The Student Room Group

Self teaching FP1; finding other solution in given interval

I actually forgot this :colondollar:

Anyway, say theta=cos^-1 (1/2) =60 degrees

For interval -180<theta<180 the other solution is -60 degrees.. How and why again? I forgot..

If it was say sin^-1 (1/2)= 30 degrees what would the other solution be in the same interval?

And finally, in radians, x=sin^-1 (1/(sqrt2))= PI/4. Why is the other solution 3PI/4 in the interval -PI<theta<PI?

Thanks in advance all

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MSI_10

For interval -180<theta<180 the other solution is -60 degrees.. How and why again? I forgot..

If it was say sin^-1 (1/2)= 30 degrees what would the other solution be in the same interval?

And finally, in radians, x=sin^-1 (1/(sqrt2))= PI/4. Why is the other solution 3PI/4 in the interval -PI<theta<PI?

Thanks in advance all

Do you know what a CAST diagram is? I think you should have done this in C2
Or you could draw a sin/cos graph to help you.

For the cos^-1 (1/2)= 60, you could draw a cosine graph and from 1/2 on the y-axis draw a straight line, and where the line touches the graph are your solutions. The first solution is 60 that you got from your calculator so you should be able to find the others in the given range using this method.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Vorsah
Do you know what a CAST diagram is? I think you should have done this in C2
Or you could draw a sin/cos graph to help you.

For the cos^-1 (1/2)= 60, you could draw a cosine graph and from 1/2 on the y-axis draw a straight line, and where the line touches the graph are your solutions. The first solution is 60 that you got from your calculator so you should be able to find the others in the given range using this method.

During 0 to 90 degrees COS is positive, 90 to 180 All are positive, 180 to 270 SIN is positive 270-360 TAN is positive, 360-450 COS is positive and so on etc?

Is there a quicker way to find these apart from drawing graphs?
Original post by MSI_10
During 0 to 90 degrees COS is positive, 90 to 180 All are positive, 180 to 270 SIN is positive 270-360 TAN is positive, 360-450 COS is positive and so on etc?

You don't need to know this CAST rubbish or draw graphs.

cosx=cos(x)\cos x = \cos (-x)

cosx=cos(x±360)\cos x = \cos (x \pm 360)

sinx=sin(180x)\sin x = \sin (180-x)

sinx=sin(x±360)\sin x = \sin (x \pm 360)

tanx=tan(x±180)\tan x = \tan(x \pm 180)
Reply 4
Original post by MSI_10

0 to 90 degrees ALL are positive
90 to 180 only SIN is positive
180 to 270 only TAN is positive
270 to 360 only COS is positive.

The reason x=60 and x=-60 when cos(x)=1/2 is because cos is symmetrical about x=0. Draw a cos graph, and extend it to include -360<x<360.

Sin, however, isn't symmetrical and so the 2 solutions for sin(x)=1/2 are x=30 and x=150.

The other solution is 3pi/4 because of what I said before, Sin is not symmetrical and so the only positive values between -pi<x<pi are those in the range 0<x<pi so only positive values are found.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M

Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers Mr M
Reply 6
That's a nice way to get the answer, but it would be good to know other techniques as well, in case you forget one of the formulas in an exam.
Reply 7
Original post by MSI_10
Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers Mr M

Although he did miss cos(x)=360-x
Original post by tomtjl
Although he did miss cos(x)=360-x

Are you sure?!
Reply 9
Of course.
cosx.gif

For example, if x = 60 degrees, then x = 300 degrees. For proof, see graph :smile:.
Original post by MSI_10

Thanks in advance all

Simple way
For Sin, if you have Sin(x), the other solution is Sin(180-X) so if X = 20, it'll also = 160

For Cos, if you have Cos(X), the other solution is Cos(360-X) so if you have X = 20, it'll also = 340

And you know Sin and Cos cycle every 360° , if the limits are below 0 or above 360 you just subtract or add 360 to your two solutions!

So if limit is -360 to 720
For Sin30 it'll also = Sin(180-30) and then Subtract or add 360 to get the rest of the solutions till you hit your limit!

Inbox me if you need more help!

Hope that helped! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HelpTheInnocent
Simple way
For Sin, if you have Sin(x), the other solution is Sin(180-X) so if X = 20, it'll also = 160

For Cos, if you have Cos(X), the other solution is Cos(360-X) so if you have X = 20, it'll also = 340

And you know Sin and Cos cycle every 360° , if the limits are below 0 or above 360 you just subtract or add 360 to your two solutions!

So if limit is -360 to 720
For Sin30 it'll also = Sin(180-30) and then Subtract or add 360 to get the rest of the solutions till you hit your limit!

Inbox me if you need more help!

Hope that helped! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol @ the person who negged me, just because you don't do FP1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl
Of course.
cosx.gif

For example, if x = 60 degrees, then x = 300 degrees. For proof, see graph :smile:.

Oh dear

He meant - are you sure that he missed it
Original post by TenOfThem
Oh dear

He meant - are you sure that he missed it

I did mean that but I was also questioning the validity of his statement that cos x = 360 - x. Double whammy.
Original post by Mr M
I did mean that but I was also questioning the validity of his statement that cos x = 360 - x. Double whammy.

LoL

I did not even see that
Reply 15
Original post by Mr M

Ah, well sorry for that :tongue:.

Well, you did miss it. And yes, cos(x) = 360 - x. This is one of the first laws you learn, during C2. Here's the proof:
Cos(360-x) = Cos(360)Cos(x) + Sin(360)Sin(x)
Cos(360-x) = (1)Cos(x) + (0)Sin(x)
Cos(360-x) = Cos(x)

Plus, like I said, you can easily see it using the Cos(x) graph.
Original post by tomtjl
Well, you did miss it. And yes, cos(x) = 360 - x.

No and no. There's none so blind as those who will not see.
Reply 17
Original post by tomtjl
Ah, well sorry for that :tongue:.

Well, you did miss it. And yes, cos(x) = 360 - x. This is one of the first laws you learn, during C2. Here's the proof:
Cos(360-x) = Cos(360)Cos(x) + Sin(360)Sin(x)
Cos(360-x) = (1)Cos(x) + (0)Sin(x)
Cos(360-x) = Cos(x)

Plus, like I said, you can easily see it using the Cos(x) graph.

Let x=40

Type cos(40) into your calculator, and then tell me what the answer is. Then do 360-40 and tell me what the answer is.

The cosine graph has the range -1 to 1 (inclusive), so your statement suggests you can't take the cosine of any number less than 359 or greater than 361.

I think you mean cos(x)=cos(360-x), which Mr M stated earlier.

Btw, your "proof" is wrong, take a look at what you're trying to prove and what you do prove-to help you I've made a few things bold.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Mr M

This is all that was posted, there is clearly no formula for Cos(x)=Cos(360-x) (Which is what I meant when I said Cos(x)=360-x, sorry for not typing that up correctly).
Reply 19
Original post by tomtjl
This is all that was posted, there is clearly no formula for Cos(x)=Cos(360-x) (Which is what I meant when I said Cos(x)=360-x, sorry for not typing that up correctly).

Original post by Mr M

cosx=cos(x±360)\cos x = \cos (x \pm 360) (LOOK AT ME)

Erm... there is. Are you familiar with the plus or minus notation?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest