The Student Room Group

A2 English Language investigation

Hi, for A2 English Language we have a piece of coursework that wants us to 'investigate language'. I want to investigate language concerning sport. I really want to investigate language in football commentary, so thought of investigating power in this field. Comparing perhaps the same two commentators in different matches and see who is the more powerful. For example: John Motson alongside Andy Townsend in a range of football matches. However, from my research I can only find for example, on Match of the Day, that there is only one commentator per match, meaning there is no one to compare them to. Then on BBC 5 live, I cant find two commentaries by the same two people where they are together covering the same match. So please any ideas how I can collect my evidence OR any other sport related language investigations, thank You:smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Inspired100
Hi, for A2 English Language we have a piece of coursework that wants us to 'investigate language'. I want to investigate language concerning sport. I really want to investigate language in football commentary, so thought of investigating power in this field. Comparing perhaps the same two commentators in different matches and see who is the more powerful. For example: John Motson alongside Andy Townsend in a range of football matches. However, from my research I can only find for example, on Match of the Day, that there is only one commentator per match, meaning there is no one to compare them to. Then on BBC 5 live, I cant find two commentaries by the same two people where they are together covering the same match. So please any ideas how I can collect my evidence OR any other sport related language investigations, thank You:smile:

Listen to the radio instead? Football commentary is a hard one! What about Tennis? Someone of the commentary just seems to be unnecessary (like most) but you have the really good ones! But they normally just talk about careers, stats and moves and etc.

You should investigate power in some other field other than sports because they have to be quite careful on what they say, so power might be something you should reconsider or choose a different topic.
Reply 3
"Text B is from the BBC1 television commentary on the football FA Cup Final, played at Wembley
stadium on 17 May 2008, between Cardiff City (from the Championship) and Portsmouth (from
the Premier League). The match was won 1 0 by Portsmouth. The winning goal was scored by
N****wo Kanu in the 37th minute of the first half. This extract begins just before the goal was
scored.
The commentators are John Motson and Mark Lawrenson."

TEXT B
J: John Motson M: Mark Lawrenson
M: yeah that was a nice little ball too played by Muntari just slipped it round the corner to
Kanu (.) Kanu’s given offside isn’t he? (3.0)
J: just about
M: yeah (.) still off though innit? (4.0)
J: yes {both laugh} (17.0) Sol Campbell (3.0) here comes Distin (2.0) they haven’t done much
wrong as a partnership (.) for Portsmouth (3.0) and So. Glen Johnson follows up here and again
he’s penalised (.) pushing (13.0)
M: Pompey supporters are not happy with the referee are they? (.) they don’t think he’s given them
any decisions (1.0) I think he’s done quite well actually
J: I do (.) and he deserves the appointment Mike Dean cos he was appointed to do the final if you
remember two years ago until (1.0) Liverpool got there and (.) on geographical grounds he was
replaced (2.0)
M: used to play the Sunday League in the Wirral with Ray Stubbs would you believe (.) he’s played
to see that you know (3.0)
J: this is Diarra (2.0) and here’s Utaka (8.0) oh and (.) oh Kanu’s there (3.0) but no (2.0) is it
given? (1.0) assistant referee stands where he is(1.0) Mike Dean walks away (3.0) and Kanu and
Portsmouth think they’ve taken the lead (1.0)
M: well they have haven’t they I mean (.) it’s it’s a (1.0) brilliantly whipped in cross and (.)
Enckelman again punches it away but (.) Kanu is so close a fantastic reaction by Kanu (7.0)
[Replays start here]
J: just watch the assistant referee when the ball goes in (.) I think he stopsfor a moment (.) anyway
it’s a goal (4.0)
M: no there’s no argument about that (1.0) that’s a lovely whipped in cross by Utaka (.) comes off
Enckelman he’s very very quick Kanu (.)
J: well Kanu who scored the winner here against West Brom in the semi-final (.) opens the scoring
in the final (.) little bit of a (.) fumble by Enckelman but Kanu as you say is so quick to get his
foot in there (3.0) ahead of er (.) Roger Johnson (1.0)
[Replays end here]
M: I think maybe John the referee’s assistant might have thought (.) suspicion of hand ball
when he looked at it // but it (.) // it definitely wasn’t (.)
J: // yeah // no (.) but interestingly in the semifinal of course there was a hand ball on the goal // by // Baros
M: // sure// sure
J: so (.) huh (.) there you go // Glen Jo. //
M: // he reacted // so quickly Kanu (.) I think the (.) I think the ref’s
assistant thought (.) did he handle yes (.)
J: Glen Johnson here (9.0) so thirty seven minutes (.) the goal timed (.) Portsmouth on top
now (2.0) Kanu (.) who got two winner’s medals with Arsenal (.) gives the Premier League side
the edge (.)

Just watch a game of football and write down what they say...
Reply 4
Lol at the fact it automatically inserted asterisks in Kanu's name...
Reply 5
I'm also currently thinking of ideas for this, and I want to do it football-related too! I'll keep an eye on this thread and let you know if I think of anything good!
Reply 6
Language of Sport - Adrian Beard is an okay book to use for a concept/theorist.

Keep on top of this piece of coursework too, otherwise it becomes a very difficult struggle.

Own experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending