The Student Room Group

Higher history help!

I'm crashing higher history this year, and I'm so lost. Firstly, how does it all work? The exam paper for modern studies is set out in such a way I know what I'm to do but I don't understand the history paper layouts at all! How much of each part will I eventually do?

on top of this, how long do I get to write an essay? What does extended response mean? Is my first question 'to what extent was Britain a democracy by 1918' an example of an 'extended response'? Is there a set length?

i know thats a lot of questions but I can't get my head around this!

Do you get more time to write a history essay than modern studies, because there is so much more necessary information to include here!

Is there any hints anyone can give me on doing this essay? I'm much better at maths than english so essays will always be my weak point, but I will put in all the effort I can give, I really enjoy the course work but... Wow! This is so hard!

how do I put in analysis?

please someone help me! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Koalabearish
I'm crashing higher history this year, and I'm so lost. Firstly, how does it all work? The exam paper for modern studies is set out in such a way I know what I'm to do but I don't understand the history paper layouts at all! How much of each part will I eventually do?

First of all, i also crashed higher history last year and only achieved a C but i still have all the knowledge etc and i am sitting advanced higher this year. Yes the exam paper is different to Modern studies (i got an A at higher) as in that you are given just two topics to write essays on for paper 1 and there are usually about 3 questions to choose from. So for example one on Russia and one on Britain. Also, paper 2 it is a source paper and you answer 4 or so questions based on your second topic which for example may be migration and empire.

on top of this, how long do I get to write an essay? What does extended response mean? Is my first question 'to what extent was Britain a democracy by 1918' an example of an 'extended response'? Is there a set length?

You get roughly 40 minuted to write each essay which can be a little bit of a struggle but it is perfectly manageable to write a concise essay with decent analysis and some historiography (historian's quotes/viewpoints). An extended response or extended essay is usually done towards the end of the year where you pick a question on one of your topics from paper 1, research it thoroughly, then write an essay about 2000-30000 words and learn it and re-write it in timed conditions.

Do you get more time to write a history essay than modern studies, because there is so much more necessary information to include here! how do I put in analysis?

Yes you as i stated before get 40 minutes to write each essay instead of 22.5 mins in modern studies as there is much more to include in a history essay and analysis is needed for a pass. There are ten marks out of 20 available for analysis. I struggled with analysis quite a bit last year but you need to just keep referring back to the question. The democracy essay for the British topic is fairly straightforward but i cannot give much help as i have completely forgotten all about it. Sorry.

I hope this helped in some way though:smile:
You say that you are not very good in English/writing essays but trust me, after taking Higher History you will feel so much more confident in writing essays, it is a very useful course :smile:
Reply 3
Sooty about the mess of this, I don't really understand how to do the quote thingeys,

lala4; thank you! I managed an A at higher modern studies and with my terrible english writing skills its a miracle! Thanks for timings, when I realised how long my essay was becoming I freaked out about time lol I think modern studies PEEL methods will help with relating to question :smile: thank you!

hattiemcbinky; Oh dear lord I hope so! I was scared to take the course due to my lacking skills!
I suck at English, like big time...but after practicing I ended up getting an A for history...you gotta remember to get everything down...take your time at first in class and take it bit by bit, it may seem like alot but after a while you'll realize its not, and then work on time management
Paper 1

firstly I advise you learn the material, the KU is fine but you need to do a nice little explaining of it. My epic History teachers told me to always say "so what?"

e.g Old people were given the Pension, thats a mark for KQ so now I ask "so what?" This means Elderly now had a source of income and were not seen as a burden, this meant their family could keep them supported, but on the other hand the money was only a small fraction and not enough to live independently so they still relied on the support of sons etc. This will get me the analysis marks

Bear in mind

4 marks for structure
6 for KQ
12 for Analysis

You're going to have alot of knowledge in there, more than 6 marks worth in your essay so its those pesky Analysis you gotta get in, like I said remember to ask "so what?" to every point of knowledge

The Structure is very VERY VERY VERY VERY important, I recommend learning 1 format and then memorizing it, a great tip is if your running out of time for your second essay write as much as you can and then conclude the essay, this secures you the structure points at-least....so careful and monitor the time limit. In mine I missed 1 paragraph but I mentioned it in the intro and concluded my essay, and according to my teacher i got a pretty good mark for it .

Paper 2

Firstly practice practice practice, I cant tell you how important it is for you to practice this paper. Because once you do, you'll sail through it. Our Paper 2 teacher (since we had 2 teach one did paper 1 the other did 2) made us learn the course based on past papers, every day we walked in he fired them at us, completely ignoring the fact we knew nothing about that certain topic, it not only broadened our knowledge once we got there but we knew facts not in the course which meant we had a slight edge knowledge wise in the hall. Once you get into the swing of the questions (only 4 and easy formatted) you should be fine since the big 10 markers are pretty darn simple. find 4 points in the source and then use recall. This is where the past papers come into play, you'll know exactly what to write if you've done enough and wont pause and be lost. The Annoying "how useful" is a pain but also can be learned, just remember to do exactly as the question asks it will tell you to explain why its useful based on time, location, etc etc. NEVER here go "it is useful as its a primary source" as i said before "so what?" You need to further explain why its useful as a primary source by stating its relevant to the time (state what era and time) and further explain it. There are guides online i can send you through PM which helped me here since i struggled, the comparison is also a nightmare for the unwary, its no good just writing down the differences or similarities, you gotta explain them too...

Like I said, Practice and you shall excel here np..

I hated Paper 2 and (according to my teacher) I got 29/30 for it :biggrin: so it is doable :biggrin:

sorry for the wall of text but i hope this helped :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hattiemcbinky
You say that you are not very good in English/writing essays but trust me, after taking Higher History you will feel so much more confident in writing essays, it is a very useful course :smile:

Yes, I concur highly with this - I actually felt that higher English didn't develop my essay-writing skills that much, whereas after a year of higher history my writing style, both stylistically and in terms of analytical qualities felt much improved. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest