The Student Room Group

Part time jobs during term time?

I'm going into my second year of University and am looking for weekend work either on campus or in the local area. I've already applied for a job at a nearby H&M, but don't rate my chances as I've never worked in retail before. I've done waitressing and bar work before but I'd prefer to work in a supermarket, clothes shop or cinema.

To those who have got jobs in these environments- did you go get them through online applications, or by taking CV's in by hand? Online I struggle to find vacancies nearby, but I've gone into places with CVs before and they tell me to apply online, so I end up getting nowhere.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I find the whole job search thing very frustrating!
Reply 1
Different retailers will have different policies when it comes to recruiting, but when it comes to big chains they usually recruit online. My advice would be to go out with some CV's, go into a lot of different shops you'd like to work in, and ask if they're recruiting. Even if they say they're not recruiting, ask if you can hand in a CV anyway because a lot of stores keep them on file. By going into the shop you'll also find out if they recruit online. If it's any help, I know that Sainsbury's, Tesco and Asda recruit online.
Hi , I have applied for many positions at Tesco and everytime I get an email its a rejections.
I have tried to go to the stores that are being advertised for the vacancies and only one was helpful. is there any Tesco manager in East London that could help out a hardworking student :smile:

Thank you all for your stories it motivates who's still looking work.
Reply 3
Go into smaller shops rather than the big places like Asda and Tesco. I got my current Job by going in and they had a vacancy sign so and filled in an application and got it (out of 60 people who applied) yet all the big places with online applications rejected me :tongue: so yeah smaller places give you more of a chance because they have more of a connection to their staff so they know that students are just as good at working than older people :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Emilyy
Go into smaller shops rather than the big places like Asda and Tesco. I got my current Job by going in and they had a vacancy sign so and filled in an application and got it (out of 60 people who applied) yet all the big places with online applications rejected me :tongue: so yeah smaller places give you more of a chance because they have more of a connection to their staff so they know that students are just as good at working than older people :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you Emily I will follow your advice,
you are the first person replying to my sadness:biggrin:

thank you. and good luck with your pursues :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest