The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for Cambridge/Oxford chemical engineering?

Hey guys! I'm an international student, I got A*s in Chem, phy, bio, maths, ict and english as second language. I have take Chem. A level got an A* and got an A in A level maths, i will also be taking physics a level this year, I hope i get an A*.. Do you think i am eligible for cambridge/oxford? And will i be eligible to receive a scholarship to there??
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by daisy96
Hey guys! I'm an international student, I got A*s in Chem, phy, bio, maths, ict and english as second language. I have take Chem. A level got an A* and got an A in A level maths, i will also be taking physics a level this year, I hope i get an A*.. Do you think i am eligible for cambridge/oxford? And will i be eligible to receive a scholarship to there??

Cambridge and Oxford will often want you to have taken 3 A-Levels in one year. Your grades on their own appear good enough, but this may be a problem. I would e-mail their admissions teams about it.
Reply 2
Original post by daisy96

As you're not doing further maths, I think chem eng. via natsci is more of an option for you at Cambridge. You didn't get an A* at A Level maths I assume, which will put you at a serious disadvantage, more so if you apply via engineering. You'll have to compensate for your Maths performance via maths challenge, etc... Scholarships vary depending on which country you're from, so you're gonna have to research that yourself. But from my experience of scholarship candidates, they are pretty much exceptional, whereas you're around average for a Cambridge applicant based on what you've told us. So, yes, you're probably eligible, but idk if you'll get it... The scholarship thing I said may not be true depending on where you're from, and any other info which you've not disclosed here. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by daisy96

As a poster has already mentioned, they do expect you to do your A-levels in one year and the A in maths might put you at a disadvantage. Any scholarships are for applicants significantly above average and do tend to have specific criteria attached, e.g. you have to be a national of a particular country.

Oxford don't ask for your UMS percentages, but Cambridge do, and most applicants typically have ~90% as their sciences average, and to get an interview you need to get around 85% so that's something to check
Reply 4
Original post by Tuya
As you're not doing further maths, I think chem eng. via natsci is more of an option for you at Cambridge. You didn't get an A* at A Level maths I assume, which will put you at a serious disadvantage, more so if you apply via engineering. You'll have to compensate for your Maths performance via maths challenge, etc... Scholarships vary depending on which country you're from, so you're gonna have to research that yourself. But from my experience of scholarship candidates, they are pretty much exceptional, whereas you're around average for a Cambridge applicant based on what you've told us. So, yes, you're probably eligible, but idk if you'll get it... The scholarship thing I said may not be true depending on where you're from, and any other info which you've not disclosed here. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply! However, I would like to ask, what would be the criteria of exceptional students receiving awards? i mean usually how many A levels and IGCSEs do they take? And what grades do they get? If i take further maths and i achieve an A* in it, that would compensate for my Maths AL grade right?.. Please note that ALL the examinations that I took are CIE not edexcel or anything else, so they're usually relatively harder... Please reply me asap!!
Reply 5
Original post by smile:D
As a poster has already mentioned, they do expect you to do your A-levels in one year and the A in maths might put you at a disadvantage. Any scholarships are for applicants significantly above average and do tend to have specific criteria attached, e.g. you have to be a national of a particular country.

Oxford don't ask for your UMS percentages, but Cambridge do, and most applicants typically have ~90% as their sciences average, and to get an interview you need to get around 85% so that's something to check

Thank you for your reply! CIE doesn't offer UMS in the country I am currently in, but offers Components' grades, would that be sufficient, especially if I get As in all my components? Thanks again!
Reply 6
Original post by daisy96
Thank you so much for your reply! However, I would like to ask, what would be the criteria of exceptional students receiving awards? i mean usually how many A levels and IGCSEs do they take? And what grades do they get? If i take further maths and i achieve an A* in it, that would compensate for my Maths AL grade right?.. Please note that ALL the examinations that I took are CIE not edexcel or anything else, so they're usually relatively harder... Please reply me asap!!

As I say, I don't know anything about your specific countries completion levels, criteria, so you need to email the admissions tutors at the uni, and ask them, they'll know best/tell you wo to ask.
As for the further maths thing, yeah, it'd be a cover up, but you can't get A* in further maths without A* in maths I think. I think your UMS average will play a part in the scholarship thing, and the A in maths isn't helping you in that regard, but as I say, best people to ask are the tutors...
I'd expect scholarship pupils tend to have clean A*s, so I'm not sure if you're gonna get it or not, though of you have sufficient extra currulars relevant to chem. eng, they can tip the balance...
Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by daisy96
Thank you for your reply! CIE doesn't offer UMS in the country I am currently in, but offers Components' grades, would that be sufficient, especially if I get As in all my components? Thanks again!

I would think that would be fine, however I would definitely email them and check, they're normally very happy to respond to queries :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by smile:D
I would think that would be fine, however I would definitely email them and check, they're normally very happy to respond to queries :smile:

Awesome! Thanks for the reply :smile: I hope everything works out well, I will certainly do that! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Tuya
As I say, I don't know anything about your specific countries completion levels, criteria, so you need to email the admissions tutors at the uni, and ask them, they'll know best/tell you wo to ask.
As for the further maths thing, yeah, it'd be a cover up, but you can't get A* in further maths without A* in maths I think. I think your UMS average will play a part in the scholarship thing, and the A in maths isn't helping you in that regard, but as I say, best people to ask are the tutors...
I'd expect scholarship pupils tend to have clean A*s, so I'm not sure if you're gonna get it or not, though of you have sufficient extra currulars relevant to chem. eng, they can tip the balance...
Good luck!

Alright! Much thanks :smile: I will certainly contact them to have further information!! Do you have any idea whether further Maths and Physics, are they closely related or not? And from your point of view, should I take more IGCSEs or what I have taken is sufficient? Thanks in advance for ur reply!
Reply 10
Original post by daisy96
Alright! Much thanks :smile: I will certainly contact them to have further information!! Do you have any idea whether further Maths and Physics, are they closely related or not? And from your point of view, should I take more IGCSEs or what I have taken is sufficient? Thanks in advance for ur reply!

6 A*s is fine for Cambridge, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maths and physics are compulsory for entry via engineering, and you'll be severely disadvantaged without at least AS further maths(even for via natsci I think). Physics is also really important, after all, it's an engineering discipline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending