The Student Room Group

Could i get into uni with only two a-levels?

I wasted last year and failed due to personal reasons. I Got UUDD, so i am carrying on with the two i passed which are Econ and Geog whilst resitting the AS exams.

This year i know i will do far better. I don't want to be told about weather or not this is realistic, but lets assume that this year i come out with two A's. That would leave me with 240 Ucas points. The course i originally wanted to do required 260 Ucas points. But lets say i went for a less competitive course that required around 220 Ucas points which would be achievable if i got AB which is possible. Would i stand a chance of getting into an OK (not good, but OK) University? Or any Uni at all for that matter with only two A levels (assuming i meet the UCAS point requirement anyway) Oh and i would be applying through clearing at the end of the year

I have also been offered the chance to do A2 General Studies, but i'm not sure i want to do it, i would rather focus on the two subjects i know i like instead of risking another one i don't like (maths and physics-the subjects i failed)

Thanks in advance

Edit: to be honest i think i want to go uni just because i feel i need to rather than I want degree, going to a posh boys school all my life has made me really feel like i have missed out in life and i think the whole social life/being on your own is something i feel I need to experience so a good university for me is maybe not all that, but i'd like to go to an okay one
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you have enough UCAS points, and the course does not specify that you need three A Levels, then you will be in contention for a place.

However, you will find yourself limited to the ex-polytechnic universities, and you must also consider how realistic a jump from DD to AA really is.

Are these personal reasons likely to continue to affect your performance into Y13?
Reply 2
Are you not also doing General Studies? i found myself in the exact same position as you and did two a levels in my A2 year but also did the general studies exam which gave me the extra ucas points and quite a lot of uni's do accept it!
Reply 3
To get into a 260 UCAS point course, you'd need A*A with two A-levels or BCC with three. Those that ask for grades will probably want three therefore they are out of the question. As you can see, people with 3 A-levels have a massive advantage over those with less.

Is there any chance you could pick up two AS levels or another full A-level? (preferably the latter)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you have enough UCAS points, and the course does not specify that you need three A Levels, then you will be in contention for a place.

However, you will find yourself limited to the ex-polytechnic universities, and you must also consider how realistic a jump from DD to AA really is.

Are these personal reasons likely to continue to affect your performance into Y13?

No i should think i will be fine this year, DD to AA will certainly not be easy, but it's what i'm going to aim for, should i fall slightly short, so long as i really do my best this year, i will be happy
Reply 5
Original post by DanP4
Are you not also doing General Studies? i found myself in the exact same position as you and did two a levels in my A2 year but also did the general studies exam which gave me the extra ucas points and quite a lot of uni's do accept it!

I have the option but i felt that Two A levels whist resitting Two AS levels would leave me with something i could realistically manage. Adding another subject i worry would hinder me overall and it's not a subject i think i would like
Reply 6
Original post by Exon
To get into a 260 UCAS point course, you'd need A*A with two A-levels or BCC with three. Those that ask for grades will probably want three therefore they are out of the question. As you can see, people with 3 A-levels have a massive advantage over those with less.

Is there any chance you could pick up two AS levels or another full A-level? (preferably the latter)

Oh i know it would be harder for me than taking 3 a levels, but the only option for a 3rd i have is general studies which i do not particually want to take
I suggest you do take general studies if you want some extra points because some universities take it. It was general studies that saved my ass in the end, even though I got an E. :colondollar:

Also, like someone else said do you really think you could a D up to a A? You would have to do some serious studying and resits which would put a lot of pressure on you. I think you need to be totally committed if you wanted to pull up a grade by 3 grades, it is possible though.

The other option is to pick up another AS subject and go into a third year. I would personally go with this route because then even if you don't get the AA or AB you want you still got some extra time to resit once again and have another full grade which would mean you could get into a course that requires more points.

Remember, there isn't any rush to go to university. I know it would be frustrating to wait an extra year though, so don't push yourself too hard that you burn out during exam time. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Thing is i really don't want to do general studies. Could i not get into any OK universities with just getting two A grades in geog and econ? Or maybe A and B
Reply 9
Original post by d0mm
Thing is i really don't want to do general studies. Could i not get into any OK universities with just getting two A grades in geog and econ? Or maybe A and B

Good being top 40 ish? what course you want to do?

But generally you ain't got a shot in hell with 2 A levels. Also why would you carry on with only 2 D's. if you somehow got in at university .... very few grad schemes will take you which ultimately can wreck your employment prospects

Go and fast track an a level of at least redo 1/2AS's if your actually serious about getting in university. You will need ucas points in the future to set yourself off

You also think general studies takes a lot of time... Which certainly does not. I'm not sure whether that's your laziness or misunderstanding.

Probably in the era of BBC and below you may have a shot at. Again depends on what you want to study. But many 'good' university places will be taken quickly due to the lower ABB cap.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Yeah you can, but instead of entering at level 4, you can enter at level 3 (foundation year). It may not be ideal but if you do a foundation year at most unis then you can go on to do a wide range of subjects in that university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Jkizer
Good being top 40 ish? what course you want to do?

But generally you ain't got a shot in hell with 2 A levels. Also why would you carry on with only 2 D's. if you somehow got in at university .... very few grad schemes will take you which ultimately can wreck your employment prospects

Go and fast track an a level of at least redo 1/2AS's if your actually serious about getting in university. You will need ucas points in the future to set yourself off

You also think general studies takes a lot of time... Which certainly does not. I'm not sure whether that's your laziness or misunderstanding.

Probably in the era of BBC and below you may have a shot at. Again depends on what you want to study. But many 'good' university places will be taken quickly due to the lower ABB cap.
Posted from TSR Mobile

A mid table uni would be fine for me, i worry general studies will be a subject i just don't have any interest in which will cause me to do worse overall. I know with just geog and econ i can focus fully on them and actually enjoy the year. Last year doing Maths and Physics i was suicidally bored along with other issues meaning everything just go too much for me.

Surely If i got AA 240 ucas points that would allow me to get into an alight uni?

I hope to do something along the lines of business studies which did not look particularly competitive. At the start of the year Nottingham business studies only needed BBC. Nottingham is a pretty good uni so i was thinking if i applied for a uni not so good i'd get in?
Reply 12
Original post by d0mm

Some unis will accept general studies as a third A-Level (though it depends on the course), so doing it would really increase your chances- I know people who got offers from RG unis this year which included general studies. And it's really not much work, if any at all in preparation for the exam. Don't worry about 'doing' general studies as such- literally just take a look at a past paper and the pre-release a day before the exam and you're set; you really don't need to put that much effort in at all.
Reply 13
Do an applied course if ya can... Maybe IT or business... With the coursework side of it, May be an option alongside your other two. I wish i had done an applied a level.. Im stuck with bio, psych and geo for A2... Too much reading... Didnt take physics forward cause i got an E, horrible subject in my opinion...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Theoretically i could get into a uni with 2 a levels though? so long as i met the ucas points
Reply 15
Original post by d0mm
Theoretically i could get into a uni with 2 a levels though? so long as i met the ucas points

If they dont specify fully, you can.

But watch out for universities which state 'From 3 A levels' or what not. They will probably reject you straight away for not meeting requirements
Reply 16
Original post by Jkizer
If they dont specify fully, you can.

But watch out for universities which state 'From 3 A levels' or what not. They will probably reject you straight away for not meeting requirements

Gotcha, cheers buddy
Can I suggest that you retake the year and focus on three core AS subjects, before following with three A2 subjects the following year. Universities don't tend to mind if it takes three years rather than two years, as long as you achieve decent results (A/B).
Reply 18
If you don't get AA then what would you do, just retake the year, or start a btec and go to university that way. Also if you think you're capable of AA you should be capable of BBC/BBB

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
i'm starting to think it was mistake to not do general studies:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest