The Student Room Group

The importance of University prestige

Ks
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Prestige matters a lot, of course going to Oxford gives you better career prospects than Birmingham. Every year there are around 100,000 undergrads graduating with almost identical CVs and extra-curriculars, and the most obvious difference between them is the university they attended. That doesnt mean you wont be able to succeed with a Birmingham degree, but it will a bit harder and doors wont automatically open.

Nothing wrong with taking a gap year, and why would you need to stay at home? I dont know anything about your situation so its hard to say, but if you had good reason to think that taking a year out would give you a good chance of getting into Oxford/UCL/LSE and arent just engaging in wish-fulfilment, then its probably not a bad idea. But realistically, if you didnt get in this year, then why would you get in next year? And what if you lost out on the Birmingham place too?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by poohat
Prestige matters a lot, of course going to Oxford gives you better career prospects than Birmingham. Every year there are around 100,000 undergrads graduating with almost identical CVs and extra-curriculars, and the most obvious difference between them is the university they attended. That doesnt mean you wont be able to succeed with a Birmingham degree, but it will a bit harder and doors wont automatically open.

Nothing wrong with taking a gap year, and why would you need to stay at home? I dont know anything about your situation so its hard to say, but if you had good reason to think that taking a year out would give you a good chance of getting into Oxford/UCL/LSE and arent just engaging in wish-fulfilment, then its probably not a bad idea. But realistically, if you didnt get in this year, then why would you get in next year? And what if you lost out on the Birmingham place too?

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Ks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Defragmentation
Oxford obviously gives better career prospects than Birmingham, but I was just wondering whether going to Birmingham would actually be limiting. Surely no two CV's will ever be identical and even then there's always the interview which will certainly not be identical.

I received a conditional offer to study law at oxford this year. However missed it because I got A*A*B instead of the AAA that they asked for. I'd need to stay at home so I can re-sit Biology and get it upto an A. I know I'll find it much harder to get an offer again next time but I'm hoping that a good score on the LNAT can help matters. So yeah, it's a pretty big gamble, but perhaps it's one that can be justified?

Check whether you are allowed to re-take in a third year! For medicine, which I know is not relevant to you, but is the only example I am aware of, most of the thirty or so med schools will not consider your application if you don't get the grades within two years.

So, just make sure you know whether for Law you are allowed to re-take and that too at Oxford.

Best of luck :smile: x
Reply 5

Hey there

Does anyone know whether Nottingham is best for law compared with Birmingham?

Thanks
Original post by überambitious_ox
Check whether you are allowed to re-take in a third year! For medicine, which I know is not relevant to you, but is the only example I am aware of, most of the thirty or so med schools will not consider your application if you don't get the grades within two years.

So, just make sure you know whether for Law you are allowed to re-take and that too at Oxford.

Best of luck :smile: x

I called the Oxford college, and they said it should be okay :smile:

Original post by Hospetite
Hey there

Does anyone know whether Nottingham is best for law compared with Birmingham?

Thanks

I'd rate Nottingham above Birmingham.
Reply 7
I called the Oxford college, and they said it should be okay :smile:

I'd rate Nottingham above Birmingham.

Thank you very much.
Reply 8

I received a conditional offer to study law at oxford this year. However missed it because I got A*A*B instead of the AAA that they asked for. I'd need to stay at home so I can re-sit Biology and get it upto an A. I know I'll find it much harder to get an offer again next time but I'm hoping that a good score on the LNAT can help matters. So yeah, it's a pretty big gamble, but perhaps it's one that can be justified?

if retakes actually count (and I have no idea) then I'd probably retake if I were you. I know its hard to see it this way because you're young, but you're only losing a year of your life, while the difference between going to a great university and a decent one may affect you for many years after your degree. Plus, being a year older at university isnt a bad thing.

I wouldnt get too hungup on Oxford though because it would be very disappointing for you to spend a year retaking and not get in. But going to UCL/LSE instead is practically identical for all intents and purposes.

