Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Has anyone read anything over the summer?? Sadly, I read far too much pleasure and didn't read academically! I've got books and stuff, but just never got round to read any!

But the main reason why I'm not is because I don't know how to lay it out. For example my reading journals!!

Any suggestions? Also what have you read/on your reading list?

Mine are just the usual;
    • Jane Eyre
    • Perfume: the story of a murderer (compare this with Dr Faustus, theme: lust)
    • Dracula
    • A Streetcar Named Desire
    • Antony and Cleopatra
    • Much Ado About Nothing
    • Picture of Dorian Gray
    • The Judas Kiss
    • Looking for Alaska
    • The Crucible
    • Resistance
    • Atonement
    • Enduring Love (coursework)
    • Wuthering Heights (coursework)
    • Othello (coursework)
    • Paradise Lost
    • Death of A Salesman
    • Ruth
    • Lady Chatterley's Lover
    • The Great Gatsby
    • Pride and Prejudice

ReputationRep:
    For A Level right? It's actually the subject I'm dropping, but I'm reading all the same, just in case I decide to pick it back up. xD

Ones I have currently read:
    - Birdsong (I don't get what all the hype is about this? I hated it, only actually read the first half before putting it down. :rolleyes:)
    - The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (reallly short. Took like a day or two to read.)
    - Brave New World (brilliant book!)
    - The Book Thief (I re-read this book, for the sake of the course. It's one of my all-time favourites.)
    - Wuthering Heights (Actually read last year, as part of the Victorian course. But it fits in nicely with Love Through the Ages)
    - David Copperfield (such a long book! But I loved it, my favourite Dickens book so far)
    - The Return of the Native (I hated this book. I finished it, but it was hard work.)
    - Anything by Oscar Wilde. I've read most of his drama pieces; two for coursework (The Importance of Being Earnest and The Woman of No Importance). Not too bad really, considering I'm not such a huge fan of plays.

Most of that was read this summer, the only exception being Wuthering Heights. On my to read list, is;

- The Scarlett Letter (this was recommended last year for Victorian texts. I just never got around to reading it.)
    - A Tale of Two Cities
    - The Great Gatsby
    - Shakespeare
    (anything by Shakespeare. I've only ever read Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth. It's about time I read some more!)
    - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
    - The Kite Runner

That's it for now. I'll add more to my list when I've worked my way through these!
    I've not heard of some of the ones on your list, I need to look into them!

As for reading logs. I'll attach the format that I use. The sub-headings were given to me by my teacher. I just fill this sheet in for every book (well, I gave up just after my results, I'm only reading now and making the occasional highlight of quote on my kindle).
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx outline.docx (40.1 KB, 140 views)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.