The Student Room Group

A level tips and advice please? :)

Hello everyone,

On results days I was delighted to receive 1 A*, 6 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs. I believe I worked really hard however, I admit I maybe should have started studying months before to secure more A* grades. I still gained a place in one of my local grammar sixth forms and I'm really looking forward to start next week.

I would really like to get into Cambridge or a Russel Group university (particularly liking York, Edinburgh and St. Andrews). I know not having many A*s puts me at a disadvantage, so I want to work even harder to score high UMS marks for my AS levels.

I would like to take an English degree and I'm studying English Literature, Classical Civilisation and Biology. I'm going to start studying from the very first week and also would like to take up volunteering and other extra-circular activities to boost my personal statement.

I would love to hear your advice in starting A levels, and also any advice into getting into any of the universities mentioned. All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Original post by YanaIguana
Hello everyone,

On results days I was delighted to receive 1 A*, 6 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs. I believe I worked really hard however, I admit I maybe should have started studying months before to secure more A* grades. I still gained a place in one of my local grammar sixth forms and I'm really looking forward to start next week.

I would really like to get into Cambridge or a Russel Group university (particularly liking York, Edinburgh and St. Andrews). I know not having many A*s puts me at a disadvantage, so I want to work even harder to score high UMS marks for my AS levels.

I would like to take an English degree and I'm studying English Literature, Classical Civilisation and Biology. I'm going to start studying from the very first week and also would like to take up volunteering and other extra-circular activities to boost my personal statement.

I would love to hear your advice in starting A levels, and also any advice into getting into any of the universities mentioned. All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Hi honey, a big congratulations on your grades. *applause* You should definitely be proud of yourself!! :biggrin:

"I'm going to start studying from the very first week" - I want to stress on this. I've done my first year of A Levels, it's absolutely astonshing that you have a plan but think of A Levels like a 5k race. It would be stupid to sprint in the first 5 minutes - you'd lose your stamina and endurance. Its just like A Levels, its a constant build up. Start by doing maybe 2 hours a day, getting familar with your schedule - once you are strictly adhering to it add some flexibility. Then as you approach your exams, you can add the intensity. The key to success is pace yourself and knowing when you add that little bit of fire at the end:smile:

It's great you know where you want to go, and what you want to do. - You would be suprised at how many people do not know what they want to study. This time last year, I didn't even know :frown: This may not be applicable to you, until later on in the year but I would suggest doing an EPQ on a english based topic - therefore you are stretching yourself as well as using your interests to showcase to the Unis you want to attend.

Again, great set of results!!
Wish you the best x

(Btw, sorry for the long reply!!) D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by melodyogbebor
Hi honey, a big congratulations on your grades. *applause* You should definitely be proud of yourself!! :biggrin:

"I'm going to start studying from the very first week" - I want to stress on this. I've done my first year of A Levels, it's absolutely astonshing that you have a plan but think of A Levels like a 5k race. It would be stupid to sprint in the first 5 minutes - you'd lose your stamina and endurance. Its just like A Levels, its a constant build up. Start by doing maybe 2 hours a day, getting familar with your schedule - once you are strictly adhering to it add some flexibility. Then as you approach your exams, you can add the intensity. The key to success is pace yourself and knowing when you add that little bit of fire at the end:smile:

It's great you know where you want to go, and what you want to do. - You would be suprised at how many people do not know what they want to study. This time last year, I didn't even know :frown: This may not be applicable to you, until later on in the year but I would suggest doing an EPQ on a english based topic - therefore you are stretching yourself as well as using your interests to showcase to the Unis you want to attend.

Again, great set of results!!
Wish you the best x

(Btw, sorry for the long reply!!) D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for all the help and advice. I think you may be right with what you're saying about too much revision at the start. This must be the best tip given, I probably would have gone full blown into studying. Thanks a lot for making me think about this! xD I'll study 2 hours a night to start of with then. I'll definitely make a timetable for home, but I just want to wait till I start Sixth Form first.

I actually wanted to base my EPQ around Shakespeare. Do we get a choice on what we want to do? I'm not too sure about this seeing as I haven't started yet. I can't wait to start Sixth Form this Tuesday!

I wish you the very best of luck with your A levels this year. :biggrin: Have you decided what you want to study at university now? It must be so exciting (and nerve wrecking) to be applying to universities soon.
Just start work early and just make sure you work hard at AS. I learnt the hard way xD. Doing well at AS makes A2 much, much less stressful
Thank you very much for all the help and advice. I think you may be right with what you're saying about too much revision at the start. This must be the best tip given, I probably would have gone full blown into studying. Thanks a lot for making me think about this! xD I'll study 2 hours a night to start of with then. I'll definitely make a timetable for home, but I just want to wait till I start Sixth Form first.

I actually wanted to base my EPQ around Shakespeare. Do we get a choice on what we want to do? I'm not too sure about this seeing as I haven't started yet. I can't wait to start Sixth Form this Tuesday!

I wish you the very best of luck with your A levels this year. :biggrin: Have you decided what you want to study at university now? It must be so exciting (and nerve wrecking) to be applying to universities soon.

It's not a problem, those were tips I wish I knew, Sixth form really is a race aha:smile:
With the EPQ, the project is base around your own interest, so if Shakespeare is what you want to do, go for it. The most important thing is that you are solely interested in it. There is no point in doing a topic you don't even like. Wish you all the best this Tuesday, you'll love it - it will be hard but nothing is impossible.

Funny story, I am not actually going to Uni next September - didn't do too great in June so I am actually doing Year 12 again. I hope people learn from my mistakes though, put in 100%, chase your teachers they are your best resources, don't just read what is required - READ BEYOND, A Levels are not spoonfed.!! :smile:

Good luck darling Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone,

I'm in A2 and I don't know much about your other subjects but for Biology, GET THE SPECIFICATION AND LEARN TO IT. Sure read around as well but make sure you know everything on the spec and know how to answer the long essay questions!

My advice is don't burn yourself out but don't be lazy. It will make things very, very stressful.
My school forces you to do extra-curicullar stuff but it's worth it. Most of the time it's fun and it's also great for making friends.
Use your free periods wisely...

AS was one of my most enjoyable school years (Though I never want to go through it again) so make the most of it!!

Anything else, just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest