Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How much different is it from GCSE?
Any tips on how to do well?
I'm studying in AS year:
-Aspects of narrative: how stories are told through prose and poetry
- Coursework: dramatic genres (comedy)

If I'm doing comedy will I need to write comedy? Because I'd be awful at writing comedy, I could analyse it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think you will write comedy, you will have to analyse a Drama text that is comedic or satirical. So for example, Shakespeare's As You Like it, Oscar Wilde's An Ideal Husband are all comedic/satirical. That is what you'll be asked to do for your coursework. It isn't tranformational writing where you will write creatively. It's a comparison essay based coursework.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BaudelaireLucky)
How much different is it from GCSE?
Any tips on how to do well?
I'm studying in AS year:
-Aspects of narrative: how stories are told through prose and poetry
- Coursework: dramatic genres (comedy)

If I'm doing comedy will I need to write comedy? Because I'd be awful at writing comedy, I could analyse it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did exactly the same as you

For the exam I did The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Keats' poems.

For the coursework I had to do my own piece of comedy (kind of), so you do have to do your own bit of creative writing. It involved taking a character from Educating Rita and creating a monologue and a commentary analysing your piece of work. I also had to do A Midsummer Nights Dream, where I had to basically answer the question as to how it demonstrates greed and human folly.

Make sure you know your texts well. I didn't know them greatly and so panicked in the exam looking for specific quotes and chapters. Also, ensure you get your timing right as 2 hours to answer 84 marks worth goes faster than you think!

It's a great course though, feel free to ask me for any help if you need it

Posted from TSR Mobile
DayDreamer1403
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just finished doing AS English Lit and I really enjoyed it! It's different from GCSE in the fact that it's a bit more intense and the workload is heavier, but that can be said for all A Levels really. We studied comedy for our coursework and don't worry, you probably won't have to write it (I didn't anyway), it's more about analysing satire and traditional forms of comedy. We analysed Shakespeare's 'The Taming of the Shrew' and Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest'. In my exam I did 'Small Island', 'The Kite Runner', 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' and several Robert Frost poems.

Like the person above me said, make sure you know your texts well - re-reading them several times is a good idea so you know exactly where the most important parts are and where to look for the quotes you need. I think the best tip I can give you though is to practice essays for the exam as much as possible. My teacher had us do loads of practice papers and I felt confident going into the exam that I knew exactly what I had to do and was able to stick to my timings. Best of luck with it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it
_lifegoeson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i've doing the same course as you, for the coursework we studied two comedies (the importance of being earnest and twelfth night, one had to be shakespeare) and had to write an essay on each one which made up the coursework.

for the exam i did the kite runner, great gatsby and poetry by auden and browning. it's a step up from gcse but not massive, practice all the questions you possibly can especially under the time limit. as everyone else has said know your texts as well as possible, my teacher had us memorise page numbers of certain ley events so for gatsby we knew the numbers for the parties etc.

it's a really great course and once you know the exam technique and tick all the boxes you'll be fine! :-)
username1355940
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lucy96)
I did exactly the same as you

For the exam I did The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Keats' poems.

For the coursework I had to do my own piece of comedy (kind of), so you do have to do your own bit of creative writing. It involved taking a character from Educating Rita and creating a monologue and a commentary analysing your piece of work. I also had to do A Midsummer Nights Dream, where I had to basically answer the question as to how it demonstrates greed and human folly.

Make sure you know your texts well. I didn't know them greatly and so panicked in the exam looking for specific quotes and chapters. Also, ensure you get your timing right as 2 hours to answer 84 marks worth goes faster than you think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing this spec as well. I'm doing The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner and poems by Christina Rossetti and Robert Frost.

For coursework, I'm doing Much Ado About Nothing and Educating Rita. I'm really really struggling with Educating Rita though.
SDaSilva
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can you send me any notes you have comparing these texts. I am an external student and have no support materials.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

(Original post by S.Mundane)
I'm doing this spec as well. I'm doing The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner and poems by Christina Rossetti and Robert Frost.

For coursework, I'm doing Much Ado About Nothing and Educating Rita. I'm really really struggling with Educating Rita though.
SDaSilva
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can you send me any notes you have comparing these texts. I am an external student and have no support materials.

(Original post by DayDreamer1403)
I just finished doing AS English Lit and I really enjoyed it! It's different from GCSE in the fact that it's a bit more intense and the workload is heavier, but that can be said for all A Levels really. We studied comedy for our coursework and don't worry, you probably won't have to write it (I didn't anyway), it's more about analysing satire and traditional forms of comedy. We analysed Shakespeare's 'The Taming of the Shrew' and Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest'. In my exam I did 'Small Island', 'The Kite Runner', 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' and several Robert Frost poems.

Like the person above me said, make sure you know your texts well - re-reading them several times is a good idea so you know exactly where the most important parts are and where to look for the quotes you need. I think the best tip I can give you though is to practice essays for the exam as much as possible. My teacher had us do loads of practice papers and I felt confident going into the exam that I knew exactly what I had to do and was able to stick to my timings. Best of luck with it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it
username1355940
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SDaSilva)

Posted from TSR Mobile
[/QUOTE]

I just saw this now :/ I didn't do so well in the exam. I just missed a C by a mark so I'm retaking it this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (17)
37.78%
I really love the subject (13)
28.89%