Turn on thread page Beta

gay marriage will be the downfall of civilisation? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    controversial view, many people think that it breaks down family values and without families we are nothing. wat are your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Many same sex couples are able to have a family and maintain the same family values that straight couples have. In fact, same sex couples have more difficulty in having children (finding a donor/surrogate etc.) thus they are more committed and often make better parents! The view that 'without families we are nothing' is a hypocritical one as well because there are so many straight couples divorcing these days, resulting in divided and dysfunctional families.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemyLeigh)
    Not at all. Many same sex couples are able to have a family and maintain the same family values that straight couples have. In fact, same sex couples have more difficulty in having children (finding a donor/surrogate etc.) thus they are more committed and often make better parents! The view that 'without families we are nothing' is a hypocritical one as well because there are so many straight couples divorcing these days, resulting in divided and dysfunctional families.
    thank you for your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGzTsj9VUdE

More seriously: maybe the debate shouldn't even include the possible (totally speculative) effects on society. There is something inherently good about equality, and perhaps we should be happy that we're advancing in the right direction morally.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly does 'family values' even mean though?

Just as you can consider someone family who isn't biologically related, a family is made up of people who love and care about each other, irrespective of whether they're the same sex or different.

It's about the people, not their blood; not their genitals; not their sexuality, right?

ReputationRep:
    It's the view of those who can't comprehend people beyond their limited stereotype of what is considered a family/relationship....

It goes hand in hand with people who also think it is a choice to be gay :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by wag12k12dunkno)
    controversial view, many people think that it breaks down family values and without families we are nothing. wat are your thoughts
    What family values are we supposedly destroying this time? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How does marriage break down a family? It does the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    How does marriage break down a family? It does the opposite.
    i said gay marriage not marriage there's a difference

ReputationRep:
    i said gay marriage not marriage there's a difference
    is there? other than social convention that someone is 'gay' is pretty much irrelevant to marriage.

There are things a mother can say a father can't say vice versa, both mum and dad are the ideal family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Stuart Mill)
    is there? other than social convention that someone is 'gay' is pretty much irrelevant to marriage.
    in the eyes of the law it isn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    There are things a mother can say a father can't say vice versa, both mum and dad are the ideal family.
    i agree with this user

ReputationRep:
    Clearly Miley Cyrus presents a bigger threat to civilisation.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care who gets married if the institution isn't coerced into it. I see it as a comedy skit anyway so who cares :dontknow:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    I don't really care who gets married if the institution isn't coerced into it. I see it as a comedy skit anyway so who cares :dontknow:
    Should I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Should I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have a really funny story but it's cool

ReputationRep:
    you can tell us it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Oh God, now I'm intrigued

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would you be for or against a mother and her son being in a romantic relationship? Most people will probably so yes, it's wrong. Those same people will also argue that homosexual relationships are ok as long as two people love each other. But a mother and a son can also love each other, so why do we draw the line there?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.