The Student Room Group

A-level Private Candidate (Manchester)

Hi
I want to resit some modules for my a-level Biology and Chemistry. I am trying to find a centre that will accept me as an external Candidate in the Manchester area. But I not having any luck so far. Does any one have any suggestions of colleges I can go to. Preferably in Manchester area as I am studying for my degree there.

Thanks 😃

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm considering doing a resit for one subject as just a few ums away from the next grade, but I'm moving away for uni next month and have no clue how to go about doing so! Can you literally just find an exam centre which accepts external candidates and sit one unit, and if so, do you know if the modules you didn't resit are sort of carried over automatically to be cashed in again or do you need to sort something out with where you originally sat the A-Level for your marks to be transferred and whatnot? Sorry for diverting your thread, but I'm a bit confused, and you seem to be doing a similar thing to me! :tongue:
Original post by emma2013
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm considering doing a resit for one subject as just a few ums away from the next grade, but I'm moving away for uni next month and have no clue how to go about doing so! Can you literally just find an exam centre which accepts external candidates and sit one unit, and if so, do you know if the modules you didn't resit are sort of carried over automatically to be cashed in again or do you need to sort something out with where you originally sat the A-Level for your marks to be transferred and whatnot? Sorry for diverting your thread, but I'm a bit confused, and you seem to be doing a similar thing to me! :tongue:

Hi
I don't mind! We can help each other! I am in the same situation. I need to resit because I am a couple of Ums short from the next grade. I am assuming that you can find an exam centre to resit the module. But finding an exam centre that will be willing to take you on as an external candidate is difficult. I contacted OCR and they said can resit whenever you want to and your marks from your other modules will still be carried over.
Hope that helps
Reply 3
Original post by .the.something.club.
Hi
I don't mind! We can help each other! I am in the same situation. I need to resit because I am a couple of Ums short from the next grade. I am assuming that you can find an exam centre to resit the module. But finding an exam centre that will be willing to take you on as an external candidate is difficult. I contacted OCR and they said can resit whenever you want to and your marks from your other modules will still be carried over.
Hope that helps

Ok that's good, thanks! I'm sitting 3ums (2 raw) off the next grade and remarks turned up zilch, so I'm hoping to pick up a few extra marks to bump it up. My main problem is that for some bizarre reason my school uses the welsh board, and it seems nowhere else does :redface: so finding a centre is going to be a massive pain. I just saw that as long as you have your UCI then marks can be carried over so that looks good! :smile:
Cool beans!
I have been ringing colleges in the Manchester area and no one is wants to take on an external student. Not even the private colleges!
Reply 5
Have you tried secondary schools?

I was able to sit privately this year at my local one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aries1992

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually that is something I haven't tried. I assumed they wouldn't let me because I am resisting A-levels. But I will give them a try on Monday thanks! Do you live around the Manchester area?
Reply 7
Original post by .the.something.club.
Actually that is something I haven't tried. I assumed they wouldn't let me because I am resisting A-levels. But I will give them a try on Monday thanks! Do you live around the Manchester area?

Well most secondary schools have a sixth form so they offer a-levels too. I would suggest you ring round all your local ones. They are also cheaper than a centre.

No I'm from Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, long shot, but do you know if centres are usually willing to arrange for a private candidate to sit a subject on a different exam board? I'm having difficulty finding anywhere which does my subject/exam board combination :frown:
Reply 9
Hi, long shot, but do you know if centres are usually willing to arrange for a private candidate to sit a subject on a different exam board? I'm having difficulty finding anywhere which does my subject/exam board combination :frown:

Centres should offer any exam and board because all they have to do is order the paper.

What subject and board is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Centres should offer any exam and board because all they have to do is order the paper.

What subject and board is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok that's reassuring!

German on WJEC- so few people sit it, I don't even know why my school picked that board :redface:
Ok that's reassuring!

German on WJEC- so few people sit it, I don't even know why my school picked that board :redface:

All centres have to do is order the paper from whichever exam board you're on so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
All centres have to do is order the paper from whichever exam board you're on so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, you've reassured me a lot :smile:
Couldn't you just return to your old school to retake the exam?
Reply 14
Original post by Origami Bullets
Couldn't you just return to your old school to retake the exam?

250 miles away for me! Not completely practical considering term won't have finished by the time A-Levels are starting :frown:
250 miles away for me! Not completely practical considering term won't have finished by the time A-Levels are starting :frown:

Assuming that the exam doesn't clash with a uni exam, then you might be best off just getting the train down the night before, and then getting the train back to Manchester after the exam.

If it's that or not sitting the exam, I'd choose that.
Reply 16
Original post by Origami Bullets
Assuming that the exam doesn't clash with a uni exam, then you might be best off just getting the train down the night before, and then getting the train back to Manchester after the exam.

If it's that or not sitting the exam, I'd choose that.

It's the.something.club who's in manchester, I'm not sure how far away it is for her.

But yes that's probably a good idea assuming that nothing clashes, if we can't find anything locally. Thanks :smile:
Yeah I am studying in Manchester currently. I haven't had the chance to contact the secondary schools yet. But I know that if worst comes to worst I may have to travel to sit the exam. It was OCR a- level in bio and chem. does anyone know of any centres around Manchester? I don't mind travelling.
hey friends
is that possible to prepare myself for o and a both levels in 9 months to get good grades without going anywhere such as school and other institutes just by studying at home and with the help of internet.O yeah important thing i have chosen 8subjects 5 for o level and 3 for alevel (chm,phy,bio,eng,mth) for o and again (bio,chm,phy) for advance level so please experts need your suggestions pleeeeeeeeeeease help me..
Reply 19
Hi, can anyone tell me how much it would cost if I sat the A levels as an external/private candidate? And does anyone know how I can go about with the coursework and experiments?

Quick Reply

Latest