The Student Room Group

Approaches - questions (C) and (D)

I'm fine with the first two questions, but with the second two I get stuck!!

For (c) are there any specific methods of investigating the scenario for each approach, e.g. psychodynamic you can probably use free association.
If anyone can give me a few ideas of ways in which you can investiage the scenarios for each appraoch (pychodynamic, behavioural, biological and cognitive) that would be great:biggrin:

and for (d) I find my self giving a general evaluation of the investigation method rather than evaluating it in terms of the scenario! Any ideas of how to relate it back?

Is anyone else having this problem?
Reply 1
I have the smae problem - any help would be fab.
Reply 2
For psychodynamic I would mention case studies, psychonanalysis (free association and dream analysis), then for (d) say case studies are biased (white, middleclass nuerotics). the lack of falsifiability in Freuds psycholonalysis (relies on therapists interpretation) and that recollection may be inaccurate.

Im only studying the psychodynamic approach and the behavioural approach so for (c) in the behavioural approach I would explain the expiremental method in the context of the question and then for (d) the limitations again for such methods eg demand characteristics, validity, culture specific etc.
Reply 3
The behaviourists love lab experiments! Assuming yor part a) includes some sort of operant conditioning/reinforcement you always can design an experiment where p's receive, e.g., praise or no praise following an activity. You would predict that the group with praise would be more likely to want to repeat the activity. Best not to include a punishment/criticism condition for ethical reasons!
e.g. investigate love of cooking by bringing p's into lab, required to cook a meal for others (confederates) who then praise/don't praise, etc.
Think also about sampling, design, controls.

SLT allows for observational learning, so if you cover this in part a) you are free to design an experiment where p's observe others doing something (real life or video) and have positive/negative consequences. Prediction as above. If you know hte Bobo doll studies you can quite easily modify any of these to suit your purpose.

For d) you can apply criticism of lab expt's to your study, the trick of engaging is to explain the criticism for your study rather than keeping it general.
e.g. experiment into the role of reinforcement in love of cooking for others lacks ecologicial validity; this is because in real life you would cook and be praised/criticised by people you know rather than strangers, so the effect may be different.
e.g. the use of independent groups design means that p's may have been different in attitudes for cooking at the start of the study so the results are not necessarily due to the praise or lack of from the confederates.
Reply 4
Thanks guys, I am going to learn behaviour, psychodynamic and biological!

Btw how the hell do you carry out dream analysis? Ain't studied that. Do you just monitor sleep patterns or something?
Reply 5
I am only learning Behaviourist (Social Learning Theory) and Biological (along with diathesis-Stress model). Based on previous papers, I think i can apply both of these to practically any scenario, at a push.

I will always focus on behaviourist after question A and my methodology always involves a variation of Banduras' bobo doll study. If the sample are watching the model recieve praise or even punishment, there are no ethical concerns. You can then get the participants to complete a rating scale after the experiment, based on the behaviour referenced in the scenario. Then all you have to do is criticise the study whilst referring to the particular behaviour.

e.g. A strenght of this method is that easy manipulation of the dependant variable (film watched) and measurement of the indepandant variable (response/rating) enables us to establish a cause and effect in action. We may determine for example, that the observation of positive reinforcement increases the participant's opinion of "gardening".

it is related to the methodology by referring to both the dependant and independant variable and related to the stimulus material by referring to the particular behaviour.

Hope that helps.
Reply 6
"e.g. A strenght of this method is that easy manipulation of the dependant variable (film watched) and measurement of the indepandant variable (response/rating) enables us to establish a cause and effect in action. We may determine for example, that the observation of positive reinforcement increases the participant's opinion of "gardening". "

thanks for all the help. oneeee teeny thing though. wouldn't the dependant variable be the ratings/response since that is what you are measuring?
Reply 7
cordelia
"e.g. A strenght of this method is that easy manipulation of the dependant variable (film watched) and measurement of the indepandant variable (response/rating) enables us to establish a cause and effect in action. We may determine for example, that the observation of positive reinforcement increases the participant's opinion of "gardening". "

thanks for all the help. oneeee teeny thing though. wouldn't the dependant variable be the ratings/response since that is what you are measuring?

Absolutely right, my mistake.
Reply 8
I have written and attempted to remember some generic responses which should apply to at least one of the two scenarios. (If not, I think I could bend them a little to fit the stimulus material).

For anyone experiencing difficulities with this section, here is an example:

Biological: The biological approach might explain the desire to partake in "such behaviour" as being the result of internal, physiological changes. Prior to participating in "such behaviour", the individual concerned would be expected to experience anxiety and nervousness. Hormonal secretions (Adrenaline, Nor-Adrenaline) would result in a variety of changes including increased heart rate, hyperventilation, perspiration etc, which are generally attributable to the "fight or flight" response. As the term implies, this phsyically prepares the body for optimum performance, be it fight or flight. This reaction is likely to be percieved as excitement/exhilleration which is generally regarded as a positive experience. As such, the behaviour would be expected to recur.
Based on the diathesis-stress model, an individual with a biological vulnerability such as abnormally high adrenaline levels (resulting in bodily arousal) coupled with environmental stress factors such as the loss of a job, bereavement etc may be more likely to engage in "such behaviour". By experiencing the exhilleration/excitement, their mood may be lifted, thus helping them cope with said stressful events.

I have a similar answer for all sections, although I haven't internalised it all yet. I will just remember a number of cues I imagine.
Reply 9
Just a word of advice - an answer such as the one above will get about 2 out of 6 marks necause of lack of engagement. Examiners are alert to this practice of just inserting words and award low marks. You must shape your material to the stimulus.
Reply 10
flangey
Just a word of advice - an answer such as the one above will get about 2 out of 6 marks necause of lack of engagement. Examiners are alert to this practice of just inserting words and award low marks. You must shape your material to the stimulus.

i realise this. Thankyou for your concern, but it is just a general framework. My actual answer would be more engaged with the stimulus material. I have used this approach for all approaches questions so far and have always achieved A's. The question above doesnt refer to the stimulus material that much, mainly because there is none. It's difficult to phrase an essay without a particular form of behaviour in mind. That's just how I go about remembering all I need to know.
outcast
i realise this. Thankyou for your concern, but it is just a general framework. My actual answer would be more engaged with the stimulus material. I have used this approach for all approaches questions so far and have always achieved A's. The question above doesnt refer to the stimulus material that much, mainly because there is none. It's difficult to phrase an essay without a particular form of behaviour in mind. That's just how I go about remembering all I need to know.

i think your response was good.
better than anything i could ever come up with, anyway!:redface:
Reply 12
Miss.P
Thanks guys, I am going to learn behaviour, psychodynamic and biological!

Btw how the hell do you carry out dream analysis? Ain't studied that. Do you just monitor sleep patterns or something?
you make them sleep in a sleep laboratory. attach electrodes to their head (an electroencaphalogram), wake them up with an alarm every time the brain waves indicate REM sleep, they have to say what they were dreaming into a microphone. If the investigator wants to know more, they come in. Then they go back to sleep and you keep doing the same thing.

obviously lacks ecological validity
Hiya guys,
Don't suppose anyone could help me out with socially sensitive research? It's the only issue i don't think i could write a good essay on!
kate xxx
Reply 14
I find evaluating socially sensitive research really hard I pray that it does not come up!
Reply 15
Saffie
you make them sleep in a sleep laboratory. attach electrodes to their head (an electroencaphalogram), wake them up with an alarm every time the brain waves indicate REM sleep, they have to say what they were dreaming into a microphone. If the investigator wants to know more, they come in. Then they go back to sleep and you keep doing the same thing.

obviously lacks ecological validity

That's only the beginning, though - you then have to analyse and translate form the manifest content (as reported by the dreamer) to the latent content (the unconscious wishes or repessed issues the symbols in the dream represent). Give some examples of what symbols mgiht appear in the dream and how you might interpret them - link it in with what you said in part a) to make sure you're engaging with the stimuluus material, e.g. in part a) if you have anal fixation, look for mud or earth in the dream which may represent poo!! lol or social anxiety in the dream could symbolise early anxiety of being sat on the potty in front of parents who are waiting for you to 'perform'!

Hehe - don't you jsut love Freud? :biggrin:
Dont Forget With Psychodynamic Methods Of Treatments Such As Free-association And Hypnoses Or Whatever< They Usually Apply To Intelligent People And They Are Time Consuming And Costly

You Do Not Get An Answer After 1 Session Usually

Latest

Trending

Trending