The Student Room Group

How can a medical student improve his or her resume?

I am currently a medical student of Manchester. Starting my third year now.

I really want to improve my resume. So I was wondering if there are any examinations or courses I can enroll in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Xuan

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt there is a magic course that boosts your medical CV on all fronts. You'll probably need to target different skills (competencies) or facets of a medical career that you want to gain an edge in and do activities that are related to that and keep proof of it (certificates, accredited letters etc.) (if possible) and build up a portfolio for it.
So if you're interested in surgery, you could set up a surgical society, run a surgical journal club, attend a course or two, write your commentary pieces for a journal or student magazine etc.

for things like medical education, you could get involved in teaching peers, do some research, do extra-curriculars that utilise different teaching skills (so you might teach science to primary school kids, or you might create some resources for medical students, or you might campaign within your med school to get some changes to your course).

Similar things can apply for management, different specialities, etc.

Generally for all things, doing research (and bonus for getting published) will help.
Audits. Posters. Publications. In the long-run those are the things that will get you the most bang for your buck. You could also consider entering the many national-prize essay competitions that you find advertised in the student BMJ (which also may give you the opportunity to present/be published)
Reply 3
Original post by purplefrog
I doubt there is a magic course that boosts your medical CV on all fronts. You'll probably need to target different skills (competencies) or facets of a medical career that you want to gain an edge in and do activities that are related to that and keep proof of it (certificates, accredited letters etc.) (if possible) and build up a portfolio for it.
So if you're interested in surgery, you could set up a surgical society, run a surgical journal club, attend a course or two, write your commentary pieces for a journal or student magazine etc.

for things like medical education, you could get involved in teaching peers, do some research, do extra-curriculars that utilise different teaching skills (so you might teach science to primary school kids, or you might create some resources for medical students, or you might campaign within your med school to get some changes to your course).

Similar things can apply for management, different specialities, etc.

Generally for all things, doing research (and bonus for getting published) will help.

Thank you for your reply.

If I wanted to do research would, would I have to do it under a professor? I am just really confused how to get into the research projects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Spencer Wells
Audits. Posters. Publications. In the long-run those are the things that will get you the most bang for your buck. You could also consider entering the many national-prize essay competitions that you find advertised in the student BMJ (which also may give you the opportunity to present/be published)

If I wanted to do audits and posters would I have to get a consultant to supervise me? I am just beginning my clinical year next week so my knowledge regarding audits are very poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DR_X

If I wanted to do audits and posters would I have to get a consultant to supervise me? I am just beginning my clinical year next week so my knowledge regarding audits are very poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easiest way to get into audits etc is to volunteer to do the donkey work (data collection etc) for someone else's project. Ask around once you get onto wards to see what's already going on that you can be involved in.
This sounds like a really, really stupid question... but what's an audit. I looked it up and don't know whether you're talking about the same thing. Sorry, just for curiosity :smile:

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Easiest way to get into audits etc is to volunteer to do the donkey work (data collection etc) for someone else's project. Ask around once you get onto wards to see what's already going on that you can be involved in.
Reply 7
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
This sounds like a really, really stupid question... but what's an audit. I looked it up and don't know whether you're talking about the same thing. Sorry, just for curiosity :smile:

Why is it a stupid question. I really just want to get the most of my medical student years. Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DR_X
Why is it a stupid question. I really just want to get the most of my medical student years. Haha<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />
No she meant that she herself doesnt know what an audit is and she thinks its a stupid question for her to ask what an audit is.:smile:
Yes, sorry - I meant as in personally, not your question! Your question isn't stupid at all :smile: Thanks gingerandice :smile:

Original post by gingerandice
<br />
<br />
No she meant that she herself doesnt know what an audit is and she thinks its a stupid question for her to ask what an audit is.:smile:

Original post by DR_X
Why is it a stupid question. I really just want to get the most of my medical student years. Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi

This.
Thank you! :smile:

Original post by Spencer Wells

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending