing more work and there's the chance you could get caught and fail all together.
Not to mention, I would personally not be happy if I got a distinction knowing that I cheated to obtain the high mark. It would just not be the same, and I would feel guilty.
Its not the fact that i feel guilty that puts me off....its the fear of getting caught and failing alll of my subjects, not only the one i was cheating on, but all the others as well!
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
But usually coursework is a completely seperate thing.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Today read through a piece of coursework that my teach gave to me as an "example" for us to follow. Apparently the student who did it got a very high A.. and I've just been searching through the net.. found a copy of the same coursework with a few words changed in every other sentence, and then I see this thread! lol.. ironic or what!?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It depends what it is, most of my assignments involved very specific reports to go with the practical bit. Then you have to demonstrate what you have done and you will get ask questions like did you use sesison variables for this, did you use a for loop for this etc? If you had copied its very unlikely you would be able to answer the questions and this where most people get cuaght. In fact all my assignments require you do demonstrate the end deliverable.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
indeed, short of sleeping with the vice chancelor's daughter, at exeter there isn't much worse!

...and you know her personally??

but theres a bonus in my course....everyone is supoes to have identical answers....so its only on the mistakes can they tell if your cheeting...and they were very generous in giving me and my best mate different coursework markers....

and yes, i will have to do my own work once i get to the exams...but at only needing 40% to pass a nice nearly full 25% is a big bonus....20% in a final exam is much nicer a target than 53%.

love Katy ***
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i just can't see how though, I was chatting to my course tutor about this and he said exam results are a very give away, if you always do good in course work and bad in exams that can raise the suspisian(wtf is wrong with my spelling!)

Especialy with specific course work, somthing like a c++ calculator I can see how you can cheat as there would be load of examples of the net, however somthing like produce an auction site like ebay is much harder to cheat because of the amount of different technologies involved.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm amazing at cheating - cheated all my life through school/college - never ever been caught, used cheat notes in my mocks this week for A2 - wrote them on the page underneath the one i was going to use for the answer in my file-pad,

and teachers are not suspicious of me coz i do well in public exams anyway
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Computing coursework is still a cinch to cheat/plagiarise as long as you're not a complete dimwit. Obviously if you have no knowledge of the subject at all you'll be found out. Its the reasonably clever people who are too lazy to do the work themselves that get away with it.
Yes, that is me. My computing coursework was a joke. I just copied this 58/60 mark one from a previous year but under a different company which was similar. We started our cwk in November time I think and I still hadnt completed the database by Feb. It was so poorly constructed I decided to do it again. I thus did the whole database in about 6 hours over a weekend. That kind of shows the amount of work I did in lessons

On the exam cheating issue. I cheated on all my mocks by having the papers before the exam. But obviously didnt on the actual tests. I was way to lazy to learn a whole module in the middle of the year
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
i'm amazing at cheating - cheated all my life through school/college - never ever been caught, used cheat notes in my mocks this week for A2 - wrote them on the page underneath the one i was going to use for the answer in my file-pad,

and teachers are not suspicious of me coz i do well in public exams anyway
exactly, it is not hard to get away with cheating if you are good atit
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think thats why at least at degree level computing assignments are very open. I.e they only tell you what do get a pass at 40% the rest you invent. If two people end up doign exactly the same facilities then its likely they have copied.

The real way you will get found out though is when you get a job. If I cheated I would not be able to do what I can now in ASP/PHP. Programming is practise, with practise you develop better logic skills etc. Cheaters will have none of this.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It depends on your definition of cheating. In a job unless you're a true programming guru you may not know instantly how to do a given piece of code; you can just rip off code from the web and nobody will notice unless you leave it as is and the comments or rubbish or its in a weird style. Is this cheating?

I'm a fairly snazzy Java programmer, but I don't know how to do everything. If I'm doing something new I'll look it up on the forums where people usually post code samples. I take their ideas and adapt them to my program. Is this cheating?
No I kind of do that, I sometimes take bits of code and adapt them to my own programs, but I never use an entire program I have got of the web as a base. At the most its usualy a couple of lines.

The database connection strings are a fine example, I would not have not be able to write one from scratch here I just copy them out of a book and adapt them for my own usage. This is pefectly fine and the tutors expect you do that.

What is cheating is if I downloaded an engine for an auction site and based my auction site on that, that would be plagirsim without a doubt.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i once wrote a piece of geography coursework from my friend who paid me £500, good deal really, i got a holiday and he got an A.... symbiotic relationship....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads