The Student Room Group

Complete Beginner, strength training

So basically I'll be starting the gym in September and I'll be a complete beginner to strength training.

Any advice for where to start? Routines? How often per week? Anything that'll help really!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do 20 minutes strength (40 minute full session when you include warm up and whatnot) 3 times a week.
I have the occasional protein drink but nothing more.

I do 3 sets of 12 reps on each weight station at the gym in no particular order and row for 10 minutes at full resistance. Seems to be okay. Nothing intense. Would be a good place to start. Give it a go :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tamimi
I do 20 minutes strength (40 minute full session when you include warm up and whatnot) 3 times a week.
I have the occasional protein drink but nothing more.

I do 3 sets of 12 reps on each weight station at the gym in no particular order and row for 10 minutes at full resistance. Seems to be okay. Nothing intense. Would be a good place to start. Give it a go :smile:

You say 3 sets, how long in between each set do you wait?
Reply 3
No longer will you see food as food but how many grams of protein/carbohydrates/fats :cry:
Reply 4
Original post by Supes
No longer will you see food as food but how many grams of protein/carbohydrates/fats :cry:

I already do, well carbs, having t1 diabetes :tongue:
Make sure you lift as heavy as possible and not quit after 1 month. 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

If I've just moved up 1 kg on dumbbells I would start at 8 reps and continue. Eat as much meat as is humanly possible. How many times per week you go depends on how much time you have.
Eat well (protein shakes not essential but certainly helpful and efficient)

Sleep well

I'd say 3x a week - have a look at Stronglifts or SS

Personally, I think it's important to do some bodyweight exercises as well (either as part of your workout or as a warm-up) i.e. pull-ups (definitely recommend these), push ups, dips etc.

and the most important thing for any beginner lifter...

....DON'T FORGET ABOUT YOUR LEGS!
Original post by KeyFingot

Try a minute to begin with. If that's too short and you get too tired, bring it up to a minute and a half or maybe even 2 minutes
Reply 8
I already do, well carbs, having t1 diabetes :tongue:
Well seeing as you already do here's my 2p

I'd personally recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. I dragged my mate through it last year and it was quite funny watching him struggle to bench press the bar only(20kg) :colone: but overtime, and whilst dieting, he's now benching 50kg which is pretty amazing. He needed me to spot him on bar back in day :tongue:

I've included a youtube link with plenty videos for you to learn the techniques. I like the Mon/Wed/Fri gym days as I think it's important for your body to rest(and grow) whilst recovering on off days. Can throw in some light cardio on other days if you wish.

Oh you might ache like hell for a while but that's normal and you'll get used to it.
Reply 9
Original post by Supes

I've included a youtube link with plenty videos for you to learn the techniques. I like the Mon/Wed/Fri gym days as I think it's important for your body to rest(and grow) whilst recovering on off days. Can throw in some light cardio on other days if you wish.

So would Mon/Wed/Fri (these days fit in well with my uni timetable) doing 3 sets of 12 reps of equipment + press ups, pull ups, crunches, and then Sat and or Sun running/cycling be a good starting point?

Edit: Also, what weights should I start at for each exercise? Or is this only something I'll find out by trying out what works for me?
(edited 10 years ago)
What final fantasy said 5x5 for 3 days a week should be fine, i used to do build muscle instead for my 2 years at college at went 5 days a week, mixed in some strength training in the second year and boy can you tell a difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
So would Mon/Wed/Fri (these days fit in well with my uni timetable) doing 3 sets of 12 reps of equipment + press ups, pull ups, crunches, and then Sat and or Sun running/cycling/cross trainer be a good starting point?

SS and to keep it short is MxWxF and you alternate 2 workouts ABA and BAB

Workout A: 3x5 squats, 3x5 bench, 1x5 deadlift
Workout B: 3x5 squats, 3x5 overhead press, 5x3 powercleans(which I substituted for 3x5 barbell rows(which I know isn't the proper SS programme but still))

I literally do it in the order. I'll do 5 mins cross trainer warm up. Then do a warm up for every exercise with bar only unless it's deadlift I warm up on 50kg

As for what weights to start with you'll have to find out yourself. Until you find a good starting point I'd just do something like 3x5 squats on 30kg 1 set then if that's too light 40kg. if that's okay / maybe a bit light. i'd stick to that and just add 5kg next session

I'm assuming you're going to be bulking(trying to get bigger?)
Reply 12
Wow, how many accounts does Rippetoe have on TSR?

Considering the atrocious results displayed by 90% of SS aficionados it's amazing how reliably and strongly it's suggested. So strange.
Reply 13

Not long. Long enough to sip some water and catch my breath. Not a significant break as such.
So basically I'll be starting the gym in September and I'll be a complete beginner to strength training.

Any advice for where to start? Routines? How often per week? Anything that'll help really!

Starting strength or icecream fitness 5x5.

Icecream fitness has more isolation movements and in my opinion offers a fuller beginner experience.

Follow peoples blogs, watch videos constantly to keep correct form and eat what your body needs; calculate what calories your body needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
These exercises above are good to take note but there is no true time to wait between each set and how many in each set.
Just do as many reps as you can that are good quality reps. But I usually do about 8 reps
Wait time is until you feel comfortable to do another set. My wait time depends on what I'm training
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Would you suggest free weights or resistance machines at first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow

itt:
some people recommending hypertrophy rep ranges for str training
Implying ss is a bad routine for op even though its a STR routine wtf
Reply 18
Lifting 3 consecutive days? Surely Monday Wednesday Friday SL and Tues Thurs Sat running is what you meant, right? I know you added that in at the end. But still... ??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Haha. I am just about to get into lifting myself so was unsure. The advice is sound, though!

However, I think I prefer having cardio on the same day as the workout.

eg.

I do something along the lines of:

Mon
SS A
20 min run
Pressups
Squat/lunge

Wed
SS B
HIIT

Fri
SS A
bodyweight circuit

Sun
Swim/hike

SS being starting strength, alternating between ABA and BAB. I did try basically what you recommended but with SS but find it less tiring to do cardio and weights on the same day, for some reason.

I'm not sure whether I actually like SS much. I did consider moving to SL because I like the 5x5.

Quick Reply

Latest