The Student Room Group

Course Grade Entry Requirements 2014

Bristol

GCSE- A wide spread of subjects required at good grades, to include Mathematics, English Language and 2 sciences. Minimum of 6 grade A*/A is normally expected.
A Level- AAA.
BTEC- Diploma at Distinction and A level chemistry alongside at A grade.

Edinburgh

GCSE- not specified via UCAS (may be on the website).
A Level- AAA. Requires chemistry, biology and an approved subject (list on website).

Glasgow

GCSE- not specified.
A-Level: A*AA including Chemistry and Biology and a third subject which is preferably a science subject. Art, Drama, General Studies, Home Economics, Music or PE are not accepted as third subjects. English GCSE at Grade A or B is required.

Liverpool

GCSE- A good range of GCSEs, minimum of 10 points at GCSE (where A*/A = 2 points, B = 1 point, C = 0 points) in at least 7 different subjects, to include a minimum of grade B in English, Mathematics and Physics (or dual science including Physics).
A Level- AAA and B in 1 further AS or A level. Three A levels required including Biology, one other academic science-related subject and any other subject excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. If Chemistry is not offered at A level, grade B at AS level is required. A good range of GCSEs including B in Maths, English and Physics or Duel Science (including Physics).

Nottingham

GCSE- Five subjects at grade A to include Chemistry, Biology and Physics (or science double award). English Language and Mathematics at grade B or above. An A grade in Physics AS level can compensate for grade B at GCSE.
A Level- grade A in chemistry and biology (or human biology) and grade B in a third subject (excluding general studies and critical thinking) at A2 level

Surrey

GCSE- Minimum of 5 GCSE subjects at grade A or above (or equivalent) to include Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Maths and English Language are also required at a minimum of grade B (or equivalent).
A Level- AAB. Four weeks work experience.

RVC

GCSE- Min 5 grade As including grade A in Double Award Science (or in Biology and Chemistry if taken separately) & grade B in English, Maths and Physics (if taken as a separate subject). See RVC website for alt requirements for Extended Diploma students
A Level- AAA-AAB
Also requires BMAT.

Cambridge

GCSE- not stated.
A Level- A*AA
Also requires BMAT.
Im very sceptical about these requirements; only 5As to get into Nottingham? Does anyone know what the realistic requirements for veterinary science are (at GCSE?)
Original post by Shane Webb
Im very sceptical about these requirements; only 5As to get into Nottingham? Does anyone know what the realistic requirements for veterinary science are (at GCSE?)

They are an absolute minimum. To not be rejected automatically you must reach that requirement (unless you have extenuating circumstances)

Realistically - as well as you possibly can :smile:
You see, I am currently doing GCSEs right now an am interested in doing veterinary science, but I am slightly deterred by the entrance requirements, because my school has told me it is very difficult to get in and you need loads of A*s to get in, ect, ect. Is there anybody on here who has done/ is doing veterinary science? If so, what GCSEs did you get?
You see, I am currently doing GCSEs right now an am interested in doing veterinary science, but I am slightly deterred by the entrance requirements, because my school has told me it is very difficult to get in and you need loads of A*s to get in, ect, ect. Is there anybody on here who has done/ is doing veterinary science? If so, what GCSEs did you get?

There's a fair number of us vet students around. I got 5A*'s and 5A's. There are a number of people I know who have 5A's and then a smattering of other grades at Notts with me. Tbh vet schools don't care much about GCSE's, A levels are far more important.

Get the minimum grades and then see :smile:
Reply 5

I'm a 1st year vet student at RVC, at GCSE I only got 1A* 5As and the rest were Bs and Cs. I then got 3 As at A level, your grades at A level and work experience are waaaay more important than GCSEs. As long as you meet the minimum requirements which is 5As for most of the vet schools then you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 6
I am currently in year 12 and interested in veterinary science. I got 5 A's (igcse double science, english lang, spanish, geography) 3 B's (english lit, history, maths), 1 C (art). Are these gcse's not good enough for veterinary science?
Thanks, these guidelines have been very helpful. The problem is my school is very misleading with their careers department. It says in the book they gave us that you need at least 8 A stars to do veterinary medicine (facepalm) and I sort of took it to be true. My predicted GCSEs are 4A*s, 4 As and 2Bs (with a B in maths). Because of the B in maths, I don't feel so confident. My sciences are all As/ A*s
Thanks, these guidelines have been very helpful. The problem is my school is very misleading with their careers department. It says in the book they gave us that you need at least 8 A stars to do veterinary medicine (facepalm) and I sort of took it to be true. My predicted GCSEs are 4A*s, 4 As and 2Bs (with a B in maths). Because of the B in maths, I don't feel so confident. My sciences are all As/ A*s

You'll be fine :smile: Just get the minimum grades :smile:

Career departments are a joke for vet med apps in my experience :tongue:
Hi
Last year (9) I got a b in core science (3 marks off an a) :frown:
How would I do?
I want to do Veterinary Medicine, but unfortunately, I didn't take Chemistry at A-Level selection (I'm currently nearing the end of AS year, exams in 3 months). Nottingham offers that Preliminary year course that means I could still do it, but it looks like the only Uni in the country that offers it! Is there anywhere else?
Presuming that the 3 sciences, maths and English are taken at National 5 level (Scottish GSCE equivalent) does it matter what the other 1 or 2 subjects are? Would it make a difference if one of the other subjects was PE vs a foreign language for example? Do any of the universities look more favourably on an applicant with a foreign language? Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:
Original post by animalmagic
Presuming that the 3 sciences, maths and English are taken at National 5 level (Scottish GSCE equivalent) does it matter what the other 1 or 2 subjects are? Would it make a difference if one of the other subjects was PE vs a foreign language for example? Do any of the universities look more favourably on an applicant with a foreign language? Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:

The universities dont look at your national 5 grades as much as your highers and adv highers! Im currently doing nat 5 chemistry, biology, english, maths, business, modern studies and music! The main subjects are really chemistry biology and maths! For higher im taking biology, chemistry, English, maths and music then physics can be taken in sixth year! I don't think the unis will look more favourably upon certain subjects as long as you have the required ones (chemistry, biology and maths)! Sorry if its a bit long haha! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachelmcl13
The universities dont look at your national 5 grades as much as your highers and adv highers! Im currently doing nat 5 chemistry, biology, english, maths, business, modern studies and music! The main subjects are really chemistry biology and maths! For higher im taking biology, chemistry, English, maths and music then physics can be taken in sixth year! I don't think the unis will look more favourably upon certain subjects as long as you have the required ones (chemistry, biology and maths)! Sorry if its a bit long haha! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, that is really helpful, thanks so much :smile:
Hi guys, I'm really stressing out at the moment so I need your help!
At GCSE my class didn't really get the help they deserved to achieve their full potential so I only ended up with 1 A* and 4 As.. And double science and maths were not any of them, I only got a B in them - 3 marks from an A in science devastatingly enough.
I'm currently studying chemistry, biology, classics and maths however dropping maths next year; I'm hoping to get As next year and possibly Bs this year. Is this going to mess up my chances of getting in? I see that Liverpool seem to be rather understanding with their requirements but all the others require A at GCSE for science.
Do you think they will overlook this if I do as much work experience as possible? Also, does anyone know of anything I can partake in to include in my personal statement to stand out? I am part of Manchester Access Programme and Target Lancaster.
Thanks!
Original post by beth.spary
Hi guys, I'm really stressing out at the moment so I need your help!
At GCSE my class didn't really get the help they deserved to achieve their full potential so I only ended up with 1 A* and 4 As.. And double science and maths were not any of them, I only got a B in them - 3 marks from an A in science devastatingly enough.
I'm currently studying chemistry, biology, classics and maths however dropping maths next year; I'm hoping to get As next year and possibly Bs this year. Is this going to mess up my chances of getting in? I see that Liverpool seem to be rather understanding with their requirements but all the others require A at GCSE for science.
Do you think they will overlook this if I do as much work experience as possible? Also, does anyone know of anything I can partake in to include in my personal statement to stand out? I am part of Manchester Access Programme and Target Lancaster.
Thanks!

Cambridge and Bristol don't require As at GCSE for science
Hey everyone, I've closed this thread now as the info will be out of date - if you've got questions it's best to start a new thread in the forum :h:

Latest