This discussion is closed.
Kish
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I need help on my Homework

OK, so There are 3 coils with 3 magnets in them.(which means there are three different diagrams)and of course the ammeter in each)

One magnet is stationary in the coil, which reads 0.

The second is approaching the coil with the North side towards the coil, which reads +4

The third is receading with the south pole going out first which reads -4

I am meant to fill in the blanks.

In 1 No current (electrical energy) is induced to flow because...........

In 2 A current is induced to flow and the Ammeter reads. However the magnet must.................... So the end of the coil it is approaching becomes a....... pole due to.................

In 3 Current is agian induced to flow. So the North pole of the magnet must be by the end of the coil as the magnet must be able to................ To achieve this, the current must now flow in the coil.......................

Can i have some help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kish)

OK, so There are 3 coils with 3 magnets in them.(which means there are three different diagrams)and of course the ammeter in each)

The second is approaching the coil with the North side towards the coil, which reads +4

In 2 A current is induced to flow and the Ammeter reads. However the magnet must.................... So the end of the coil it is approaching becomes a....... pole due to.................

In 3 Current is agian induced to flow. So the North pole of the magnet must be by the end of the coil as the magnet must be able to................ To achieve this, the current must now flow in the coil.......................

For 1, No current is induced to flow because there is no change in magnetic flux. An induced voltage (and therefore a current) will only flow if you have a change in magnetic flux (Faraday's Law - ie. to induce a voltage, either the coil needs to be moving, or the magnet does).

For 2, the magnet must repel, the end of the coil must become a North pole due to Lenz's Law (the direction of the induced voltage is such that it opposes the change producing it).

For 3, the magnet must attract, so now the current has to flow in the opposite direction to produce a South pole (again Lenz's Law).
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kish)

i detest magnetic stuff in A2 physics, i can't get my head around it.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
i detest magnetic stuff in A2 physics, i can't get my head around it.
Thermodynamics is worse.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Thermodynamics is worse.
i'm not too much of a thermo fan myslef. I like mechanics though.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
i'm not too much of a thermo fan myslef. I like mechanics though.
Same here .
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads