The Student Room Group

What is it like working for boots?

I have just turned 16 and have handed my CV out to SO many places but none of them ever get back to me. I applied online for a christmas temp job at boots a couple of days ago and they emailed me today asking me to do an online assessment. I filled it in and I'm now waiting for them to get back to me. I was just wondering what are they like to work for? Also what would I be payed at 16? Does boots look good on your CV as somewhere to work or would somewhere like Topshop (where I would ideally work) look better? Also what sort of things do they ask you in the interview? Thankyou
Reply 1
Original post by Alexandra97
I have just turned 16 and have handed my CV out to SO many places but none of them ever get back to me. I applied online for a christmas temp job at boots a couple of days ago and they emailed me today asking me to do an online assessment. I filled it in and I'm now waiting for them to get back to me. I was just wondering what are they like to work for? Also what would I be payed at 16? Does boots look good on your CV as somewhere to work or would somewhere like Topshop (where I would ideally work) look better? Also what sort of things do they ask you in the interview? Thankyou

Just giving this a bit of a bump to see if anyone can help you :smile:

To answer your last question, working at Boots would look good on your CV - it's a well respected chain. Unless you particularly want to work in fashion retail, I don't see why Topshop would be better from an employers perspective. Good luck with getting the job :smile:
Reply 2
well, i worked at boots at 16.. i'm 17 now but i was 16 when i had the job. I'm kinda hoping that I can work there again soon lol.. but yeah it's a good place, the people were nice, the training was good and yeah like someone said, Boots is quite an established company, so it looks good. I got payed around £7.50 an hour, but that's purely because I worked in central London..i'd say it's a great company to work for :>
oh i've had three boots interviews and i usually got asked questions like: why do you want to work for boots? what can you offer (skills) to boots? how do you cope with pressure? give an example of good customer service you've delivered? when have you experienced great customer service? how have you handled a difficult situation? how would you motivate a team? how would you deal with a difficult customer? how would you make a customer feel welcome? check the boots thread for more lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I work for boots, admittedly there are conflicting opinions depending on the store but as a graduate with an ounce of common sense and competence I hate it there, where as the school leaver that is always late, leaves early and works slower than everyone else loves it and is treated well. I have found that I am not treated well because I am older than almost all the managers, it was worked out that the average age of the managers in my store is around 23, the reason it is bumped up is because there are 2-3 who are in their late 20s or 30s. Our store has a 60-80% yearly turnover and the assistant managers complain about the number of interviews they are always having to do. I have seen two sides to the boots story. The school leavers fare better because boots can train them up compared to those older who have experience and can get stuck in their old ways. I'm hoping to leave in the coming months as it's been the worst few months of my life. I can only comment on my own store but then again I've heard of it happening in other stores.
Reply 4
Original post by amy2311
I work for boots, admittedly there are conflicting opinions depending on the store but as a graduate with an ounce of common sense and competence I hate it there, where as the school leaver that is always late, leaves early and works slower than everyone else loves it and is treated well. I have found that I am not treated well because I am older than almost all the managers, it was worked out that the average age of the managers in my store is around 23, the reason it is bumped up is because there are 2-3 who are in their late 20s or 30s. Our store has a 60-80% yearly turnover and the assistant managers complain about the number of interviews they are always having to do. I have seen two sides to the boots story. The school leavers fare better because boots can train them up compared to those older who have experience and can get stuck in their old ways. I'm hoping to leave in the coming months as it's been the worst few months of my life. I can only comment on my own store but then again I've heard of it happening in other stores.

Boots is private equity owned for the moment, once it's sold on to Walgreens in full it'll settle back down again with fewer zero hour contracts and the like.

I worked there for a while when I'd recently graduated and agree the managers can be a pain, but the advantage to them being so young is that if you tell them you're not doing something they tend not to challenge you over it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending