The whole issue of Media at Uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
oh_sweet_surrey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Ok, you remember, there was this long thread debating whether media should be studied at uni or not. Before I read this, I had been so happy I got an offer from Royal Holloway to read Media Arts, jumping all over the place and hugging everyone passing by, cos I had always wanted to get into Media industry, and believed that media dept at Uni would be an ideal thing to do to pursue my passion. But ever since I read many posts denouncing media, that it couldnt lead you to a media career, and that its a complete waste of time, I have been so shocked, and despiritualised that I actually ended up seeing a psychiatrist. I aint kidding, thats how sensitive I am. Well, now I've gottn over it, since I KNOW that media is a highly respected subject in Japan and Germany (where I'm willing to get employed in the future), and is studied in many prestigious unis in Japan and Germany, producing a great number of students getting into media industry. These facts reassured me, so I no longer care whether British people think of it as a proper subject or not, because their perspective seems to be a lot different from that of the rest of the world. The only thing I'm concerned about is my uni life. Before reading those threads I had fantasised about a new happy British uni life, but now I'm afraid that lots of "traditionalists" in England are going to persecute or ostracise me just for being a media student. I am not trying to pick quarrel with anyone here, I love Britain and British people, thats why I chose to study there, but if I'm not gonna be respected as a uni student, the next 4 yrs would be a nightmare for me. Also, why do ppl immediately think media is an easy subject? Is it because the media studies in A-levels is easy? Or is it because low unis like TVU adopted so many media departments? I dont want ppl to think I'm a thick person, I have been predicted straight As and am planning to do Masters, and the offer from RHUL for media is ABB. I just feel so uneasy, I keep tossing about in bed every night, and worrying my parents. Until several weeks ago, happiness had dominated my heart and now its just misery and anxiety!!!!
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Media is percieved by many (though not everbody by any means) in england to be an easy subject (including me) though not completly pointless i think there may be more valuable things you could do. in some cases it seems that people get degrees for watching tv for three yrs. If i was you i would have made more of my straight As and done a more challenging subject.
young_free
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This forum did the same thing to me for a lot of other things, just be happy that you've gotten over it and to be honest you shouldn't have let it get to you so much in the first place. Royal Holloway is a great uni and you're going to be very happy there! And no media is not as bad as people on here make it out to be, it is a very relevant subject. In fact, I think if you had a thorough look around you will see people denouncing everything that is not law, medicine, economics or maths. Journalism is the one that got to me, I'm not doing journalism myself but I think a degree in that would be very nice. Ya know what, maybe you should take a break from this forum, it doesn't seem to be doing you any good. Good Luck, and CONGRATULATIONS on your offer!!
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if you want to go into the media industry then i think media is a valid and worthwhile degree. i think the thing that pisses people off about the subject is that lots of people take media at uni because it's an easy option with no intention of doing anything related to the subject. i know 2 people who are off to do media degree's, one girl has wanted to be involved with film production since she was a kid and does a photography course and makes her own films whereas another person told me she was just going into it because she doesn't think it'll be too hard and an easy way to doss 3 years. it's people like that that give media studies a bad name, not the subject itself.

okay, it's not too hard a degree to pass, lets face it. but creating you're own movies, making them thoughful and artistic so they appeal to people and make them enthralled in the plot, that is hard. a first in media shows dedication and enthusiasm, just like a first in any other subject. i feel sorry for the people genuinely interested in the subject who's degree is constantly belittled due to the majority of people just taking it for an easy ride.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I want to do a journalism degree but I'm worried about the exact same thing - people thinking it's a doss subject and me not being able to get a job out of it. I got AAC in my Jan exams (I'm in year 12 and I'm retaking the C as I was predicited an A) so I'm not thick either, but I'm worried that if I do a journalism degree then people will think I am. I'm even thinking about maybe doing English instead now, just because people take it more seriously.
TheMutantGerbil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I want to do a journalism degree but I'm worried about the exact same thing - people thinking it's a doss subject and me not being able to get a job out of it. I got AAC in my Jan exams (I'm in year 12 and I'm retaking the C as I was predicited an A) so I'm not thick either, but I'm worried that if I do a journalism degree then people will think I am. I'm even thinking about maybe doing English instead now, just because people take it more seriously.
I had a similar dilemma. I would love to go into journalism but journalism degrees just aren't respected. This is probably because the knowledge needed to be a journalist is pretty limited. It's mainly about skills - if you have a talent for writing - which I don't really think can be learnt - it won't take long to learn the skills involved to write for newspaper/magazines. I decided to do a law degree because 1. it's another thing I'm interested in and 2. it's a well respected degree which could lead onto a variety of careers. I'm still undecided as to whether I want to pursue law as a career or journalism but at least, when I graduate, I know I'll have the choice. If you've got your heart set on Media/journalism, it certainly is a useful degree to do but, unlike for law, you don't have to do the degree to go into that field.
Biobiobio
Report 15 years ago
I think media is an innovative, farsighted subject of the future! And yes, it seems to be respected anywhere else but in England! In the States and in Asia there r loads of media depts in good unis! So dont u worry bout wot narrow-minded splenetic Brits say! Britain IS traditionalistic and conservative nd often reluctant to accept new things even if theyre real good! And, no, of course ppl wont ostracise u cos of being a media student! UKL ppl seem to be really harsh, but thats because theyre saying stuff through internet, theyd neva have the guts to denounce other subjects in public! Bunch of cowards here, really, who are trying to ease school stress by insulting other ppl. Anyways, my point is ; DONt WORRY mate! U'll have a gr8 time at RHUL, and youll become the greatest tv producer of the world! (I mean... look at the syllabus of RHUL Media Dept; theyre doing lots of history, psychoanalysis and sociology nd stuff! Nd the practical bit seems to be challenging, too!) it aint lightweight, so dont get so devastated at wot ppl here write, its almost ridiculous to see a psychiatrist cos of UKL!!!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I believe it's what you make of the degree that counts.. so don't be too bothered about what people say. You sound like you really love the subject and will likely do very well in it! Just enjoy yourself at RH.. I'm sure you will

xoxo
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by oh_sweet_surrey)
Ok, you remember, there was this long thread debating whether media should be studied at uni or not. Before I read this, I had been so happy I got an offer from Royal Holloway to read Media Arts, jumping all over the place and hugging everyone passing by, cos I had always wanted to get into Media industry, and believed that media dept at Uni would be an ideal thing to do to pursue my passion. But ever since I read many posts denouncing media, that it couldnt lead you to a media career, and that its a complete waste of time, I have been so shocked, and despiritualised that I actually ended up seeing a psychiatrist. I aint kidding, thats how sensitive I am. Well, now I've gottn over it, since I KNOW that media is a highly respected subject in Japan and Germany (where I'm willing to get employed in the future), and is studied in many prestigious unis in Japan and Germany, producing a great number of students getting into media industry. These facts reassured me, so I no longer care whether British people think of it as a proper subject or not, because their perspective seems to be a lot different from that of the rest of the world. The only thing I'm concerned about is my uni life. Before reading those threads I had fantasised about a new happy British uni life, but now I'm afraid that lots of "traditionalists" in England are going to persecute or ostracise me just for being a media student. I am not trying to pick quarrel with anyone here, I love Britain and British people, thats why I chose to study there, but if I'm not gonna be respected as a uni student, the next 4 yrs would be a nightmare for me. Also, why do ppl immediately think media is an easy subject? Is it because the media studies in A-levels is easy? Or is it because low unis like TVU adopted so many media departments? I dont want ppl to think I'm a thick person, I have been predicted straight As and am planning to do Masters, and the offer from RHUL for media is ABB. I just feel so uneasy, I keep tossing about in bed every night, and worrying my parents. Until several weeks ago, happiness had dominated my heart and now its just misery and anxiety!!!!
I've never actually studied media, but I know a lot about it. There's a lot of pointless intellectual snobbery in the UK...every new subject is slammed in this way... and most subjects in Brit higher education have been introduced in the last 100 years, so most have been through this...most of the people doing the ****ging have never actually read a single book on the subject they claim to despise.....things will get better for media people as time passes and newer subjects become the hate objects...
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
Hewins, I'm still trying to figure out what you study at the LSE. I suspected Media until I read the above. Wish to shed any light?
It's history of ideas (doctoral), political theory-I won't say which department, too close to home...before that I was at a certain rather boring Oxbridge college...
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
It's history of ideas (doctoral), political theory-I won't say which department, too close to home...before that I was at a certain rather boring Oxbridge college...
really, that is the Phd I'd want to do. Intellectual History basically, oui?
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Doing a Journalism degree IS respected, HOWEVER! They have been around about 10 years, so the people are still working their way through the system.
Getting a degree in Journalism is NOT, I repeat NOT a waste of time!!! it deals with media law, media history, media ethics, shorthand, politics etc.
You need to be able to understand the world for yourself in order to articulate it to the rest of the world in a way they can understand.

Many newspapers such as The Times etc would **** off a journalism or Media degree, however magazines like Smash Hits employ journalism degree students all the time. One of their editors had a degree in journalism!!!!
A lot of it depends where you go, everybody gives this impression that Bournemouth has the best reputation, in some ways it does everybody that goes to do a mediaesque degree there has straight A's. Not necessarily in the subjects, they don't take you on writing ability whatsoever!
Other places like Cardiff are not as good for an Undergraduate degree, postgrad yes and they have built up a slight prestige around it.

Another place is London College of Printing (or Communication as it is known now), it's basically Rupert Murdock's "pet" school. Every year he buys them new computers, new editing suite material etc all for the media department and they are well known for being very employable (I am going here myself to do Journalism).

The bad press is from the press, the people who's jobs would be threatned were degrees in media and journalism to become "good".

Don't listen to what others say, if you want to do it then DO IT. Going to University isn't all about having a secure job at the end, it's about learning about life and other transferable skills. Empathy etc.
If media is your bag, like me, just do it and don't listen to anybody else that tells you, you won't get a job!!
Rupz
Report 15 years ago
hi i just wanted to let u know that im studying media at uni(media culture and communications) and u have absolutely nothing2 fear! i don't know what crap other people have been saying about media studies but i assure u it is all worth while! true their are more students studying media then actual jobs but i reckon(i know this sounds cheesey) if u worlk hard then u will crack the media system. People(fools) just presume that we just sit around watching films all day but that is so not the case! i'm in my second year and i work damn hard on all my coursework and i think media is equal to any other 'hard' subject, media studies isn't the easiest subject to do we do actually have to work hard to get the grades!
also no one will victimise u 4 doing media!!!! it is now a well respected course to be doing. and countless jobs avalable from media.
so don't worry and enjoy(well try!) to enjoy ur course!
oh_sweet_surrey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Ppl, thanx so much for cheering me up... I'm determined to accept my offer and indulge my passion whatever ppl say. I've actually looked at some other courses, but still, media seems to be the only subject to which I can devote myself... hope I'll get all the required grades, nd regain my self-esteem. After all, what is important is the fact that I can study in the UK at all.. in my dream country!!!
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
Hewins, have you read Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes? He asserts that certain ideas can become mental viruses that, like genes, use man to replicate themselves, even driving us to attack others who hold opposite memes. Ideas can thus autonomously seek their own survival and use us for their benefit. David Bohm has also written about how systems of thought can autonomously enslave man, effectively creating mental prisons.

What do you think of such a notion?
It's fascinating, riddled with epistemological problems (but then what isn't?), but something I keep meaning to look at...a related set of theories comes from Rupert Sheldrake, talking about 'morphic resonances'...
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.65%
Excited (154)
9.1%
Worried (304)
17.97%
Terrified (376)
22.22%
Meh (162)
9.57%
Confused (37)
2.19%