The Student Room Group

High ukcat but low as grades

I just wanted to know, could you still apply for Medicine if you did really well in your UKCAT exam, but just missed the AS requirements or predictions for a Med course like say you got abcc for your AS's or worse? :biggrin::s-smilie::confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Yunggee
I just wanted to know, could you still apply for Medicine if you did really well in your UKCAT exam, but just missed the AS requirements or predictions for a Med course like say you got abcc for your AS's or worse? :biggrin::s-smilie::confused:

Unfortunately, most universities use the AAA predictions as a minimum cut-off. So no, unless you can get a C to be remarked to a B, and get predicted A*AA/AAA
Predictions, no. AS grades, yes.
Reply 3
My only problem is my school is really stingy with predictions, they basically predict what you got unlike most other schools!
A friend of mine got into St Georges with a really good UKCAT but really bad AS grades (I think he got a C/D in chemistry), so it's definitely possible. Just make sure you look at the admissions pages for whichever unis you're applying to, and don't apply to any that will throw out your application based on AS and/or A2 predictions.
Original post by Yunggee
My only problem is my school is really stingy with predictions, they basically predict what you got unlike most other schools!

You're going to have to convince them - work hard, offer to do mocks to prove yourself etc.
Otherwise take a gap year and apt the following year with your A2 results.
Reply 6
Original post by Yunggee

How high is high? And if you don't meet the minimum AAA prediction, then you will most probably be rejected via an automated system before consideration (unless you have contextual reasons)
Reply 7
What is 'high'? If you got something ridiculously high like 750 you might still have a chance, but I think even then the A-level cut off is probably just that: a cut-off. I'd imagine 750 UKCAT and abcc at AS is no substitute for 650 UKCAT and aaaa at AS.
Reply 8
Original post by Refrigerator
A friend of mine got into St Georges with a really good UKCAT but really bad AS grades (I think he got a C/D in chemistry), so it's definitely possible. Just make sure you look at the admissions pages for whichever unis you're applying to, and don't apply to any that will throw out your application based on AS and/or A2 predictions.

But don't most Uni's in the UK say you need AAAb minimum? If you know other med schools who do allow my situation, please let me know, my school is pretty rubbish so I'm lucky I got such grades.
Reply 9
Original post by Scott.M
What is 'high'? If you got something ridiculously high like 750 you might still have a chance, but I think even then the A-level cut off is probably just that: a cut-off. I'd imagine 750 UKCAT and abcc at AS is no substitute for 650 UKCAT and aaaa at AS.

High as in 713 average as most cut offs are about the 600 average. So if you did well in the UKCAT but the AS grades weren't so great, like my friend got 3B's and 2C's but we didn't have a chance to do any January modules so everything was in June and there was alot more pressure. I know some schools would still predict you AAB with these grades but my school is really stingy, they actually have a policy about it. That's why I was wondering if you could still apply with not so great predictions :confused::confused::confused:
Strategic application!

Your UKCAT score is very good - look at universities which weight the UKCAT quite heavily, and avoid all medical schools that place significant weight on AS grades

My AS grades were AABCC and my UKCAT was 697.5. That UKCAT was all I needed because my medical school (Newcastle) don't look at AS grades, but they do rank for interview using a UKCAT cut off.

So yes, at the right medical school, your AS grades won't be a hindrance unless they are so poor you cannot achieve AAA grades next year - you and your school/teachers need to work that out

Look at these pages (but always double check eveyrthing by going on the university website yourself -

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Original post by Yunggee
High as in 713 average as most cut offs are about the 600 average. So if you did well in the UKCAT but the AS grades weren't so great, like my friend got 3B's and 2C's but we didn't have a chance to do any January modules so everything was in June and there was alot more pressure. I know some schools would still predict you AAB with these grades but my school is really stingy, they actually have a policy about it. That's why I was wondering if you could still apply with not so great predictions :confused::confused::confused:

If your subject teachers say no, go to anyone else who likes you - head of that department, head of sixth form, form tutor, even head teacher. You'll need evidence of your commitment to medicine to convince them that you really want to do the course and will work hard to get the grades. Also up your game in lessons immediately as evidence that you mean what you say. Another thing is to get your parents to talk to them - schools often listen to parents a lot more.
With your AS grades, you can apply strategically and can still get in. However, without minimum AAA predictions you WILL be rejected. Think about it, why would a med school offer you a place based on grades that even your school don't believe you'll achieve?
Reply 12
Original post by joker12345
If your subject teachers say no, go to anyone else who likes you - head of that department, head of sixth form, form tutor, even head teacher. You'll need evidence of your commitment to medicine to convince them that you really want to do the course and will work hard to get the grades. Also up your game in lessons immediately as evidence that you mean what you say. Another thing is to get your parents to talk to them - schools often listen to parents a lot more.
With your AS grades, you can apply strategically and can still get in. However, without minimum AAA predictions you WILL be rejected. Think about it, why would a med school offer you a place based on grades that even your school don't believe you'll achieve?

Yeah I understand, tbh my school teaching (well my teachers) are really rubbish, alot of them never answer any of your questions, I think the school has this policy because they know we can't achieve any higher with their teaching alone. Yeah guess I'll have to resort to begging but even still pretty much every kid in my school is in the same position :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending