The Student Room Group

Can you ride a motorcycle with a suit?

(by suit I mean blazer, tie, smart trousers etc.)

Basically I live the perfect distance from school for driving (or riding a motorcycle) and it's cheaper to do so than catch the bus (even with a student fare card). I was just wondering, because for sixth for we have to wear suits, if anyone has any experience with riding a motorcycle in a suit? Would you wear full motorcycle gear over it or everything but trousers or any other combination?

Scroll to see replies

You are not going to want to have an accident whilst wearing a suit (well, you don't want to have one at all, but you get my meaning)... It would offer no protection against skidding and you'd end up with some very nasty cuts at the very least.
Reply 2
A motorcycle, or a moped? Lots of people I knew came to sixth form on a moped and the guys had to wear suits at my sixth form. A motorbike however, you have to wear leathers. They should make it a law, you just have to go on the Internet to read articles and stories about people who haven't worn leathers...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
In terms of practicality, you could just chuck the blazer in your school bag/a top or side box if you have one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by LouiseOrd
A motorcycle, or a moped? Lots of people I knew came to sixth form on a moped and the guys had to wear suits at my sixth form. A motorbike however, you have to wear leathers. They should make it a law, you just have to go on the Internet to read articles and stories about people who haven't worn leathers...

Posted from TSR Mobile

A motorcycle. Yeah so I'm guessing I'll be wearing leathers over the suit?
Original post by Alleykat606

Did you really even have to ask this? It's such common sense.

If you can't think of why you need to wear proper gear, then perhaps you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle in the first place.

Put the jacket, shoes and tie in the bag, wear leathers over the shirt and trousers and a pair of more rugged shoes. Upon arriving to school switch out the leathers and put on everything else, there, sorted.
Reply 7
Not really, no.
Reply 8

Leathers are worn as a second skin, so you wouldn't really wear any clothes under them (except for underwear or thermals). Nothing bulky though, certainly not a suit. It would also become useless if you wanted to ride without the formal suit because the leathers would be too big then.

Textile suits may be more appropriate in that case as they can be a bit baggier (and have more adjustment). It would still make more sense to put those clothes, at least the suit jacket, in a bag and then dress at your destination.

I've seen students with the scars from riding with their uniform or casual clothes on.... It's not nice. Try to wear the protection as it is meant to be worn.
Reply 9
Can you not just ride into college then get changed into your suit there?
Reply 10
Unless you're James Bond, just wear proper protective gear. :smile:
I wear leathers over jeans a lot, which is probably more uncomfortable than smart trousers/chinos (depending on how strict your sixth form are with the whole suit thing). But yeah, you won't want to wear the jacket, or shoes...
Reply 12
Leather over trousers.
Put your shoes and jacket in your top box and change when you get to where you need to be.
Wear a leather jacket over your shirt and tie.

Job done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't make stupid statements.

You don't have to wear leathers on a motorbike, you don't have to wear anything except a helmet, as that is the only thing required by law.

You could ride a motorbike in a pair of boxers if you wanted, as long as you wear a helmet.

I'm not saying that people should ride motorbikes without the proper protective gear, but it's not required.

And why should it be a law? If people choose to put themselves at greater risk by not wearing protective clothing then it's their health that they are risking, it's their choice, and is one that they should be free to make.
Original post by officelinebacker
Don't make stupid statements.

You don't have to wear leathers on a motorbike, you don't have to wear anything except a helmet, as that is the only thing required by law.

You could ride a motorbike in a pair of boxers if you wanted, as long as you wear a helmet.

I'm not saying that people should ride motorbikes without the proper protective gear, but it's not required.

And why should it be a law? If people choose to put themselves at greater risk by not wearing protective clothing then it's their health that they are risking, it's their choice, and is one that they should be free to make.

I wouldn't class it as a stupid statement. Yes, you don't HAVE to wear protective clothing, but you're an idiot if you don't.

It should be law because it saves lives. By law you have to wear seatbelts, it should be the same for protective clothing. I reckon it should affect your insurance if you're in a crash and aren't wearing protective clothing.

There is actually no good reason that it's not a law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't class it as a stupid statement. Yes, you don't HAVE to wear protective clothing, but you're an idiot if you don't.

It should be law because it saves lives. By law you have to wear seatbelts, it should be the same for protective clothing. I reckon it should affect your insurance if you're in a crash and aren't wearing protective clothing.

There is actually no good reason that it's not a law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was stupid, because telling him that you have to wear protective gear to ride a motorbike makes it seem like you're saying that it's law, that gear is required, that you are physically unable to ride a bike without it.

That isn't even close to being the case, there is absolutely nothing stopping anybody from riding without protective gear, therefore nobody has to wear it.

The sensible thing to say would be to say that people should wear protective gear, not to say that they have to.
Reply 16
You'll wreck your suit and it won't be good enough protection if you fall off.
Reply 17
(by suit I mean blazer, tie, smart trousers etc.)

Basically I live the perfect distance from school for driving (or riding a motorcycle) and it's cheaper to do so than catch the bus (even with a student fare card). I was just wondering, because for sixth for we have to wear suits, if anyone has any experience with riding a motorcycle in a suit? Would you wear full motorcycle gear over it or everything but trousers or any other combination?

Honestly dude, **** wearing the suit on a bike. Concentrate on getting there in one piece rather than on what you look like. A thin layer of cotton will do naff all in a crash. You can fit everything in a ruck sack, tank bag, top box or w/e (I do it for work every day) which means you can wear the right stuff to keep your skin intact. A crash is NOT FUN.

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - Nick Gnaime, NoSquidding.com

I reckon it should affect your insurance if you're in a crash and aren't wearing protective clothing.

I think it already does. I know when I was hit off my bike last year, I was asked by the Police officer who interviewed me, my insurance company and my solicitors what stuff I was wearing.

If you've made a personal injury claim against the other party and you've not shown that you've made the effort to ensure you're wearing the right kit, then I would think that the case would be thrown out; and in fairness why not? You've basically just stuck two fingers up to everyone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by officelinebacker
It was stupid, because telling him that you have to wear protective gear to ride a motorbike makes it seem like you're saying that it's law, that gear is required, that you are physically unable to ride a bike without it.

That isn't even close to being the case, there is absolutely nothing stopping anybody from riding without protective gear, therefore nobody has to wear it.

The sensible thing to say would be to say that people should wear protective gear, not to say that they have to.

Alright let's make a big deal over a technicality, no you don't HAVE to, although me then saying it should be made law implies that it's not law.

As I said, it's my opinion that the law should force people to wear protective clothing and I genuinely see no reason why someone would choose not to other than being ignorant regarding what can happen if you were to crash without protective clothing.

Maybe it's because I come from a family of bikers (and my mum and granddad had an accident when she was 15), or maybe I've just read too many articles about the people that haven't worn protective clothing - but to me, safety is important and anyone that doesn't wear protective clothing risks their life when they go out without the right gear on.

So I apologise for using the wrong word, but it's something that I feel strongly about :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
after visiting a bike rally this weekend and seeing a photo of a women whose lower leg was ripped clean off then I would say wear correct clothing

also my dad always said - remember its not how good you are or how fast you go, its the idiot that hits you that does the damage (i.e you could be going a safe 5 mile an hour but if a car hits you at 30 you will take that full force unlike in a car)

Quick Reply