The Student Room Group

Applying to med

Hi,
I applied to four medical schools and was rejected by all of them.
Most of which i wasn't interviewed for and For the one i was interviewed i required three extra points to be accpeted.
I have 5A's in all the science subjects, a language and a C in CT.
Also, i have spent time in a caring environment, done voluntary work, have loads of hobbies (weird and normal ones) and don't intend on taking out a gap year. I recieved offers for both my non medical options, also my personal statement was perfect...So where did I go wrong????
I just want to know..
Any suggestions???(p.s.i'm totally pissed off) :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
zazy
Hi,
I applied to four medical schools and was rejected by all of them.
Most of which i wasn't interviewed for and For the one i was interviewed i required three extra points to be accpeted.
I have 5A's in all the science subjects, a language and a C in CT.
Also, i have spent time in a caring environment, done voluntary work, have loads of hobbies (weird and normal ones) and don't intend on taking out a gap year. I recieved offers for both my non medical options, also my personal statement was perfect...So where did I go wrong????
I just want to know..
Any suggestions???(p.s.i'm totally pissed off) :rolleyes:

Obviously we couldn't tell you exactly where you went wrong without being at your interview/seeing your application. Maybe you could write to the unis and ask for feedback (they don't usually do this, but a few of my friends managed to hassle them into giving some).
If you still want to do medicine that much, you can always do a science degree first and then a fast-track medical course. Either that, or reconsider taking a gap year and reapply.
Reply 2
I asked for feedback and recieved the score sheet, which shockingly was a 60/120 for voluntary work and caring :eek: And i have done just about whatever you can think of in a voluntary, caring and charity capacity....The scores given were shocking.
My communication skills score was good but not satisfactory for me as i wasn't nervous, my body language was perfect, and i could communicate clearly and coherently..Anyway!!
I have actually applied for a biological science and got an offer at the same University.. might give it a try!!! :wink:
#thx
you got 5a's and got rejected? that is jewish....
i got lower grades than you and got conditional offers for dentistry
Reply 4
zazy
I asked for feedback and recieved the score sheet, which shockingly was a 60/120 for voluntary work and caring :eek: And i have done just about whatever you can think of in a voluntary, caring and charity capacity....The scores given were shocking.
My communication skills score was good but not satisfactory for me as i wasn't nervous, my body language was perfect, and i could communicate clearly and coherently..Anyway!!
I have actually applied for a biological science and got an offer at the same University.. might give it a try!!! :wink:
#thx

Voluntary work is a bit of a tricky one. I actually got a higher 'score' working as a supervisor at tesco, than I did working in a nursing home for a couple of months. As long as you're not complaining in a Laura-Spence fashion, I don't see anything wrong in you wanting to find out exactly where you went wrong at interview.
Loads of people on my course did a degree in a sciency subject first, so you wouldn't be among a lonely few if you chose to do it post-degree.
Reply 5
DazYa13
you got 5a's and got rejected? that is jewish....
i got lower grades than you and got conditional offers for dentistry

Tell me about it!!! :confused:
zazy
Tell me about it!!! :confused:

i got interviewed on two out of four, and gave orgasmic interviews.... i found out that on one interview they gave me the offer anyway and they just wanted to test my communication skills and how i put my ideas across
they don't expect you to know a great deal but i just showed interest
YES SHOW INTEREST and you'll be flying

never say HRMMM or pause in an interview or get your words muddled up
it shows you're nervous and not thinking right

Queen mary london i had two dental students watching me so it made it more nerve racking with the professor type guy asking the core Q's
Reply 7
DazYa13
i got interviewed on two out of four, and gave orgasmic interviews.... i found out that on one interview they gave me the offer anyway and they just wanted to test my communication skills and how i put my ideas across
they don't expect you to know a great deal but i just showed interest
YES SHOW INTEREST and you'll be flying

never say HRMMM or pause in an interview or get your words muddled up
it shows you're nervous and not thinking right

Queen mary london i had two dental students watching me so it made it more nerve racking with the professor type guy asking the core Q's

It wa slike that with my pharmacy interview, it was the case of you've got the place..
In my med interview i was quite articulate and showed interest which i was really interested in the time(p.s. i wanted 2 to med form the age of 2 come on..) :smile:
Have u got an offer from manchester that you're asking about it??
yes they gave me an offer but it is for AAB
for my AS's i got ABB but the b's were high

my off. for liverpool is BBB

you wanted to go to med since you were 2? aw how sweet lol

i wouldn't worry ive failed my driving test four times, i had to change instructors,
man that really sucks,

what unis did u apply to ?

i got 3 rejections and 1 offer.............i did a stack of work experience, did charity work for a cancer sufferers society, worked with old people - the works pretty much, i shall be asking for feedback !!!

But its pretty shocking since u got 5As,

do you mind if i take a look at your personal statement ?
Reply 10
You're quite lucky to get a dentistry offer at Man.Loads of my mates were rejected for that course and didn't even make it for an interview...
I was nearly going to apply for dentistry :rolleyes:
Reply 11
I applied to Leeds,Liverpool,Sheffield and Manchester.
Couldn't go far coz my sister was a Leukaemia patient *guilt*
I was interviewed by Manchester for med and rejected.
It does suck!!!
Good luck.. Why on earth did they reject you? :confused:
zazy
You're quite lucky to get a dentistry offer at Man.Loads of my mates were rejected for that course and didn't even make it for an interview...
I was nearly going to apply for dentistry :rolleyes:

the competition is fierce but i got my applicatiobn WAY WAY WAY before the deadline which was something like october 15th?

you should have read dentistry instead of pharmacy or medicine !!! :smile:
become a sexy dentist like me :P
i havent asked for any feedback as of yet but i applied to

oxford, imperial, kings and southampton,

kings offer of ABB
imperial and oxford pre interview rejection
southampton dont interview but was rejected there too

southampton have said that if i dont have any offers, then i should ring them to see if they can find me a place - weird

what did manchester say though ? did u get feedback from there ?
Reply 14
DazYa13
the competition is fierce but i got my applicatiobn WAY WAY WAY before the deadline which was something like october 15th?

you should have read dentistry instead of pharmacy or medicine !!! :smile:
become a sexy dentist like me :P

Lolz...
I'm more like to be the monster in the white coat that chases lttl kiddies with rotten teeth with a drill in my hand..(A Freddie sort of scene :wink: )
(R u a girl?(just askin))
Reply 15
theycallmemrpig
i havent asked for any feedback as of yet but i applied to

oxford, imperial, kings and southampton,

kings offer of ABB
imperial and oxford pre interview rejection
southampton dont interview but was rejected there too

southampton have said that if i dont have any offers, then i should ring them to see if they can find me a place - weird

what did manchester say though ? did u get feedback from there ?

Yeah, quite weird....
They gave me a scoresheet..Got 61 (which a min of 63 or 64 was required to get an offer), but i wasn't impressed with most of the scores given..
Yeah that is quite weird-How would they find you a place???
Got a letter from an Amercian med school-Bizarre
lol someone with a humour, you deserved to get into that degree programme.

am a boy :wink:
Reply 17
DazYa13
lol someone with a humour, you deserved to get into that degree programme.

am a boy :wink:

Maybe it's against the requirements to have a sense of humour..Silly me!!! :redface:
zazy
Maybe it's against the requirements to have a sense of humour..Silly me!!! :redface:

lol maybe....... you should have met some of the people when i went for my manchester interview! LOL
Reply 19
DazYa13
lol maybe....... you should have met some of the people when i went for my manchester interview! LOL

Why??What about them??A bunch of nurds??
Although, Man is my hometown still i can say that on two of my interviews i encountered very peculiar ppl :confused: that were shacking before the interviews, almost in a fit!!!! :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending