The Student Room Group

A Level predictions

Hi,
How many UMS do u normally need to be predicted an A*?? :s-smilie: Does Anyone Know??? :s-smilie:
Original post by DdosetDaram
Hi,
How many UMS do u normally need to be predicted an A*?? :s-smilie: Does Anyone Know??? :s-smilie:

No, I don't know, but to an extent the prediction doesn't matter. Many people will get a higher grade at the a#end of a year than they were predicted. As long as you aim for an A*, you can get there.
Reply 2
But some universities like Birmingham, and Oxbridge want you to be predicted an A*AA
so i guess my prediction does matter.
Reply 3
Hi,

It depends on the teacher, 90%+ is normally a guaranteed prediction, 85%+ likely, 80%+ potentially with a lot of persuasion, 70%+ potentially but only if the student shows a real commitment to working hard :smile:

Some schools are really careful though, as they don't want to overpredict :s-smilie:

What are your percentages OP, we'll probably be able to assess it better if we know them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Yeah i got 90% so was wondering if i would be predicted an A*.. not necessarily by the teacher but by UCAS?
Reply 5
The prediction does matter as many universities want predicted A*s for some of their courses, and any predicted A*s (depending on the course) will help your application on an academic basis.

Every school and every department will differ for this. Some departments at some schools will give you an automatic A* prediction as long as you get 90% UMS and are not horrendously failing the beginning of A2. Some departments will take into account how you are working in A2 more, and so you may get away with 8x% as long as you are performing well in tests, and were before your exams (such a system will be in your favour if you did not do as well as you wanted at AS or are planning to resit modules, but will work against you if you appear to be struggling with the A2 content.) Some departments at some schools will compare your AS UMS to the UMS of those in the previous year(s) who achieved A*s at A2 to see if, statistically, you have a realistic chance.

All in all - there are different ways, and the only people that can tell you for sure are your subject teachers/heads of dept. Good luck!
Reply 6
Hi,

It depends on your school :smile:
At my school 90%+ UMS pretty much guarantees it, 85-90% puts you in a good position. It also depends whether your teachers think you are a hard worker or not :biggrin:
Reply 7
Yeah i got 90% so was wondering if i would be predicted an A*.. not necessarily by the teacher but by UCAS?

Your teachers give you your predicted grades; those are what the universities see.
Reply 8
Original post by g.k.galloway
It depends on your school :smile:
At my school 90%+ UMS pretty much guarantees it, 85-90% puts you in a good position. It also depends whether your teachers think you are a hard worker or not :biggrin:

Yeh, i got 90% so was wondering if i would be predicted an A*? but necessarily by the teacher but by UCAS?
Reply 9
Original post by ddosetdaram
yeh, i got 90% so was wondering if i would be predicted an a*? But necessarily by the teacher but by ucas?

okay thankyou!! :d
Reply 10
Yeh, i got 90% so was wondering if i would be predicted an A*? but necessarily by the teacher but by UCAS?

UCAS doesn't predict grades, that's the responsibility of your school - it goes in your references too :smile:

90% should put you in a good position for an A* prediction :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Aquar
The prediction does matter as many universities want predicted A*s for some of their courses, and any predicted A*s (depending on the course) will help your application on an academic basis.

Every school and every department will differ for this. Some departments at some schools will give you an automatic A* prediction as long as you get 90% UMS and are not horrendously failing the beginning of A2. Some departments will take into account how you are working in A2 more, and so you may get away with 8x% as long as you are performing well in tests, and were before your exams (such a system will be in your favour if you did not do as well as you wanted at AS or are planning to resit modules, but will work against you if you appear to be struggling with the A2 content.) Some departments at some schools will compare your AS UMS to the UMS of those in the previous year(s) who achieved A*s at A2 to see if, statistically, you have a realistic chance.

All in all - there are different ways, and the only people that can tell you for sure are your subject teachers/heads of dept. Good luck!

Okay thankyouuu! :biggrin:
Reply 12
UCAS doesn't predict grades, that's the responsibility of your school - it goes in your references too :smile:

90% should put you in a good position for an A* prediction :smile:

I dont knw.. my school teacher was talking about some UCAS predictions and i was like WHAAAAAAAT? :O
Reply 13
I dont knw.. my school teacher was talking about some UCAS predictions and i was like WHAAAAAAAT? :O

Your school may call them 'ucas predictions' as they are the ones you use for your ucas application :smile:
Reply 14
Your school may call them 'ucas predictions' as they are the ones you use for your ucas application :smile:

They sounded like as if they were two separate things. :/
thanks anyways

Quick Reply

Latest