Are private tutors worth it?

Watch
livealittle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm considering getting a private tutor ,I feel I could use the extra help but I'm on 2 minds about it.
What do you guys think about tutors? And when is the best time to get a tutor?Throughout the school year or a few months before exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

natashaaarr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oo I would like to know this too... *lurk*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Satty94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you do decide to get a tutor the best thing is to get one at the beginning of the academic year if it is for as-levels or A-levels or higher... For gcse's you could get one later on; even a few months before your exams. I personally had a tutor for as-levels and think it was worth it but that was because of the poor quality of my teachers at sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't say its worth it unless you find that you're struggling and need extra help. Otherwise you could just spend that time revising by yourself and taking in pretty much the same amount of information.
AwkwardLemur
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a private tutor for maths as I felt the teaching in school for Statistics was quite rushed and I didn't understand a lot of the concepts. I paid for a tutor to focus on Statistics and ended up getting 100/100 in the S1 exam so it was definitely worth it!

I only got the tutor about 2/3 months before the exam and that worked well, I guess having one from the start of the year would be nice but it is very expensive!
Hippokrates
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you can afford it then go for it, if you are struggling to pay for it only get one if really need one.
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes if you are a struggling student, with low grades, and want to improve them.

It will not be very useful for students getting A/A*s
livealittle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satty94)
If you do decide to get a tutor the best thing is to get one at the beginning of the academic year if it is for as-levels or A-levels or higher... For gcse's you could get one later on; even a few months before your exams. I personally had a tutor for as-levels and think it was worth it but that was because of the poor quality of my teachers at sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im going to y13.Teachers at my school rush through everything ,sometimes I find it hard to keep up.I overheard a teachers conversation and one was saying "we need to have finished unit 4&5 by February half term" *dies*

Posted from TSR Mobile
livealittle
Rep:
?
(Original post by AwkwardLemur)
I got a private tutor for maths as I felt the teaching in school for Statistics was quite rushed and I didn't understand a lot of the concepts. I paid for a tutor to focus on Statistics and ended up getting 100/100 in the S1 exam so it was definitely worth it!

I only got the tutor about 2/3 months before the exam and that worked well, I guess having one from the start of the year would be nice but it is very expensive!
I know they're soo expensive.Ive been looking at some around my area &they start from £15 p/h to £40 p/h .I don't even know how I'm going to afford one.my parents think tutors are a waste of money :| they don't understand how hard Alevel is .
Is 1 hour a week enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
alygirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hit and miss really. They can give personalised attention and help you focus on your weak points, whereas in class a teacher has to go by the general consensus, and so the class's weak points. They also can provide extra material to help consolidate your learning and be there for you for any extra questions you may have and support which you're hesitant asking in school.
Money's an issue, but if you feel you need extra support, it could be seen as a beneficial investment. Generally good to go to a tutor in your area which is locally renowned and has a good success rate.
hslakaal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by livealittle)
I know they're soo expensive.Ive been looking at some around my area &they start from £15 p/h to £40 p/h .I don't even know how I'm going to afford one.my parents think tutors are a waste of money :| they don't understand how hard Alevel is .
Is 1 hour a week enough?
I part time-d as a tutor, and honestly, it really depends on how good of a student you are, as well as the reasons behind any low grades.
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you find a good tutor then it will be worth it in the short term in terms of understanding the subject and better grades. Thinking about it, the problem with tutors is that they prop up students who are struggling and it distorts their academic ability*.

I think it's beneficial if you're not getting the help from your teachers. However, it would be more rewarding to do it by yourself

*grades aren't at all reflective of intelligence, but it is cheating a bit to get a tutor. Especially private tuition into grammar schools.
AwkwardLemur
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is 1 hour a week enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got mine for 1 hour a week and it was plenty, but I just used mine to go through past papers close to exam time to go over method in answering exam questions etc.
Eskyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't understand why they're so expensive? I mean I've checked websites and there are about 7 close to me, and the ones that actually seem respectable and not weird scams are £30/hour? Like; why? I mean, I genuinely don't understand who decided that it should be that high, especially when not many people I know can afford £30/hour even for 1 hour/week. Do you get a job solely to pay for the tutoring? I mean if you're going to get A's because of it then I can understand it's worth it, I'm just not understanding how it can be that expensive.
livealittle
Rep:
?
(Original post by AwkwardLemur)
I just got mine for 1 hour a week and it was plenty, but I just used mine to go through past papers close to exam time to go over method in answering exam questions etc.
That's exactly what I need.
There's a tutor who's a teacher and an examiner I need her!!:'( but shes too expensive.I've only just realised how important exam technique is

Posted from TSR Mobile
livealittle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eskyy)
I don't understand why they're so expensive? I mean I've checked websites and there are about 7 close to me, and the ones that actually seem respectable and not weird scams are £30/hour? Like; why? I mean, I genuinely don't understand who decided that it should be that high, especially when not many people I know can afford £30/hour even for 1 hour/week. Do you get a job solely to pay for the tutoring? I mean if you're going to get A's because of it then I can understand it's worth it, I'm just not understanding how it can be that expensive.
Hahaha!.Education is expensive.
I can't get a job till i finish sixth form,my parents think its going to take most of my time

Posted from TSR Mobile
PythianLegume
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
x
Have you considered asking teachers at school to set you up with a high-achieving student in the year above? It's at least worth a try because you'll be getting free, or very cheap, tutoring (of course they won't be as good as a professional tutor, but you said you have trouble affording one).
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
If you find a good tutor then it will be worth it in the short term in terms of understanding the subject and better grades. Thinking about it, the problem with tutors is that they prop up students who are struggling and it distorts their academic ability*.

I think it's beneficial if you're not getting the help from your teachers. However, it would be more rewarding to do it by yourself

*grades aren't at all reflective of intelligence, but it is cheating a bit to get a tutor. Especially private tuition into grammar schools.
Why is it cheating?

People generally get tutors because they care enough about their education to spend £so&so amount for one.

They are trying to excel in their ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Naami
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had a tutor for AS maths after failing it first time round. Got him at the beginning of the school year and did between 2-3 hours a week with him. He was a really nice guy; at first he charged £15 an hour but dropped it to £10 since he knew I was paying it with my own money. He was very good at teaching the fundamentals and didn't just teach a method but taught why we use this in maths etc. Came out with a very high A (got E the year before that), and now, a year later we still text each other once in a while! Only wish I could've paid him a bit more or got a present for him as he was always patient with me and went the extra mile. I also enjoyed our little debates/conversation.
livealittle
Rep:
?
(Original post by PythianLegume)
Have you considered asking teachers at school to set you up with a high-achieving student in the year above? It's at least worth a try because you'll be getting free, or very cheap, tutoring (of course they won't be as good as a professional tutor, but you said you have trouble affording one).
I'm going to y13 :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.28%
I'm not sure (8)
2.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.22%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (137)
45.51%

Watched Threads