Alexandra97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have recently left school and will be starting college in a few days time. I have heard that A levels are really hard and that there is a massive jump from GCSE. I achieved mostly A*s and a couple of A's at GCSE, but I've been told that many people who got these sorts of grades can end up with D's at A level! I was just wondering which A levels are considered the hardest and which are easier? I am taking History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry.. Also do you have any tips on revision and how to do well at A level, thanks.
BayHarborButcher
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alexandra97)
I have recently left school and will be starting college in a few days time. I have heard that A levels are really hard and that there is a massive jump from GCSE. I achieved mostly A*s and a couple of A's at GCSE, but I've been told that many people who got these sorts of grades can end up with D's at A level! I was just wondering which A levels are considered the hardest and which are easier? I am taking History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry.. Also do you have any tips on revision and how to do well at A level, thanks.
It's sooooo subjective that I'm not gonna say, but I know people who just blagged GCSE and got good grades, but at A-level if you do know work then you are screweddd. Get the work done and AS will be fine, IMO the jump from AS to A2 is worse than GCSE to AS, but AS will catch a lot of people off guard. The only subject I do there is chemistry and I've heard A LOT of people saying it's their hardest subject, obvs don't know how true that it, for me it would be physics, but if you knuckle down it shouldnt be a problem!!
Muppet Science
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Apparently Chemistry A-level is the hardest A-level. According to some number crunching it has the highest drop off in A* grades of any subject, i.e. out of those who got A* at GCSE it has the lowest proportion getting A* at A-level. However, this came from my Chemistry teacher (biased... no...) and I have not actually seen the numbers myself. But from personal experience it was my hardest A-level, out of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Also in the running would be the other sciences and maths. It does however depend on the individual, for me I can do Biology with relative ease but ask me to do French A-level and I would fail horribly.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Out of the ones you are taking I only took biology and chemistry, but out of the two I found Chemistry the hardest to learn, but also Biology exams are quite hard as the only way to really do well in the exams is learning the exam technique, you can know the whole textbook inside out, but if you have no exam technique you could still end up with a C/D I personally thought the jump for GCSE to AS was insane and the jump from AS to A2 is alright, just work consistently hard! Also revise smarty at A level as appose to spending hours writing out a textbook, do this by doing past papers and practice questions, especially for the sciences, this will hopefully master your exam technique which is imperative in the exams! For History, I guess practice the essays, but as I didn't take the subject I can hardly advise. Any way, good luck
karoia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have just done my AS levels and got four As in Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics. Personally I didn't find the transition to bad, in fact some of the things you learn explain phenomena that you learnt at GCSE but didn't go into detail, so it helps you remember some topics much better.

However, do not get complacent, it is easy to get marked down in coursework and this can really impact your grade. Revise early and you'll be fine. Don't do what I did and schedule your DofE exped and work experience in the Easter break. That's probably the time you'll want to start receiving as AS starts in mid May . I indeed know people who got A*/A in some subjects at GCSE and got two Us in August.

Hardest A levels? Depends on what kind of person you are, I would find a subject like Music abhorrent, but I think typically people find Chemistry and Physics hard, Maths always seems to go one of two ways, you ace it or fail it. I can't really speak on History or Eng Lit, but from what I hear they are alright.

How to do well? It sounds bad but the mark schemes tell you way more than your textbooks in respect to how to answer questions, so just do as many past papers as avaliable. That way you can be certain you'll score the marks.

What are you thinking about at Uni?
Muppet Science
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
the only way to really do well in the exams is learning the exam technique
Pretty much true for every A-level. I once had a Biology teacher write on my mock paper to simplify my answers as I was missing all the easy marks and my wording for the harder marks was not to AQA's satisfaction.

There was also another brilliant one in Chemistry where if you did not say 'very' then you did not get the mark... why oh why AQA?
Lord Frieza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Physics is the hardest
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Further Maths, surely? How many people actually get an A in that?
MrSupernova
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CJKay)
Only about 50% of the people who take it...
Alexandra97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by karoia)
I have just done my AS levels and got four As in Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics. Personally I didn't find the transition to bad, in fact some of the things you learn explain phenomena that you learnt at GCSE but didn't go into detail, so it helps you remember some topics much better.

However, do not get complacent, it is easy to get marked down in coursework and this can really impact your grade. Revise early and you'll be fine. Don't do what I did and schedule your DofE exped and work experience in the Easter break. That's probably the time you'll want to start receiving as AS starts in mid May . I indeed know people who got A*/A in some subjects at GCSE and got two Us in August.

Hardest A levels? Depends on what kind of person you are, I would find a subject like Music abhorrent, but I think typically people find Chemistry and Physics hard, Maths always seems to go one of two ways, you ace it or fail it. I can't really speak on History or Eng Lit, but from what I hear they are alright.

How to do well? It sounds bad but the mark schemes tell you way more than your textbooks in respect to how to answer questions, so just do as many past papers as avaliable. That way you can be certain you'll score the marks.

What are you thinking about at Uni?
Okay thanks, I did find science a lot harder than History and English at GCSE (I didn't even revise for history but got a higher A* than in science where I did hours of revision) so I'm guessing it will probably be the same at A level. I'm not really sure what I want to do at uni, thats why I'm trying to keep most things open by taking two sciences and two arts.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Muppet Science)
Pretty much true for every A-level. I once had a Biology teacher write on my mock paper to simplify my answers as I was missing all the easy marks and my wording for the harder marks was not to AQA's satisfaction.

There was also another brilliant one in Chemistry where if you did not say 'very' then you did not get the mark... why oh why AQA?
I would agree with a few exceptions, for geography I was able to not do past papers yet still achieve a high B, but it is definitely true for Science subjects! AQA are the burden of A level, even though you may understand the what the question is answering, and can even answering, if you don't have simple key words, you are not getting the marks
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Without wishing to sound facetious, the hardest A level is the one for which you personally have the least natural aptitude, and that is going to be different for everyone. Although it is clearly an extraordinarily difficult task to get right, the aim in creating A levels was to make them all of the same level of difficulty to enable universities to have a benchmark test on which to judge applicants. There's never going to be a 'right' answer to this question.
Zhy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my opinion, Further Maths Additional (assuming only combinations of high-end modules are used, inclusive of M4/M5) and Chemistry are among the hardest.
karoia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MrSupernova)
Only about 50% of the people who take it...
People who do it get good results because it attracts the best mathematicians. To be honest, why would you take Further Maths if you're not good at Maths? For everyone else it's horrendous.
ChildishHambino
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CJKay)
Universally probably FM or Chemistry but as a further maths student I probably have a better chance of getting an A in FM than ever getting an A* in say Art. So really it's still pretty subjective.
username1107833
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it was Durham who carried out the research but they came up with some answers:

The hardest: CHEMISTRY 0.96, PHYSICS 0.95, GENSTUDIES 0.87, BIOLOGY 0.81, MATHS 0.52, FRENCH 0.51, GERMAN 0.50, HISTORY 0.24

The easiest: FILM STUDIES -1.79, MEDIA -1.00, PHOTOGRAPHY -0.82, DRAMA -0.70, ENG LANG -0.43, ENGLISH -0.43, ENG LIT -0.30, GEOGRAPHY -0.13

I believe they looked at the predicted grades, compared them to their actual grades, then took into account the national average or something like that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...rs-857643.html
karoia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay thanks, I did find science a lot harder than History and English at GCSE (I didn't even revise for history but got a higher A* than in science where I did hours of revision) so I'm guessing it will probably be the same at A level. I'm not really sure what I want to do at uni, thats why I'm trying to keep most things open by taking two sciences and two arts.
Well you've chosen the best options if you do that, they're all facilitating subjects and ironically Chemistry is often the only required subject for most Biology degrees. Seems that your strengths are in the Humanities, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Part of the fun of being in Sixth Form is scaring people about how difficult it is, but really if you work hard it'll be a breeze.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well out of my subjects I found English Language the hardest (and dropped it at AS). out of the ones I finished I suppose maths was my hardest as it was my lowest result, then chemistry. biology and physics were fairly easy.

edit: why the neg? seriously?
Etoile
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OCR English Literature. 90% for an A. F*** you, OCR.

(Original post by theCreator)
I think it was Durham who carried out the research but they came up with some answers:

The hardest: CHEMISTRY 0.96, PHYSICS 0.95, GENSTUDIES 0.87, BIOLOGY 0.81, MATHS 0.52, FRENCH 0.51, GERMAN 0.50, HISTORY 0.24

The easiest: FILM STUDIES -1.79, MEDIA -1.00, PHOTOGRAPHY -0.82, DRAMA -0.70, ENG LANG -0.43, ENGLISH -0.43, ENG LIT -0.30, GEOGRAPHY -0.13

I believe they looked at the predicted grades, compared them to their actual grades, then took into account the national average or something like that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...rs-857643.html
Come on, General Studies is hardly going to be one of the most difficult. People get bad results in it because they don't take it seriously, not because it's hard.
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I took AS biology, chemistry, maths and music! All hard but maths is worst!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.38%
I'm not sure (8)
3.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (88)
37.61%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.71%
I'm not a current university student (98)
41.88%

Watched Threads