The Student Room Group

Law 2014 - applying as a mature student

Hi

I'm 27 and wanting to make a career change, I currently have a BA in accounts from a not so great university, I'm also one exam from completing my ACCA qualification, however I'm not particularly happy or challenged by my career anymore. My plan is to go back to university to study law with a view to qualifying and working as a solicitor.
i currently live in Aberdeen with my husband, who thankfully is able to support us financially so that I can stop working during term time and focus 100% on my course. The only issue is that I would have to stay in Aberdeen to do this, it leaves me with two options, Aberdeen Uni or RGU. Aberdeen have been particularly picky advising me that they would have to investigate whether they could accept my degree as a relevant qualification to get into 1st year of the ordinary LLB, I've not heard anything back as yet but I'm not holding my breath, I've also been told that because I don't hold an honours or meritous ordinary degree I can't apply for the accelerated LLB, also at £12000 per year I don't think I could afford it! Leaving RGU, I'd kind of discounted it because the reputation of the Uni is not great and I've already fought my way through applying for jobs and things with a not so great Uni on my cv.
i know these are probably silly problems compared to some but I just want to know if anyone has experienced something similar, are there many of you out there that have done a non-accelerated LLB as a 2nd degree? Has anyone else gained a professional qualification and been able to use that as entrance qualifications to university? Any LLB graduates that have found their choice of university has hindered their post degree progress?

Thanks

Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending