Nissan 300ZX as a first car

Watch
BritBoyWonder
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay i was looking at the chances i have to even get insured on a 300ZX and came across this http://www.classic-car-insurance-exp....uk/607/nissan (I know it is a 3.0l and i dont care about petrol cost) but the thing is i haven't even got my driving license yet but i was planning to get this put my uncles name on it and have it there until i pass..any suggestion on how i should go about doing this?

BritBoyWonder
Rep:
?
BUMP
InconspicuousGuy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's insurance group 18 and I don't think many insurers will be happy about insuring a new driver on a 280 bhp monster of a car.....if you can afford it then thats up to you, but expect to pay big bucks for the privilege

Posted from TSR Mobile
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BritBoyWonder)
Okay i was looking at the chances i have to even get insured on a 300ZX and came across this http://www.classic-car-insurance-exp....uk/607/nissan (I know it is a 3.0l and i dont care about petrol cost) but the thing is i haven't even got my driving license yet but i was planning to get this put my uncles name on it and have it there until i pass..any suggestion on how i should go about doing this?
I don't like the look of that website, seems a bit too 'basic' to be something to do with insurance.

I don't think it is classed as 'classic' is it? My ex partner had one, but the insurance was stupid, and not classic insurance either.

I hated that car. Something in the engine broke and it needed a whole new engine costing just over £1000.
Nunkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it's a good idea to get a powerful twin turbo as your first car, especially since it is rear wheel drive. You could possibly start out with the non turbo, but it's still a big leap, buy an old bmw 318i e30 or something to start out with. You'll also want to have an idea about mechanics if you want to own a 90's performance car like the 300zx.
BritBoyWonder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Knalchemist)
I don't like the look of that website, seems a bit too 'basic' to be something to do with insurance.

I don't think it is classed as 'classic' is it? My ex partner had one, but the insurance was stupid, and not classic insurance either.

I hated that car. Something in the engine broke and it needed a whole new engine costing just over £1000.
:'( damn
BritBoyWonder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nunkey)
I don't think it's a good idea to get a powerful twin turbo as your first car, especially since it is rear wheel drive. You could possibly start out with the non turbo, but it's still a big leap, buy an old bmw 318i e30 or something to start out with. You'll also want to have an idea about mechanics if you want to own a 90's performance car like the 300zx.
I actually though i could get away with that classic insurance ,i mostly looking for Japanese cars any unique recommendations?
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I actually though i could get away with that classic insurance ,i mostly looking for Japanese cars any unique recommendations?
toyota MR2
BritBoyWonder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Camoxide)
toyota MR2
I like this one
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like this one
or an old Toyota Celica GT
both cars can be had for dirt cheap

or a Toyota Supra
fairly rare though
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

or a Toyota Supra
fairly rare though
Celica GT4's are beautiful cars. They're so nice to drive. They're classed as a classic car as well aren't they? I was a member of the Celica car club, so got to drive quite a few different Celica's which was awesome, I always preferred the GT4 and Gen5 over the rest, including the Gen7, although that does have a nice leather interior!
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Celica GT4's are beautiful cars. They're so nice to drive. They're classed as a classic car as well aren't they? I was a member of the Celica car club, so got to drive quite a few different Celica's which was awesome, I always preferred the GT4 and Gen5 over the rest, including the Gen7, although that does have a nice leather interior!
Probably a classic by now. Certainly looks classic rather than just an old car. I really want one haha.
Gen 5 looks the best imo
Gen 6 and gen 7 just look dated and ugly now
BritBoyWonder
Rep:
?

or a Toyota Supra
fairly rare though
Thanks mate!!!!! i will look into these
BritBoyWonder
Rep:
?
Classic car insurance ay
InconspicuousGuy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't get a gt4 unless you know a thing about cars and are able to undertake some of the work yourself....they are called faff's for a reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
BritBoyWonder
Rep:
?
(Original post by InconspicuousGuy)
Don't get a gt4 unless you know a thing about cars and are able to undertake some of the work yourself....they are called faff's for a reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have any recommendations then? (japanese only)
MancStudent098
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here's a recommendation for you: Have some consideration for the other road users you'll inevitably crash into and don't get a high powered Japanese sportscar as your first car.
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably a classic by now. Certainly looks classic rather than just an old car. I really want one haha.
Gen 5 looks the best imo
Gen 6 and gen 7 just look dated and ugly now
The Gen5 always looked the best. The 6 looked odd, like the front want too long haha. 7 was nice interior wise, but it looked too sporty, like they tried making it look like a lambo or something haha. I want a 5, but I know coming across a 'decent' one can be difficult. Plus they are a 1.8+ I believe.. I couldn't never afford to run one... until now, that I'm 25. haha.
DotDotCurve
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
iirc you have to be either 21 or 25 depending on insurance company to get classic car insurance.

Do you tick this box?
InconspicuousGuy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the most important things to ask is what is it you want most about the car? Hatch, coupe, saloon? Speed vs handling? How old are you? What kind of budget do you have (both purchasing and insuring to be considered here)? Will it be a daily driver (so do you need decent fuel economy/reliability)?

The reason fr considering stuff like this is that there are a lot of jap cars and will help narrow it down...no point suggesting a hatchback if you want a saloon etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.09%
I'm not sure (59)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.8%
I'm not a current university student (651)
49.32%

Watched Threads