The Student Room Group

Year in Industry

I plan on taking a gap year after A-Levels doing a year industry. I just wanted to know if a pre-university YinI is the same or different to in offered partway through most engineering degrees? I want to apply to do chemical engineering but need to know if there's any point doing a YinI halfway in the degree if I've already done one before the degree.

Thanks.
Reply 1
I would assume they're different. I've been for placement interviews before as an A-level student and they seemed more about shadowing and seeing the company. The industrial placement year at university should give you the opportunity to work on projects, and sometimes to lead them as well. I haven't seen year-long placements for A-level students though. Typically they're just a few months long.

I suppose the reason is largely because A-level students don't have as much technical knowledge as an undergraduate, so they can't be expected to do the same work. Furthermore, the university placement may lead to a job or other funding opportunities, so it would be well worth considering that one instead. It would just be more current and useful for the company to do it that way.

That said, it never hurts to get your foot in the door with a company if you can find a placement, but if you're choosing one over the other, I'd go with the university placement. Defer your university place for a year and find a job if you do decide to take a year out, but I think you might find it quite boring. I was eager to get straight into uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SillyEddy
I would assume they're different. I've been for placement interviews before as an A-level student and they seemed more about shadowing and seeing the company. The industrial placement year at university should give you the opportunity to work on projects, and sometimes to lead them as well. I haven't seen year-long placements for A-level students though. Typically they're just a few months long.

I suppose the reason is largely because A-level students don't have as much technical knowledge as an undergraduate, so they can't be expected to do the same work. Furthermore, the university placement may lead to a job or other funding opportunities, so it would be well worth considering that one instead. It would just be more current and useful for the company to do it that way.

That said, it never hurts to get your foot in the door with a company if you can find a placement, but if you're choosing one over the other, I'd go with the university placement. Defer your university place for a year and find a job if you do decide to take a year out, but I think you might find it quite boring. I was eager to get straight into uni.

This ^^^

Solidly agree with what Eddy has said.

Placement years within a degree have strict criteria that they have to fulfil eg standard of work undertaken and breadth of subjects and departments covered. Also it's worth bearing in mind that some placement companies might offer a scholarship in conjunction with the placement although that might mean that you are tied to that company for a year or two after graduation. For example I know of a company (mechanical) that reimburses tuition fees for every year a student works for them after graduation. That was pre the fee hike to 9k so whether that would only be in part now I'm not sure, anyway the point I'm making is that there can be strong benefits for doing a placement within the degree.

Also you need to watch in a gap year that your maths skills don't get too rusty.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest