The Oxbridge Disadvantage?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
TheMutantGerbil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Anyone else heard anything about people being rejected from other unis because they get their application in for the Oxbridge deadline. The unis believe, for very strong candidates, that they would not accept their offer so they don't bother giving one.

The reason I ask is that someone in my school applied to Oxford/Cambridge for Law as well as Durham, Notts, Leeds etc. and only got one offer, from Leeds (AAA). I on the other hand did not apply to Oxbridge but got offers from Durham, Manc, Notts, Birm, Newc (& Man Met). We have very similar GCSE grades and are both predicted 3 As so what's happening. There doesn't seem much of a question about his Personal Statement so are Unis not bothering with people who they think will definitely accept Oxbridge and if they are, surely it's not right. This guy is really pissed off because he is a very strong candidate and has only managed to get one offer (from Leeds which isn't even that highly regarded for Law but still want AAA).
ruthie_x
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Me and my mates have had similar problems regarding Oxbridge applications. Because Oxbridge applicants have their UCAS forms in early October many Uni's presume they are applying to Oxbride and do not make these people offers based on this. I found that one of my friends who applied to Oxbridge did not get a place at Warwick when another person with exactly the same grades, subjects, background and personal statement/reference gained a place. The only difference between the two was that one had applied to Oxbridge in October, the other in December. There definately does seem to be some form of bias about this. Also, do Uni's work on a first come, first served basis? I received an offer from Nottingham in early Nov and my friend was recently rejected as she sent her form in later than me. Same grades again. There is no justice.
Saintsin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got rejected from Manchester, Warwick and York for computer science before getting accepted in Cambridge. I was rather worrying as I was thinking to my self if I got rejected from these universities then I will never be considered at Cambridge.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I personally didn't have any problems applying before the oxbridge deadline. I recieved 5 offers for computer science from warwick, york, edinburugh, southampton and nottingham trent with only cambridge rejecting me.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Soulfish)
I personally didn't have any problems applying before the oxbridge deadline. I recieved 5 offers for computer science from warwick, york, edinburugh, southampton and nottingham trent with only cambridge rejecting me.
me neither. i applied to oxbridge and got offers from all my 5 other choices - st andrews, bath, durham, edinburgh and newcastle
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
me neither. i applied to oxbridge and got offers from all my 5 other choices - st andrews, bath, durham, edinburgh and newcastle
Me as well - I applied to Cambridge and still got offers from Durham, Sheffield, Northumbria and Bristol to do Law.
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bristol rejected me but I got offers from Warks, Notts(x2), Cardiff for law courses. Oxford accepted me anyway so I wasn't bothered. Bristol is very small so I guess they have to be more selective with who they make offers too.

It should all be changed if the government can push through the changes tot he school calendar which mean you'll apply after you get your grades.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by house badger)
It should all be changed if the government can push through the changes tot he school calendar which mean you'll apply after you get your grades.
Hopefully... the present UCAS arrangements are, quite frankly, *******s. It takes months and months to get anything done at UCAS, and even then it's all based on "what if"s and "hopefully"s. It's too much of a stab in the dark for getting into University. *sigh* Rant over.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Soulfish)
I didn't have any problems. I received offers from Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Durham, Warwick and Nottingham.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I applied to Cambridge before the deadline and got offers from York, Bath, Manchester, Warwick.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It didn't seem to affect me.

I applied to many of the unis that your friend applied to for Law as well.
Durham, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Warwick and Cambridge.

I would LIKE to think that my 6As make me a 'strong candidate', but I got rejected by Cambridge (which upset me for a whole 3 days) and accepted by the rest with very low offers.

But maybe your friend got that bad luck coz law is seriously competitive and unis are heavily over subscribed? Hmm.. it seems all a bit of a lottery.
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
Anyone else heard anything about people being rejected from other unis because they get their application in for the Oxbridge deadline. The unis believe, for very strong candidates, that they would not accept their offer so they don't bother giving one.

The reason I ask is that someone in my school applied to Oxford/Cambridge for Law as well as Durham, Notts, Leeds etc. and only got one offer, from Leeds (AAA). I on the other hand did not apply to Oxbridge but got offers from Durham, Manc, Notts, Birm, Newc (& Man Met). We have very similar GCSE grades and are both predicted 3 As so what's happening. There doesn't seem much of a question about his Personal Statement so are Unis not bothering with people who they think will definitely accept Oxbridge and if they are, surely it's not right. This guy is really pissed off because he is a very strong candidate and has only managed to get one offer (from Leeds which isn't even that highly regarded for Law but still want AAA).
I agree. Several students from my school are in that position - it could be that they left their UCAS / Oxbridge application until 14th October... and any Uni seeing the DATE on their form would have known they were applying. I think the only way to do this is to send it as early in September as you can, so it just looks like you are a keen applicant rather than just an Oxbridge one. When did the more successful (in terms of lots of offers) applicants send theirs in?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Geogger)
When did the more successful (in terms of lots of offers) applicants send theirs in?
Early September. Your theory MAY be right coz' I got offers from Leeds, Manchester and Notts before 15th October.
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Early September. Your theory MAY be right coz' I got offers from Leeds, Manchester and Notts before 15th October.
Interesting... very interesting... need some more evidence folks!
DonnaB041986
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
same here - got offers from manchester, warwick, bath, leeds, liverpool and cam. (for either maths or maths + phys)
to the first poster - law is a very competative course, i dont know anyone in school who applied for law and got more than about 4 offers and most of them are targetted for AAA so i shouldnt think its that surprising that your friend got so many rejections. however you could be right with the oxbridge thing. A girl in my school applied for oxford for PPE, and got rejected from durham + manchester. i think she got 4 offers in the end, including oxford. i think it might depend on the uni and the subject if there are discriminations

Donna
-x-
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
I don't think there's any bias at all!! I got offers from 4 of my unis for law as well. The thing you've got to remember is that the unis your friend applied to (yo mentioned oxbridge, durham and notts) are all incredibly popular unis for law...and are damn hard to get into! It's not gonna be easy to get into these unis...especially for law since it's such a popular subject.

People applying to these unis are almost all generally straight A students and have very good personal statements/references and the rest of it...so getting offers can be a bit of a lottery.

BTW- it used to be that unis would do that...but they can't see where else you've applied to or any other uni's decisions any more....so if they really want you, they'll give an offer and hope you take it up.

G
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Out of curiousity, what subjects was your friend predicted 3As in?

Sometimes, the subjects you do actually matter.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That may be cos you're international though...maybe...

G
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
That may be cos you're international though...maybe...

G
True true.. Very likely.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
True true.. Very likely.
It also may be cos you have amazing grades and are a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.44%
No (594)
65.56%

Watched Threads