Business Studies for A-Level? Watch

This discussion is closed.
coolguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I want to do business managgement or administration or accountancy at uni so should I take Business Studies. Will good unis not accept me if I take Business studies for A-Level or will it help and be useful.
Or should I choose another subject?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Economics is probably better respected. I found a lot of the AS Business Studies a bit out of date and it didn't really go that much in depth. It just touched on things.
coolguy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
They don't do Economics at my school

Is Geography a good subject to study and will it be useful to do for the business course I want to do at uni?
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by coolguy)
I want to do business managgement or administration or accountancy at uni so should I take Business Studies. Will good unis not accept me if I take Business studies for A-Level or will it help and be useful.
Or should I choose another subject?
Business isn't as respected as the name suggests, i have taken it for A level and i found it to be too theory orientated, i dont think that it would help much in a management degree. Economics is a better subject but i recommend contacting unis with the sort of grades you think you can achieve and asking their opinions, its never too late to plan ahead.
Insatiable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by coolguy)
They don't do Economics at my school

Is Geography a good subject to study and will it be useful to do for the business course I want to do at uni?
I do AQA geography and I find it the easiest of my subjects by a mile. There's no coursework at AS and only a smallish project at A2. Compared to the beastly ICT projects, it's a walk in the park. Just make sure you know your facts and case studies and the exam is fine too.
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Economics is probably better respected. I found a lot of the AS Business Studies a bit out of date and it didn't really go that much in depth. It just touched on things.
I have to disagree with you there. Many people believe 'Business Studies' is a mickey mouse subject because it contains the word 'Studies' after it, a word synonymous with mickey mouse subjects, like 'General Studies' and..........erm.........no..... ....I shan's delve into that topic, moreover, it pisssess me off that someone can simplay dismiss Business Studies as not academic enough. It is a subject that requires a lot of depth, analysis and evaluation skills.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal)
I have to disagree with you there. Many people believe 'Business Studies' is a mickey mouse subject because it contains the word 'Studies' after it, a word synonymous with mickey mouse subjects, like 'General Studies' and..........erm.........no..... ....I shan's delve into that topic, moreover, it pisssess me off that someone can simplay dismiss Business Studies as not academic enough. It is a subject that requires a lot of depth, analysis and evaluation skills.
no its nothing to do with the name business studies. i just think it is very vocational, therefore not academic
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
no its nothing to do with the name business studies. i just think it is very vocational, therefore not academic
In what respect is business studies a vocational subject? My definition of vocational is where one learns the skills to be used for an occupation, such as a mechanic learning to fix a motor.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal)
In what respect is business studies a vocational subject? My definition of vocational is where one learns the skills to be used for an occupation, such as a mechanic learning to fix a motor.
accounting?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Erm I probably just didn't appecriate the value of it, I got a B in AS and had to teach myself an entire unit. However Business Studies makes a lot of sense to me, I get high marks in my buisness modules at university.

I guess its just been able to use common sense with more advanced theories.
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
accounting?
In what respect? Please elaborate on why you said business is a vocational subject.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Business Studies is not vocational at all, is 100% theoy based, even the accounting stuff you do such as double entry book keeping is all theory.
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
Erm I probably just didn't appecriate the value of it, I got a B in AS and had to teach myself an entire unit. However Business Studies makes a lot of sense to me, I get high marks in my buisness modules at university.

I guess its just been able to use common sense with more advanced theories.
Why did you not carry it on? To A2?
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
Business Studies is not vocational at all, is 100% theoy based, even the accounting stuff you do such as double entry book keeping is all theory.
Yes there are different qualifications that they do:

AVCE Business.
Business Studies.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal)
In what respect? Please elaborate on why you said business is a vocational subject.
Business Studies is a course which provides the opportunity for you to develop a wide range of business related knowledge and skills. Your studies will cover a wide range of topics relating to business such as the law, accounting, marketing, and others which enable you to ‘taste’ vocational areas that you may wish to pursue after A level.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal)
Why did you not carry it on? To A2?
I went to MANCAT. It was only offered in the second year of my AVCE that I could do the Business Studies AS, so I couldn't have done it at A2 as I had left college by then. I am just annoyed they didn't sugest in year 1. Only four people opted for it and 3 of them completly failed so they have now scrapped that option.
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
Business Studies is a course which provides the opportunity for you to develop a wide range of business related knowledge and skills. Your studies will cover a wide range of topics relating to business such as the law, accounting, marketing, and others which enable you to ‘taste’ vocational areas that you may wish to pursue after A level.
In business you learn from a syllabus that encompassess many topics, much like any other subject. It's not leaned to any specific area.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads