Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who don't know this, Athens are gonna host this year's Olympics. Athens-the home of the olympics. Sounds all good, but will they be ready?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3568341.stm

According to this, only 24 out the 39 Olympic venues are fully completed. So what will be the outcome. Hopefully, they will do it, and make it a successful olympics. I only wish I could go there for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    For those of you who don't know this, Athens are gonna host this year's Olympics. Athens-the home of the olympics. Sounds all good, but will they be ready?

According to this, only 24 out the 39 Olympic venues are fully completed. So what will be the outcome. Hopefully, they will do it, and make it a successful olympics. I only wish I could go there for it.
    It seems a bit of a push at the moment but i really hope they do it, i love the olympics and may be in mainland greece olympic time so hopefully i can have a look around. Cant see me getting into a 100m final though!!! Do you think Athens would have got the olympics had it not been the home of the olympics in the past becuase their portfolio for the games didnt seem as impressive as other countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    It seems a bit of a push at the moment but i really hope they do it, i love the olympics and may be in mainland greece olympic time so hopefully i can have a look around. Cant see me getting into a 100m final though!!! Do you think Athens would have got the olympics had it not been the home of the olympics in the past becuase their portfolio for the games didnt seem as impressive as other countries?
    Even without going to see the 100m final, you'll still get a taste of the atmosphere. Try getting into the olympic village (are you allowed?) I'm not sure that they would have got it. I mean you can see how much they had to do just from how they're struggling. But the fact that Athens is the home of the olympics is pretty special, and would appeal to many.

ReputationRep:
    Typical Greeks. Very lazy. This is the reason why they were rejected for the millenium games (obviously it would have been nice to have the millenium games held in the place the Olympics started) but the Olympic commision or whatever they are called knew the Greeks would f*ck it up like the above so they gave them an extra 4 years...and they still havent doen enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)

Yes. They will do it. Because the contractual damages for not completing these projects that no contractor could afford not to finish on time.

Bit like the big stadium they built in Wales for (was it the Rugby workd cup a couple years ago.......I can't remember exactly) Anyway, the contractor John Laing took a $50million loss to finish on time because it would have cost a hell of a lot more than that if it finished late.

ReputationRep:
    lets hope the have enough securaty....

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.