The ultimate tip for Oxbridge Triumph Watch

This discussion is closed.
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by scanner)
Agreed - definitely an advantage to do them and I'm sure they can play that backup role. Never heard of anyone at Oxford getting an offer conditional on an AEA - if it happens it's very rare.
Would strongly second that... a student at my school just pipped one grade (not in her main subject though) but, because she had done AEA in her main subject and got a distinction, they decided to accept her .. presumably over someone else who was in the same position but without the AEA. It is only really designed for people who are likely to get an A in their main subject.
You certainly don't have to put it on your UCAS form, as many schools don't decide until the summer entry time (ie March).
meepmeep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
LoL...urm thank you for your excellent advise, but having made these decisions I've had to consider all of your arguements.
I've worked through STEP 1 papers, STEP 2 papers, STEP 3 papers and AEA papers. I've found there is little between STEP 1 and STEP 2 - the biggest jump was between STEP 2 and STEP 3. Although STEP offer the choice of answering pure, stats or mechanics, I only ever answer Pure questions because my pure is alot stronger - and I've covered everyhting I need in pure for all STEPs so that does limit the number of questions in the pure section I need to cover. Therefore, there's no reason why I should limit myself to just STEP 1. Although STEP questions are possible, they've taken me a while sometimes to get my head around and I can't afford to do this in the exam which is why I've decided to take AEA. The questions are worded so that you can understand what exactly they are asking you because the layout is very similar to that of an A level paper. I don't think Oxford, Cambridge or any other univeristy is going to look at my application and put me at a disadvantage for taking AEA as aposed to STEP and therefore I'm taking the exam I feel most happy with.
As in response to your Cambridge/Oxford choice - I've realised there is so much more to take into account when chosing between the two when it comes to applying for maths. Yes, Cambridge boasts an outstanding reputation for maths, but its not the only university to - infact Bath offends exceeds Cambridge's maths department according to some league tables. There are huge differences between the two universities and I should not be swayed to Cambridge solely on the basis that it has the reputation. As for an Oxford degree "not being as respected as much" - ?! you tell me an employer whose going to get picky about the fact that someone has an Oxford degree and not a Cambridge. please do enlighten me. And its completely dependent on what career you want to go onto in the future. Preferably I would want to study and then teach at the same university I do my maths degree at - I hardly think that if this happens to be Oxford, they are going to prejudice my teaching application if I had a degree from them.
If you apply to Cambridge for maths, most offers are conditional on STEP, so you can't really avoid them I'm afraid. However, if you keep doing three or four questions a week (especially if you're still in Year 12), then you will get better at them as many of the tactics used in certain questions can be taken and used in other questions.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cofactor)
if you want to impress the admission tutor take some AEA exam or STEP instead of doing more A-levels.

this is the ultimate tip for ppl applying to Oxbridge.
WEll id AEAs are anything like the 'special papers' of the old A level system then you take them after you've already applied and been interviewed for university. In which case they are pointless.
There are much better ways tom improve your chances, naemly work experience, and having a life outside of school
J
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't know of any people who took AEAs (that's not to say there aren't any, I just don't know that they did). I certainly didn't. If you're good enough, they'll have you. Easy.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I don't know of any people who took AEAs (that's not to say there aren't any, I just don't know that they did). I certainly didn't. If you're good enough, they'll have you. Easy.
True. I find people sometimes get overly obsessed with getting into Oxbridge. For gods sake, your going to get a good job at any top uni even if you get rejected by Oxbridge. Its not the most important thing in life...mr Jamierwilliams...
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
True. I find people sometimes get overly obsessed with getting into Oxbridge. For gods sake, your going to get a good job at any top uni even if you get rejected by Oxbridge. Its not the most important thing in life...mr Jamierwilliams...
Yep, I'm so glad I didn't find this forum before I applied to uni! I'd have been a total wreck. Mind you, at the time I was just desperate to get into Medicine, anywhere - Cambridge was a bonus
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yep, I'm so glad I didn't find this forum before I applied to uni! I'd have been a total wreck. Mind you, at the time I was just desperate to get into Medicine, anywhere - Cambridge was a bonus

What do you want to be, a GP?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What do you want to be, a GP?
:eek: Noooooo! I don't have the patience. At the moment I really fancy Emergency department work - I did work experience there and it was great. Possibly surgery, but I'm not sure if I have the fine co-ordination. And I'm kinda intrigued by forensic pathology :eek: although I suppose that the reality is not like Silent Witness/Patricia Cornwell books!
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
:eek: Noooooo! I don't have the patience. At the moment I really fancy Emergency department work - I did work experience there and it was great. Possibly surgery, but I'm not sure if I have the fine co-ordination. And I'm kinda intrigued by forensic pathology :eek: although I suppose that the reality is not like Silent Witness/Patricia Cornwell books!
Most of that means nothing to me

My family isnt really a doctor family. Although my cousin who I never see is at Cambridge now doing medicine. We are engineers by trade in the most.

My dads best friend is a funeral director. He makes a packet if that helps Although I would have thought a patholosgists would work for the NHS so wouldnt take huge profits?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Most of that means nothing to me

My family isnt really a doctor family. Although my cousin who I never see is at Cambridge now doing medicine. We are engineers by trade in the most.

My dads best friend is a funeral director. He makes a packet if that helps Although I would have thought a patholosgists would work for the NHS so wouldnt take huge profits?
Funeral director is slightly different from a pathologist! Forensics involves examining bodies who have not died of natural causes, or bodies of old people who have died without having seen a GP recently. The books and the TV shows are about all the interesting cases, if somewhat gruesome, and I find them fascinating. Yes, you would probably work for the NHS but the salary would still be pretty healthy, and mostly you wouldn't have to do shifts - autopsies can wait!

No-one else in my family is a doctor, apart from my cousin, who is a year older than me and in her 3rd year at Cardiff. It's just something I've always wanted.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Funeral director is slightly different from a pathologist! Forensics involves examining bodies who have not died of natural causes, or bodies of old people who have died without having seen a GP recently. The books and the TV shows are about all the interesting cases, if somewhat gruesome, and I find them fascinating. Yes, you would probably work for the NHS but the salary would still be pretty healthy, and mostly you wouldn't have to do shifts - autopsies can wait!

No-one else in my family is a doctor, apart from my cousin, who is a year older than me and in her 3rd year at Cardiff. It's just something I've always wanted.
I just dont like the idea of working for a state run thing like the NHS. My mum is a teacher and is paid peanuts. Uh, its a bit creepy to me, i've heard a lot of stories about dead bodies and all the disgusting things that goes with them, so rather you than me
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was interested that at the Oxbridge Conference the tutors pretty much advised against Critical Thinking.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
I was interested that at the Oxbridge Conference the tutors pretty much advised against Critical Thinking.
Thats interesting. I guess its like General Studies. Pretty useless.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I just dont like the idea of working for a state run thing like the NHS. My mum is a teacher and is paid peanuts. Uh, its a bit creepy to me, i've heard a lot of stories about dead bodies and all the disgusting things that goes with them, so rather you than me
Yeah, the amount of bureaucracy (sp?) in the NHS is stupid, but it's what I'll have to put up with to do it.

I think that post mortems will probably be worse than our current dissection, but I think I'd like to have a go anyway, just to see what it's like. They're not that disgusting when you consider that everyone's the same really.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago

i thought about forensic pathology.
one word though put me off....histology. lots of it
J
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
What were their reasons for advising against it? I sort of agree because it seems that quite a few of the tests they set during the admission procedure require critical thinking skills. The whole point of the tests is to create an even playing field (i.e. to distinguish between candidates irrelevant of their type of school/level of teaching etc.) and studying critical thinking defeats the point.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, the amount of bureaucracy (sp?) in the NHS is stupid, but it's what I'll have to put up with to do it.

I think that post mortems will probably be worse than our current dissection, but I think I'd like to have a go anyway, just to see what it's like. They're not that disgusting when you consider that everyone's the same really.

It was a couple of months ago when my friends dad got a true 'fridge' in. Apparently she didnt fit on the table and they needed a mini fort lift truck to get her on it.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
i thought about forensic pathology.
one word though put me off....histology. lots of it
J
Is there? Oh. Bugger.

Is the Histology exam as bad as everyone says? Some of my friends have gone up to Cambridge to work in the Histology labs now - I can't cos they're using my bloody room for conferences.

Joey - that's a kinda gross story! Not pretty! That's the sort of thing that puts you off. That and when they haven't been found for a few weeks...
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is there? Oh. Bugger.

Is the Histology exam as bad as everyone says? Some of my friends have gone up to Cambridge to work in the Histology labs now - I can't cos they're using my bloody room for conferences.

Joey - that's a kinda gross story! Not pretty! That's the sort of thing that puts you off. That and when they haven't been found for a few weeks...

Yes, there are stories like that I get from my dads friend in the pub all the time. Thats why I said rather you than me

One of the most amusing stories was when a rival funeral director was leading a procession through a graveyard. You can imagine the family behind him, all in tears etc. All of a sudden the funeral director stopped and stared at a gravestone for 20 secs, pointed at the gravestone and then proclaimed 'She didnt pay'. Its rather sick, but I found it funny all the same, IMO you have to laugh about death as it all gets us.
*LoL*
Report 15 years ago
Yes, there are stories like that I get from my dads friend in the pub all the time. Thats why I said rather you than me

One of the most amusing stories was when a rival funeral director was leading a procession through a graveyard. You can imagine the family behind him, all in tears etc. All of a sudden the funeral director stopped and stared at a gravestone for 20 secs, pointed at the gravestone and then proclaimed 'She didnt pay'. Its rather sick, but I found it funny all the same, IMO you have to laugh about death as it all gets us.
i've found u have a sick sense of humour. do u Bs in the same way in real life? if u do :eek:
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads