The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Footballers are not over paid

I would agree
Original post by Academic Warrior
One horrendous example of a footballer versus how many incidents in rugby?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You and I both know that there is more than that single occasion where footballers have been violent both on and off the pitch.
Reply 82
A lot of these players have no qualifications and all they have ever known is football

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just showing that they are being overpaid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
Just showing that they are being overpaid

Posted from TSR Mobile

What?! How??? Your logic keeps defying my understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is just going round in circles now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of these players have no qualifications and all they have ever known is football

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is why they are perfectly capable of getting an unskilled job at somewhere like Nando's. Those without qualifications aren't just put to death you know; society has a use for them.
Original post by michaelhaych
Which is why they are perfectly capable of getting an unskilled job at somewhere like Nando's. Those without qualifications aren't just put to death you know; society has a use for them.

I think that's a but insulting to waiters/waitresses to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by tazarooni89
The thing is, while it's true that a single individual receives a greater service from a doctor than a footballer (saved your life, vs 90 minutes of entertainment), we also need take into account the number of people who benefit from their services. It might take a doctor two hours to save one person's life (for example). Whereas in those same two hours, a footballer provides his services (though it's a small service) to millions of people all at once. It's therefore quite conceivable that a footballer's overall value to society is much higher than that of a doctor.

To compare like-for-like - if you were an inventor who created a machine that could cure any illness immediately, and sold them all over the world so that millions of people were benefitting from your service all at once, I think you'd probably end up being richer than any footballer.

I was merely acknowledging the other side. Whether they should be paid less or not is irrelevant, the fact that they are paid highly is proof of the market working.

The saving of one life, arguably, is more significant that the enjoyment of millions. Either way, it is an opinion. The whole moral argument, which leads people to think footballers are overpaid, is entirely opinion based and is irrelevant as the only way to limit wages artificially is for the government to intervene, which would disturb market forces.

* a bit sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
This is just going round in circles now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you expect making a stupid statement without backing it up with some facts or even a reasonably thought out argument.

Footballers have no qualifications yet they get paid for running around a field and kicking a ball around.

The only dumber thing than football players are the naive fools watching them and essentially putting money in their pockets.
(edited 10 years ago)
They get paid for kicking a ball about. Uh uh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh come on it requires a great deal of skill and physical fitness - i'm not saying they deserve their salary they are ridiculously overpaid by any standard but it's hardly: 'just kicking a ball about'.
I think that's a but insulting to waiters/waitresses to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...what point are you even trying to make there?
Reply 92

Ridiculous thing to say. They can make use of their talent in football and potentially make a lot of money from it. Leave them be. Not everyone wants to be a slave to 'society'.
Original post by Red one
What did you expect making a stupid statement without backing it up with some facts or even a reasonably thought out argument.

Footballers have no qualifications yet they get paid for running around a feel and kicking a ball around.

The only dumber thing than football players are the naive fools watching them and essentially putting money in their pockets.

Okay if footballers 'run around a feel and kick a ball around' then pilots twist some knobs and pull some levers, fireman spray water at a fire and surgeons stick instruments inside somebody to make them better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Anyone else tired of hearing people moaning about how greedy and overpaid footballers are? When in most case this couldn't be further from the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are so overpaid, one of the most overpaid jobs on the planet
...what point are you even trying to make there?

That not everyone possesses the skills to be a waiter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What I can kick a ball about. So what doesn't mean I deserve to be paid. Its my opinion. Anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you know that sprinting is running really fast? Did you know that poetry is writing words down? Did you know that to get rich, all you have to do is get more money?

Simple, right?

So why don't you excel at these things? Especially just kicking a ball around? (ignoring their elite fitness and mental strength)

Everything is so simple...
Reply 97
What I can kick a ball about. So what doesn't mean I deserve to be paid. Its my opinion. Anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think what you don't get is that people are willing to pay to watch them do it. No one would pay a penny to watch you kick a ball around.
To be fair, there are a lot of footballers that do a lot for charity, if they weren't earning that kind of money, the charities wouldn't benefit as much so it's a win win, there are however some greedy footballers who are just in it for the money e.g. Ashley Cole.
Reply 99
Okay if footballers 'run around a feel and kick a ball around' then pilots twist some knobs and pull some levers, fireman spray water at a fire and surgeons stick instruments inside somebody to make them better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've conveniently missed out the part where they save lives, can't say the same about football, can you?

Latest