The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Academic Warrior
Anyone else tired of hearing people moaning about how greedy and overpaid footballers are? When in most case this couldn't be further from the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Footballers are definitely overpaid
Original post by ApplyYourself

How so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
They blatantly are overpaid.
Reply 4
The law of supply and demand. They are not overpaid as there are very few people able to supply themselves and demand is high because its fun to watch the footie.

This is moral because it is based on voluntary exchange.

There is only an arguement for under not overpay unless you are the oe paying the wage
If someone else is paying too high of a way they bare the cost of doing so.

Someone's worth to society is very hard to quantify, boardrooms would have huge incentives to downplay their employees worth to society to lower their variable costs

Our markets need to be pragmatic not idealistic.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
They are overpaid for their importance to society but if 50 000 people are willing to pay for tickets to see them and millions of people buy tshirts with their names then they've earned it
Reply 6
They get paid for kicking a ball about. Uh uh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
OP: Do have an argument to support that statement?
Original post by Stylo92
They blatantly are overpaid.

How? For example, Wayne Rooney is an international superstars and his wages reflect the fact that shirts with his name on the back generate 10's of millions of pounds for Manchester United, his name alone sells 100's of products everyday.

Also, he is one of the best footballers in the world and like any profession, those at the top are rewarded. This is just simple economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Their money is justified from their advert revenue, but I still think it's too much.
Reply 10
Original post by Iso
Your a bigot and you obviously are ignorant of the beautiful game.

What I can kick a ball about. So what doesn't mean I deserve to be paid. Its my opinion. Anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Iso
The law of supply and demand. They are not overpaid as there are very few people able to supply themselves and demand is high because its fun to watch the footie.

Ticket prices don't need to be so high though. They could half the price at big clubs, give half the proceeds to charity and the premier league footballers would still be on huge amounts of money, even without their sponsorship deals.
Original post by ST_STACKING
They are overpaid for their importance to society but if 50 000 people are willing to pay for tickets to see them and millions of people buy tshirts with their names then they've earned it

But people aren't paid based on their 'importance to society'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by ApplyYourself

How much by? How do you determine that they are overpaid?
Reply 14
Anyone else tired of hearing people moaning about how greedy and overpaid footballers are? When in most case this couldn't be further from the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

From a moral and societal view point they probably are overpaid. They do not save peoples' lives like Doctors, Firemen and women, etc. They do not protect the average man from tyranny from above like lawyers. They do not drive the economy like bankers (controversial, I know).

However, from an economic viewpoint. The reason they are paid so highly is because of supply and demand. There are very few with the talent to play for Manchester United or Real Madrid, therefore they can demand a higher wage. Plus there is a great demand for these players, therefore clubs must pay more for them.

Secondly, how can clubs afford to pay such high wages and transfer fees that the market forces them to? Simply because people want pay money into the industry. Through merchandise, ticket prices and TV watching.

The above economically justifies the wages of top footballers. The drop off, in terms of wages, between the PL and the Championship and the leagues below is huge
Original post by missfats
What I can kick a ball about. So what doesn't mean I deserve to be paid. Its my opinion. Anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

These people have spent 1000's of hours practising their trade and working hard to perfect their craft, they work much harder than people in other professions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How? For example, Wayne Rooney is an international superstars and his wages reflect the fact that shirts with his name on the back generate 10's of millions of pounds for Manchester United, his name alone sells 100's of products everyday.

Also, he is one of the best footballers in the world and like any profession, those at the top are rewarded. This is just simple economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by blueray
Their money is justified from their advert revenue, but I still think it's too much.

Shola Ameobi and Titus Bramble are multi-millionaires but would you buy a product they endorse or get their name on the back of your shirt? Titus Bramble sells nothing to anyone
Original post by KJ90
From a moral and societal view point they probably are overpaid. They do not save peoples' lives like Doctors, Firemen and women, etc. They do not protect the average man from tyranny from above like lawyers. They do not drive the economy like bankers (controversial, I know).

However, from an economic viewpoint. The reason they are paid so highly is because of supply and demand. There are very few with the talent to play for Manchester United or Real Madrid, therefore they can demand a higher wage. Plus there is a great demand for these players, therefore clubs must pay more for them.

Secondly, how can clubs afford to pay such high wages and transfer fees that the market forces them to? Simply because people want pay money into the industry. Through merchandise, ticket prices and TV watching.

The above economically justifies the wages of top footballers. The drop off, in terms of wages, between the PL and the Championship and the leagues below is huge

If firemen and doctors were in demand to the same extent as footballers were, they would be paid accordingly. But they're not so economics dictates that footballers are rewarded more highly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaelhaych
Shola Ameobi and Titus Bramble are multi-millionaires but would you buy a product they endorse or get their name on the back of your shirt? Titus Bramble sells nothing to anyone

Okay, but Titus Bramble potentially has a career of 15 years. So that money has to last him THE REST OF HIS LIFE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaelhaych

And also 40,000+ people pay to see Titus Bramble(albeit not exclusively) every week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest