The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bloomblaze
Simple question, what age is weird to still be living at home with parents?

Im turning 24 soon and still live at home, with no sign of moving out anytime soon, I imagine I'll be living at home for years to come (seriously, I'm not joking). Anyone in the same boat?

I hate living at home, and feel like a child, and feel left behind other people my age who have moved out.

i'm 24. Live with my dad. My dad works away from home 3 even 4 nights a week so i kinda already live by myself. I have no problem living with my father and have no need/urge to move out as 1. he's never here. 2. He works, sleeps, cooks and we both work irregular hours so never see eachother. I'm very happy living with my dad at 24,

pretty much all my close friends 90% live at home still and they're 24/25/26 years of age. One of my brothers friends in nearly 28 still lives at home.
Depends why you are living at home and whether or not you have the means to move. If you have the means to move out and don't at more than 25 then I'd say you're too old.

Saying that, In many ways, its a cultural thing and some cultures live together or close together with their families and extended families, so I suppose its as much my western culture saying that than anything. I really value my independence and couldn't see myself moving back home except if it was an emergency.
Reply 22
Original post by Coxy124
It depends, personally I feel that 24 is rather old to still live at home... do you not have any ambition to leave home?

I'm 19 at the moment but still living at home due to studying my A Levels (took 2 years off at 16 to work) but I want to leave as soon as possible and plan on never moving back once I go to university in 2014. It's not that my family isn't wonderful or I don't like where I live its just I want my independance.

The OP mentioned in their post that they 'hated' living at home.. your question came accross as very judgemental, especially when you don't know their circumstances. Moving out may seem easy enough for you at 19 but for mid twenty somethings struggling to find a job or even with a crappy minimum wage job, it's impossible.

I'm 23 and moved back home this summer after finishing uni... :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by deadwing
The OP mentioned in their post that they 'hated' living at home.. your question came accross as very judgemental, especially when you don't know their circumstances. Moving out may seem easy enough for you at 19 but for mid twenty somethings struggling to find a job or even with a crappy minimum wage job, it's impossible.

Of course it was judgemental... he asked for our opinions. An opinion is a judgement? Just cause you don't like something doesn't mean he has ambition to change it, there is a difference in not liking something and getting off of your arse and trying to do something about it.

What I was trying to gather from the OP was whether he was at the stage of trying to do something about it.

P.S Jobs aren't exactly as hard to get as people make out these days. Current unemployment rate for 16-24 year olds is 21% (http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn05871) so what your saying is that to be without a job you are worse than 4/5 of potential job seekers and to be honest if you ARE worse than 4/5 of people why should you expect to get a job, if it were my business why would I want to employ someone who is sub par. To be honest the figures will also be a fair bit less if you exclude 16-24 year olds who aren't even looking for employment which I imagine is a fair few. People just need to improve their appeal to potential employers instead of still applying for jobs whilst you are a poor candidate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by deadwing

How do you find living at home again?
I don't actually think it's ever 'weird': depending on the culture, many people choose to live with their parents. Here, it might be less common, but if people choose to because they have a good relationship with their parents, fair enough. Equally, if someone can't afford to move out, that's also fair enough. For me personally, I took a year out and I'm on a 4 year course (I'm 22), which means I have a year left. So I live at home during holidays. The problem for me is the fact that I'm not financially independent, and my parents do still see me as a child so when I come back home, it's a massive step backwards in the sense that I truly do feel like a child again sometimes. Not great for growing up and taking responsibility and whatnot. I love my parents, but don't want to come back after uni as I don't like how things are when I'm here. But who knows what will happen...
My boss is in her 30s making at least 40k salary and she still lives with her parents...

some people do it to save it for a deposit rather than wasting money on renting?
Why should a person move out because some societal norm says he/she should?

It's called HOME for a reason.
Reply 28
Original post by bloomblaze
Simple question, what age is weird to still be living at home with parents?

I know some people who are 30-32 and only at 32 or 30 started moving out. So you are definitely fine:wink:
I'm 21, I will never be able to afford to rent let alone buy, so i'm still living at home and will always be unless I get council housing (thinking of applying soon). it says on the website that people who contribute to the community through volunteering, etc. can be given priority (something called the community contribution award). it might be worth a look if you really feel stuck: http://www.barnet.gov.uk/info/10060/applying_for_council_housing/357/applying_for_council_housing
(edited 10 years ago)
moved out when I was 18. there's no definite age when someone moves out. depends on the circumstances really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the fact house prices are now a joke and its virtually impossible to pay to move out there is no stupid age to live at home 24 is young!
Original post by Coxy124
Of course it was judgemental... he asked for our opinions. An opinion is a judgement? Just cause you don't like something doesn't mean he has ambition to change it, there is a difference in not liking something and getting off of your arse and trying to do something about it.

What I was trying to gather from the OP was whether he was at the stage of trying to do something about it.

P.S Jobs aren't exactly as hard to get as people make out these days. Current unemployment rate for 16-24 year olds is 21% (http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn05871) so what your saying is that to be without a job you are worse than 4/5 of potential job seekers and to be honest if you ARE worse than 4/5 of people why should you expect to get a job, if it were my business why would I want to employ someone who is sub par. To be honest the figures will also be a fair bit less if you exclude 16-24 year olds who aren't even looking for employment which I imagine is a fair few. People just need to improve their appeal to potential employers instead of still applying for jobs whilst you are a poor candidate.

Yes but bearing in mind the average deposit for a house is £20,000 that's a hell of a lot of money. I personally would rather live at home longer save up longer and buy a nice house than move out when I cant really afford it for the sake of it and end up somewhere im unhappy. Yes jobs may be easier to come by but that doesn't mean you can magic up a £20k deposit and mortgage from nowhere.
Original post by Coxy124

That doesn't take into account different regions though. In some places it will be easier to get a job than others. Hang on, I think there's a solution; move elsewhere. No, wait...
Reply 34
Original post by SillyMilly
Yes but bearing in mind the average deposit for a house is £20,000 that's a hell of a lot of money. I personally would rather live at home longer save up longer and buy a nice house than move out when I cant really afford it for the sake of it and end up somewhere im unhappy. Yes jobs may be easier to come by but that doesn't mean you can magic up a £20k deposit and mortgage from nowhere.

Heard of a concept called renting? Of course your not going to go straight from student or low income job to owning a house. You can rent flats from upwards of £300 a month.

Original post by TheMagicRat
That doesn't take into account different regions though. In some places it will be easier to get a job than others. Hang on, I think there's a solution; move elsewhere. No, wait...

(http://www.poverty.org.uk/35/c.png) I live in the north east and that is the third highest for unemployment. Plus the whole concept of trying to better yourself than other candidates stands.
22/23 LATEST .. I cringe whenever i converse with folk like that then they reveal that they still live at home with their parents . I just generally feel that it shows a lack of ambition,maturity and they are beneath me
Reply 36
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
22/23 LATEST .. I cringe whenever i converse with folk like that then they reveal that they still live at home with their parents . I just generally feel that it shows a lack of ambition,maturity and they are beneath me

I wouldn't put it so bluntly but yeah, I agree.
Original post by dennisraymondsmith

Cool. Let's not cross paths then and we'll both be happy.
Original post by Coxy124
Heard of a concept called renting? Of course your not going to go straight from student or low income job to owning a house. You can rent flats from upwards of £300 a month.

(http://www.poverty.org.uk/35/c.png) I live in the north east and that is the third highest for unemployment. Plus the whole concept of trying to better yourself than other candidates stands.

But renting in the long run is wasting money, your wasting £300 a month which you could save towards a deposit. Its easy to rent but not everybody wants to rent some people would rather buy.

It also depends where you live even a one bedroom flat would cost you over £600 a month where I live
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Coxy124

you're saying that 21% of us are unemployed because we are sub-par scum? **** off. has it not even occurred to you that there actually might not be enough jobs out there for everyone who wants one?

also not everyone who wants to move out can afford to. you're clearly a very rich kid, ignorant or both.

Latest

Trending

Trending