But you do really, really need to double check that resits count.
Reply 9
I don't think LSE take resits
University prestige has become a polarised area
Obviously in law it drags behind but the general census is
oxbridge first
then you have your london three and a couple of top performing northern unis
after this there is really not much difference between all the russell group institutes and their prestige will all be a much of a muchness
Most importantly get a first from any of these institutes and you will be loving life!
The question you have to ask is is it likely with retakes you will get A*AA or above and on top of that an offer from oxbridge for one of the most competitive degrees at the university or is it likely you could bag a first from birmingham
Both routes can put you in a good place to pick up an MC/US TC
On the other hand you have to weigh up another situation, with AAA at A level do you think you could get a 2:1 from oxbridge because it is a harder degree, or will you have more success with a 2:1 from Birmingham over a 2:2 from oxford ??
These are all things to to think about
prestige is the tip of the iceberg and should not really play a part in this quite serious choice you have to make
LSE does accept third year retakes, but supporting evidence for why you missed your grade in Bio would also help your application.

I know of a few people who did this and will still made offers.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Hey guys,

I realise there have probably been thousands of post regarding this very matter, but I'd really like to gain advice regarding my particular situation, and I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to help :smile:.

So, a couple of weeks ago I found out that I missed my offer to read Law at Oxford. I was absolutely gutted, but I didn't really have time to reflect on my decision or feel sorry for myself due to the sheer swiftness necessitated by the clearing process. In the end, I managed to secure an offer to read History at Birmingham.

However, now that some time has passed, I'm starting to second-guess this decision. I'm now contemplating taking a gap year and reapplying to the likes of Oxford, UCL, LSE and Durham again. However, the thought of taking a gap year actually depresses me; it's so unplanned and i have a feeling it'd be a pretty grim year having to stay at home. The only real reason I would do it is if it considerably improved my prospects for obtaining a training contract at US / MC firm. I know it's naive to aim for these firms as I have no real experience of what it may be like to work there, but I've always aimed at the most selective institutions and used it as a motivator.

So, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions about my prospects if I went to Birmingham? Would it be significantly more difficult for me to attain a TC at an MC / US with a degree from Birmingham than say a degree from Oxford, UCL, LSE or Durham? Similarly, are there any firms that would practically be off-limits because they recruit almost exclusively from Oxbridge and London? OR is the importance of the prestige of the university exaggerated on TSR? Would a good degree from Birmingham with good extra-curricular and legal work experience place me in a good position for attaining a TC at any firm in the city :tongue:?

Thanks you :smile:

Alright mate, sorry to hear about this - I went through something very similar - absolutely gut-wrenching!

You have received some good advice, I'll just add advice from another perspective. Attending said universities would enhance your application to City firms, they are more targeted and would make things a little easier (not that Bham will particularly hold you back). Is this slight ease of entry worth a gap year, and the risk associated with it?

Peers of mine have been able to secure Law offers from Bristol/Notts/Warwick and the like with AAA/AAB at A2 level. I can't imagine you struggling either, especially if you had a good enough LNAT/PS to secure an oxford offer; besides, Warwick do not use the LNAT and universities like Bristol are pretty relaxed about it to say the least.

Reiterating this, but as another user said: Do you think you will be able to push that B up to an A? You can't always rely on receiving unconditional offers and the very same could happen if you narrowly miss that A next time round. If that happens, how will you get yourself out of that one?

Really think this one through; try to analyse the risk to come up with a decision.

Let us know what you decide, and good luck with it all!
Reply 12
Take the gap year man. Don't pay 9k a year for Birmingham, it is not worth it. Choose a worse course at an elite university by all means, but, don't attend somewhere like Birmingham. I went to an RG2 university and i regret it.
Original post by Mr_Vain
Take the gap year man. Don't pay 9k a year for Birmingham, it is not worth it. Choose a worse course at an elite university by all means, but, don't attend somewhere like Birmingham. I went to an RG2 university and i regret it.

Nice to see that someone has been converted to Zenomorph's school of thought.

[h="1"]
Original post by woody-wood
I don't think LSE take resits
University prestige has become a polarised area
Obviously in law it drags behind but the general census is
oxbridge first
then you have your london three and a couple of top performing northern unis
after this there is really not much difference between all the russell group institutes and their prestige will all be a much of a muchness
Most importantly get a first from any of these institutes and you will be loving life!
The question you have to ask is is it likely with retakes you will get A*AA or above and on top of that an offer from oxbridge for one of the most competitive degrees at the university or is it likely you could bag a first from birmingham
Both routes can put you in a good place to pick up an MC/US TC
On the other hand you have to weigh up another situation, with AAA at A level do you think you could get a 2:1 from oxbridge because it is a harder degree, or will you have more success with a 2:1 from Birmingham over a 2:2 from oxford ??
These are all things to to think about
prestige is the tip of the iceberg and should not really play a part in this quite serious choice you have to make

You can get into LSE with resits. I did.

OP has A*A*B at A-Level which is very good grade wise and if not for red tape would probably have allowed him into Oxford

OP, we've spoken, but this was my very first thread on TSR. I personally think you'll get 1 or 2 Unconditionals. I just think the big question here is Law or History?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2098256
Reply 15
Original post by Selym95
Alright mate, sorry to hear about this - I went through something very similar - absolutely gut-wrenching!

You have received some good advice, I'll just add advice from another perspective. Attending said universities would enhance your application to City firms, they are more targeted and would make things a little easier (not that Bham will particularly hold you back). Is this slight ease of entry worth a gap year, and the risk associated with it?

Peers of mine have been able to secure Law offers from Bristol/Notts/Warwick and the like with AAA/AAB at A2 level. I can't imagine you struggling either, especially if you had a good enough LNAT/PS to secure an oxford offer; besides, Warwick do not use the LNAT and universities like Bristol are pretty relaxed about it to say the least.

Reiterating this, but as another user said: Do you think you will be able to push that B up to an A? You can't always rely on receiving unconditional offers and the very same could happen if you narrowly miss that A next time round. If that happens, how will you get yourself out of that one?

Really think this one through; try to analyse the risk to come up with a decision.

Let us know what you decide, and good luck with it all!

It can and it most probably will. The economy is on the verge of absolute meltdown (within the next 20 years) when (not if) interest rates go up, do you think anyone in the sector is safe in terms of long term job security when you consider this? It is going to be the creme de la creme in the jobs because law firms (like virtually ever other part of the economy) will be squeezed when interest rates kick up. The debt the nation owes stands at 900% of our economy, interest rates are at an all time low and we are still paying 55bn in interest, that is at 0% interest. 1% (100bn) or 2% (200bn) and we become Greece.

I.e. in this context, unless you're going for the elite and 'save yourself', why bother? The only economic situation I can think of which has been worse than ours (because we're worse than all of greece, spain, italy) is the Weimar Republic who had a national debt of 913% of their economy.
Another very historically recent episode? Argentina in the 20th century, similar set of facts.

You can choose to ignore this in making your choice, but, I would advse against this.

My advice as a law graduate: Get an economically helpful degree, (e.g. Economics, Economic History, etc) and just use the degree to help educate yourself on how to escape what is a unique time in history we find ourselves in. Also, forget about the lesser unis, only go for the very top.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Cutmeloose
Nice to see that someone has been converted to Zenomorph's school of thought.

Well, considering that I started threads out of my own accord then i would suggest that you are talking absolute ****. That being said, we have exchanged views via PM and the guy is correct. It is not the fault of students, it is economic reality and having been sold an inflated product. The problem is with the education market itself, inflated, like most things these days.
Reply 17
Original post by Mr_Vain
It can and it most probably will. The economy is on the verge of absolute meltdown (within the next 20 years) when (not if) interest rates go up, do you think anyone in the sector is safe in terms of long term job security when you consider this? It is going to be the creme de la creme in the jobs because law firms (like virtually ever other part of the economy) will be squeezed when interest rates kick up. The debt the nation owes stands at 900% of our economy, interest rates are at an all time low and we are still paying 55bn in interest, that is at 0% interest. 1% (100bn) or 2% (200bn) and we become Greece.

I.e. in this context, unless you're going for the elite and 'save yourself', why bother? The only economic situation I can think of which has been worse than ours (because we're worse than all of greece, spain, italy) is the Weimar Republic who had a national debt of 913% of their economy.
Another very historically recent episode? Argentina in the 20th century, similar set of facts.

You can choose to ignore this in making your choice, but, I would advse against this.

My advice as a law graduate: Get an economically helpful degree, (e.g. Economics, Economic History, etc) and just use the degree to help educate yourself on how to escape what is a unique time in history we find ourselves in. Also, forget about the lesser unis, only go for the very top.

I wouldn't disagree with you entirely. Admittedly, those who attend the very debatable 'top 10 universities' are more likely to secure decent job offers, and consequently 'save themselves' as you put it.

However, I wouldn't let the seeming bleak future deter me from studying a pretty rigorous subject like History at a decent university. A fellow TSR user on here and a Southampton Law grad commented on being 1 of 3 from his course to gain TCs from A&O. If this is representative of other standard Russels, (which I don't doubt) surely opportunities for progression from 'non-elite' institutions aren't that woeful. In my opinion, and unfortunately, that's the only justification I can offer, TSR in general, seems to exaggerate the importance of university prestige.
Reply 18
Original post by Selym95
I wouldn't disagree with you entirely. Admittedly, those who attend the very debatable 'top 10 universities' are more likely to secure decent job offers, and consequently 'save themselves' as you put it.

However, I wouldn't let the seeming bleak future deter me from studying a pretty rigorous subject like History at a decent university. A fellow TSR user on here and a Southampton Law grad commented on being 1 of 3 from his course to gain TCs from A&O. If this is representative of other standard Russels, (which I don't doubt) surely opportunities for progression from 'non-elite' institutions aren't that woeful. In my opinion, and unfortunately, that's the only justification I can offer, TSR in general, seems to exaggerate the importance of university prestige.

TSR exaggerates the importance of university full stop. I admire the guy who starts his own successful business and thinks outside the box straight out from school just as much as the kid who went to Oxbridge. It's the passion and perseverance that counts imho.
Hey guys,

I realise there have probably been thousands of post regarding this very matter, but I'd really like to gain advice regarding my particular situation, and I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to help :smile:.

So, a couple of weeks ago I found out that I missed my offer to read Law at Oxford. I was absolutely gutted, but I didn't really have time to reflect on my decision or feel sorry for myself due to the sheer swiftness necessitated by the clearing process. In the end, I managed to secure an offer to read History at Birmingham.

However, now that some time has passed, I'm starting to second-guess this decision. I'm now contemplating taking a gap year and reapplying to the likes of Oxford, UCL, LSE and Durham again. However, the thought of taking a gap year actually depresses me; it's so unplanned and i have a feeling it'd be a pretty grim year having to stay at home. The only real reason I would do it is if it considerably improved my prospects for obtaining a training contract at US / MC firm. I know it's naive to aim for these firms as I have no real experience of what it may be like to work there, but I've always aimed at the most selective institutions and used it as a motivator.

So, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions about my prospects if I went to Birmingham? Would it be significantly more difficult for me to attain a TC at an MC / US with a degree from Birmingham than say a degree from Oxford, UCL, LSE or Durham? Similarly, are there any firms that would practically be off-limits because they recruit almost exclusively from Oxbridge and London? OR is the importance of the prestige of the university exaggerated on TSR? Would a good degree from Birmingham with good extra-curricular and legal work experience place me in a good position for attaining a TC at any firm in the city :tongue:?

Thanks you :smile:

I guess the first point I would make would be that if you missed your Oxford offer this year, then if you re-apply with the same A-Levels, would you not be unlikely to get an offer, and in the process have wasted a spot at Birmingham?

I think if you work hard and get a good degree grade from Birmingham, then you can do anything you want to do. It's all about putting the effort in to ensure you get maximum output :smile: All the best with your studies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending