Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if anyone has their notes or anything useful for GCSE History Medicine and Treatement (Or surgery) Please sent it to me
    Anything will be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEfreak)
    if anyone has their notes or anything useful for GCSE History Medicine and Treatement (Or surgery) Please sent it to me
    Anything will be greatly appreciated!
    Medicine and treatment on edexcel history B? Omg this unit was the worst, the craziest and the stupidest ever.... So much to learn about so many different and boring things.

Ok rant over, I did this in yr 10 and got a B in this unit. My worst scoring unit. I remember using a edexcel history book; a man with a beak on it :confused:. I used this and past papers on the edexcel website.

I used this revision technique for my other history units and scored much more highly in those, but couldn't do it for this one

ReputationRep:
    OMG! I find this unit SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Hard!! B isn't bad as a year 10er. yup I knw that book; the brownish one; its jus sooo much to learn! did u jus memorise the whole thing? I mean how do u learn it ? did ya make short notes or summin?? how long did it take ya to learn it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123a)
    Medicine and treatment on edexcel history B? Omg this unit was the worst, the craziest and the stupidest ever.... So much to learn about so many different and boring things.

Ok rant over, I did this in yr 10 and got a B in this unit. My worst scoring unit. I remember using a edexcel history book; a man with a beak on it :confused:. I used this and past papers on the edexcel website.

I used this revision technique for my other history units and scored much more highly in those, but couldn't do it for this one
    OMG! I find this unit SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Hard!! B isn't bad as a year 10er. yup I knw that book; the brownish one; its jus sooo much to learn! did u jus memorise the whole thing? I mean how do u learn it ? did ya make short notes or summin?? how long did it take ya to learn it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I made notes in chronological order (so when I revised from my notes I was kind of going through a timeline). I made detailed notes on the main people; like Hippocrates, Galen, Jenner and whoever else I learnt about. Then once I memorised that, I made sure I could explain some of the things they did and also made sure I knew how much they progressed medicine or treatment in their time. Then I would go over the book and memorise a few minor pieces of information just so I have a better understanding.

I make my own notes from the textbook, in a way I can easily understand. Because just reading the textbook is too boring. Then I would go through my notes and memorise the detail. I didn't memorise the whole thing, because when I used the textbook to make my own notes, I only took the most important information. Once I had learn that I would only then focus on the less important details. (Take it in chunks if you want) As you do this your knowledge for this boring topic will grow. I started revising about 3 weeks before this exam, but that was because I just learnt it just before the exam, so it was still 'fresh' in my mind. (I would leave about a month though, or even more if you want the top grade) I was more confident on this unit that my other unit-American west-but I got a B in medicine and an A* in American west.

Oh yeah, I also remembered many important dates.

But the main thing to do is know the people, know what they did, how they did it, and to what extent it progressed or regressed/stagnated treatment/medicine.

Then once your knowledge is good you have to practice your exam technique. Past papers will help a lot for three reasons. 1) As I have just said, it will help practice your exam technique. 2) Helps with your timings; history is like an english exam but with less time. You need to know how much to spend on each question. 3) Knowing the style of the question. Some of the questions get repeated but with a different person. This can prepare you for unexpected questions in the next series of exams. If you can think of any other reasons for doing past papers do so. You can either do the actual past papers in timed conditions with fully-detailed answers, or you can bullet point the answers if you thinks it's too much essay writing. Personally I did bullet point answers for the first few papers then did the rest as if I was actually sitting the exam.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123a)
    Yeah, I made notes in chronological order (so when I revised from my notes I was kind of going through a timeline). I made detailed notes on the main people; like Hippocrates, Galen, Jenner and whoever else I learnt about. Then once I memorised that, I made sure I could explain some of the things they did and also made sure I knew how much they progressed medicine or treatment in their time. Then I would go over the book and memorise a few minor pieces of information just so I have a better understanding.

I make my own notes from the textbook, in a way I can easily understand. Because just reading the textbook is too boring. Then I would go through my notes and memorise the detail. I didn't memorise the whole thing, because when I used the textbook to make my own notes, I only took the most important information. Once I had learn that I would only then focus on the less important details. (Take it in chunks if you want) As you do this your knowledge for this boring topic will grow. I started revising about 3 weeks before this exam, but that was because I just learnt it just before the exam, so it was still 'fresh' in my mind. (I would leave about a month though, or even more if you want the top grade) I was more confident on this unit that my other unit-American west-but I got a B in medicine and an A* in American west.

Oh yeah, I also remembered many important dates.

But the main thing to do is know the people, know what they did, how they did it, and to what extent it progressed or regressed/stagnated treatment/medicine.

Then once your knowledge is good you have to practice your exam technique. Past papers will help a lot for three reasons. 1) As I have just said, it will help practice your exam technique. 2) Helps with your timings; history is like an english exam but with less time. You need to know how much to spend on each question. 3) Knowing the style of the question. Some of the questions get repeated but with a different person. This can prepare you for unexpected questions in the next series of exams. If you can think of any other reasons for doing past papers do so. You can either do the actual past papers in timed conditions with fully-detailed answers, or you can bullet point the answers if you thinks it's too much essay writing. Personally I did bullet point answers for the first few papers then did the rest as if I was actually sitting the exam.

hope this helps
    Thats awesome! 3 Weeks of revision and u got a B: WOW!
    i've been tryinn to revise in this 6 weeks holiday and i still havnt wrote up half my notes! I dont know what to do: its jus sooo LONG! and the Public health section is endless!!

Btw Thanks alot for the advise! Greatly Appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Thats awesome! 3 Weeks of revision and u got a B: WOW!
    i've been tryinn to revise in this 6 weeks holiday and i still havnt wrote up half my notes! I dont know what to do: its jus sooo LONG! and the Public health section is endless!!

Btw Thanks alot for the advise! Greatly Appreciated!!
    It's ok.
    Wow you're prepared. Starting now :eek:, I would never be able to keep going through it until next june.

good luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.