The Student Room Group

Are private tutors worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by livealittle
I'm going to y13 :|

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, yes, that would be a problem with my plan.
Original post by Olympiad
Why is it cheating?

People generally get tutors because they care enough about their education to spend £so&so amount for one.

They are trying to excel in their ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's seen as cheating because you're getting an advantage over other people not through your own hard work or ability, but your parents money. Hence, if exams are meant to identify the most able students, then tutoring would give you unfairly high results. Of course, if exams are just about proving a requisite level of knowledge, then there's nothing wrong with tutoring.
Reply 22
Private tutors can be helpful if you have inadequate teachers at school and do not understand something.
Reply 23
OP for what subject?
Reply 24
Original post by Olympiad
Why is it cheating?

People generally get tutors because they care enough about their education to spend £so&so amount for one.

They are trying to excel in their ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get that and they can do so, but it distorts their natural ability, they can't say that they got those grades by themselves. It depends by how much if it's just to deepen their understanding and spend extra time/learn from someone else, that's okay. But if it's because they're unintelligent it's only a matter of time before they become dependent on it.
Reply 25
Original post by krisshP
OP for what subject?

Maths!.
I like maths & I get maths.I don't know how I got what i got (D) AS.My teacher predicted me an A,don't know how I'm going to face her when we go back to school :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by PythianLegume
Ah, yes, that would be a problem with my plan.

Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Maths!.
I like maths & I get maths.I don't know how I got what i got (D) AS.My teacher predicted me an A,don't know how I'm going to face her when we go back to school :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

But for Maths you have amazing resources, here
http://www.examsolutions.net/
http://www.khanacademy.org/
http://www.m4ths.com/index.php?p=1_6_V-links
http://patrickjmt.com/

Do ALL past papers and yo need to actually understand the content. Examsolutions is so amazing for math I can't see a point in a tutor, it's just a case of practising a LOT and understanding. The clear and concise videos from Examsolutions help you understand things well, try it.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by PythianLegume
I think it's seen as cheating because you're getting an advantage over other people not through your own hard work or ability, but your parents money. Hence, if exams are meant to identify the most able students, then tutoring would give you unfairly high results. Of course, if exams are just about proving a requisite level of knowledge, then there's nothing wrong with tutoring.

I don't think its cheating because you are putting in the work yourself at your own time.
As somebody on this post mentioned ,tutoring is a hit or miss.If u don't put in the work yourself then don't expect much from your results.
A friend of mine had a biology tutor from September to just before Jan exams .She never did the homework set &used to hate it.March came and she got a U.No lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by krisshP
But for Maths you have amazing resources, here
http://www.examsolutions.net/
http://www.khanacademy.org/
http://www.m4ths.com/index.php?p=1_6_V-links
http://patrickjmt.com/

Do ALL past papers and yo need to actually understand the content. Examsolutions is so amazing for math I can't see a point in a tutor, it's just a case of practising a LOT and understanding. The clear and concise videos from Examsolutions help you understand things well, try it.

Good luck :smile:

Thankyou:biggrin: .I think I need that extra one-one attention !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Thankyou:biggrin: .I think I need that extra one-one attention !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, BTW if you are stuck you can use TSR. So are you going to get the tutor?

Forgot to mention, there's MyMaths as well for you:smile:
I'm considering getting a private tutor ,I feel I could use the extra help but I'm on 2 minds about it.
What do you guys think about tutors? And when is the best time to get a tutor?Throughout the school year or a few months before exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a tutor for French and it massively helped. I recommend getting a tutor as soon as possible. I think I got my tutor in the 4th week of September and saw them right up until my French exam which was in mid-June. Obviosuly you need to still put the work in but it's defnitely worth it. Speak to your teachers, they should be able to help :smile:
Reply 32
I'd say that getting a tutor is a really good idea if you feel you need one. I got a maths tutor this year after getting a big shock at the start of AS. It's vital that you make the most of it though, at the start we didn't have much of a plan and I probably didn't get my money's worth. :colondollar:
Thereafter, I spoke to my tutor beforehand to say we're doing 'this, this & this' then we wouldn't get off track and he could prepare material for the lesson.

Original post by Nick Latham
... I would advise against long-term tuition simply because you need to revise yourself and not depend on a tutor to 'save' you. You need to generate your own revision material and you need to prepare yourself for future exams...

I really agree with Nick that you can't rely on a tutor too much. I needed support with learning the topics and confidence building but all the doing past papers/practising/general revision slog I did myself. :smile:

I've met people who've talked down getting tuition as failing before you start but imo it's just helping you reach your full potential and giving you more confidence to work alone later. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by krisshP
Oh, BTW if you are stuck you can use TSR. So are you going to get the tutor?

Forgot to mention, there's MyMaths as well for you:smile:

I don't know.I talked to my mum &brother about it.And they don't seem convinced :/ but the mother is going to break the news to the commander in chief aka Dad:biggrin: I pray he agrees *fingers crossed*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
I have had a tutor for the past 2 years, he's really good! plus it's a bonus considering he supplies me with past papers etc. and gives me a heads up on what sort of questions to work on more, whereas class teachers can't have one to one conversations with you all the time about your work and forget about the 29 odd students in the room. I'd say it's worth it. :smile:
Reply 35
I had a biology tutor for my resit exam went up from a C/B to a high A. Wish I had him sooner because by then I could only get a B overall :/

It all depends though, on the quality of the teacher and the tutor. My bio teacher was absolutely appalling, I didn't learn a thing. Whereas my tutor was soo good. He wouldn't move on from a topic until he knows you really understand it.
I struggled with maths so I remember having 2 tutors just to get a C.
Reply 37
Original post by Ripper-Roo
I get that and they can do so, but it distorts their natural ability, they can't say that they got those grades by themselves. It depends by how much if it's just to deepen their understanding and spend extra time/learn from someone else, that's okay. But if it's because they're unintelligent it's only a matter of time before they become dependent on it.

Is it fair that some schools have excellent teachers and some have appalling ones?

My biology teachers were the worst teachers I ever had. Their pass rate was ridiculous. People who were getting As in physics and chemistry were struggling to get Bs. Until I had a tutor I actually self taught myself the course as did everyone else. And by the end of the year half of the class were paying for a tutor, and this is certainly not a wealthy school where having a tutor is common.
The tutors provided us what the teachers failed to, decent teaching.

If you say that tutoring is not fair, then neither is teaching full stop because there is massive variability in the quality of education across all schools.
Hey guys,

Any good, recommended, tuition websites?

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
a lot of people are doing private tutoring through skype. you should look in to it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending