This discussion is closed.
Louize
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hey.....stumbled across this forum...i was wondering if anyone had any results for an osmosis experiment [GCSE level],

aim = to discover the effect different concentrations of sugar solutions have on a length of potato.

help!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance !!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Heya,

I don't have any results for you, cuz I finished my GCSEs two years ago, I'm sitting my A level biology next week tho!
the general idea is that the more concentrated the sugar solution, the more likely water is gonna want to move to it because of an osmotic gradient.

Its all about solutes in the potato. Potatoes have a certain water potential. If you put a potato chip/slice/whatever in a test tube of distilled water, the water molecules will move from where they are more free to move around to where they are less free to move around, so theyll go from the water into the potato, and the chip will get heavier (weigh it before and after). If you put a potato in a concentrated sugar solution, where the water molecules are more restricted than in the potato, the water molecules will go from the potato to the sugar solution, and the chip will lose weight.

If you do this with a whole range of sugar concentrations, from distilled water right through to concentrated sugar solutions, you should get nice curvey graph. The point at which the potato chip is the same weight before and after shows there was no net water movement, so you have calculated the solute concentration of the potato.

Maybe you knew all this anyway, and in that case I've just been usless. But if not, this should give you enough to think and write about, hopefully!

From a stressed biologist!
mrmarsupial
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1 minute !!!!!!!!! let me dig up my old files I might have an essay on this for you I MIGHT NOT THOUGH lol 1 min
mrmarsupial
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
found it let me upload it for you, I dont think its good but it should explain it to you, and give you something to work on

http://mrmarsupial.tripod.com/Potato.zip

your welcome ! its not that good, think C or B but their are some good results, I was always accurate when taking results
Louize
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
thanks xx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (103)
9.76%
Isolating with family (71)
6.73%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.7%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.63%
Loneliness (106)
10.05%
Financial worries (48)
4.55%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (97)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.01%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.63%

Watched Threads