The Student Room Group

AS Geography without GCSE - where do I start?

Hi all,

I decided to do AS Geography instead of Psychology because I missed the requirements. I've done History so I'm able to do Geography without the GCSE. However, the last Geography lesson I had was in Year 9. I think I was averaging something like a level 7, which is pretty good in Key Stage 3 terms. The only things I can remember now though are what coastal erosion is and what LEDCs are...

I'd like to get to a point where I have somewhat of a good idea of the topics that are discussed in Geography. I have an AS book, however I have no idea where to start (the first few pages are rather confusing). Would getting a GCSE Geography book and reading over that help? I'm not planning to teach the entire course to myself but instead have a better overview of the subject.

Did anybody else do the same thing as I'm doing? If so, how did you manage the first few weeks?
Reply 1
I just did AS geography having not done GCSE and I found it fine - I got 98%!
I'm by no means a genius and I didn't do any catchup work prior to starting the AS course. To be honest I think it worked in my advantage - everything I was being taught seemed fresh and exciting whereas for everyone else it was often just repeating things they'd learnt in GCSE. Although there is a lot of crossover from GCSE I find that the AS is taught in a way that you can basically do it with no previous geographical knowledge as long as your reasonably intelligent - if you're learning something thats been studied at GCSE they will re-teach it at AS.

Hope this helps...
Original post by Touchme
I just did AS geography having not done GCSE and I found it fine - I got 98%!
I'm by no means a genius and I didn't do any catchup work prior to starting the AS course. To be honest I think it worked in my advantage - everything I was being taught seemed fresh and exciting whereas for everyone else it was often just repeating things they'd learnt in GCSE. Although there is a lot of crossover from GCSE I find that the AS is taught in a way that you can basically do it with no previous geographical knowledge as long as your reasonably intelligent - if you're learning something thats been studied at GCSE they will re-teach it at AS.

Hope this helps...

This answers pretty much everything, I couldn't agree more.
Original post by Bonoahx
Hi all,

I decided to do AS Geography instead of Psychology because I missed the requirements. I've done History so I'm able to do Geography without the GCSE. However, the last Geography lesson I had was in Year 9. I think I was averaging something like a level 7, which is pretty good in Key Stage 3 terms. The only things I can remember now though are what coastal erosion is and what LEDCs are...

I'd like to get to a point where I have somewhat of a good idea of the topics that are discussed in Geography. I have an AS book, however I have no idea where to start (the first few pages are rather confusing). Would getting a GCSE Geography book and reading over that help? I'm not planning to teach the entire course to myself but instead have a better overview of the subject.

Did anybody else do the same thing as I'm doing? If so, how did you manage the first few weeks?

I did history at GCSE but didnt do geography and did it as AS as I didn't want to do history as its looked sooooo bad!

When I got my results back I got a B overall, and considering I didnt do GCSE geo I was very happy and I think I was only 8 UMS off an A

In terms of the start, its not to bad for AQA anyways, so I think you will be fine :smile:
Original post by Bonoahx
Hi all,

Geo is pretty straightforward , ended up with full UMS in Geo for A-Level and am giving tuition:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Bonoahx
Hi all,

I did do gcse, but I would advise maybe read a bit on tectonic plates and volcanos and earthquakes, as most exam boards have that topic. generally they have population as a topic too and even if they don't it's a good thing to know, so just read a few bbc bitesize gcse things. though you should be fine anyway, geography is not hard! :smile:
Sorry for the relatively late response, thanks for all your help, I have my first Geography lesson tomorrow so I hope it goes OK!
Original post by Bonoahx
Sorry for the relatively late response, thanks for all your help, I have my first Geography lesson tomorrow so I hope it goes OK!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well!
Original post by moggington
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well!

The lesson was cancelled, it's sort of funny.
Reply 9
Original post by Bonoahx
Hi all,

Hey I did AS Geography without the GCSE and I've continued onto do A2. I managed to get an A in the main exam and a C in the skills which I can resit this year. I am predicted an A despite being no brain box. I've loved it so far and I never felt lost in lessons because I didn't do GCSE. In some ways I think its helpful because you can't stick with the exam technique many students are used to at GCSE because you have no previous experience. Exam technique is what brings many students marks down! I think you'll be fine. Just read through the textbook before lessons and make yourself aware of key terms!! Good luck!!:smile:
Reply 10
I didn't do Geography at GCSE but didn't find this at all to slow me down what so ever. It's actually turned out to be my fav subject and hopefully I'll be doing it at uni this time next year!
If you're worried about not having any background knowledge then I guess you just have to be proactive and read up on some stuff relevant to your course and/or ask your teacher what you'll be doing next lesson and reading up on it before hand. What exam board are you with? I did Edexcel and found it really interesting! :-)
Everything you need will be taught to you fresh.
My GCSE geography did not help one bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending